Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Binnington vs. Husso?

Blues #1 goaltender?

• Jake Allen

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Jordan Binnington

Votes: 95 74.8%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Jared Koreau

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Evan Fitzpatrick

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I voted for Husso and still believe he will wind up the other threat in a Binny/Husso combo. Changed my vote tonight to Binny only to show solidarity so we can get the hell rid of Jake Allen. There are no more excuses gang, he needs to go!

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
[QUOTE="haruspex, post: 157522591, member: 157205
Yb0toW3.jpg

lmaoooo[/QUOTE]

Will Husso stay between the pipes? Does anyone recall that time Jake came out above the dots to play a puck and got burnt?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
JR trying to make the case for Allen as the starter after playing well recently.

I don’t get it. Barring Allen getting a shutout every game from here to the Cup finals he shouldn’t be a Blue next year. JR almost acts as if Blues fans have no memory. Korac is guilty of the same stuff. Maybe they get free Blues shwag if they keep criticism to a minimum. Who knows?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
JR trying to make the case for Allen as the starter after playing well recently.

I don’t get it. Barring Allen getting a shutout every game from here to the Cup finals he shouldn’t be a Blue next year. JR almost acts as if Blues fans have no memory. Korac is guilty of the same stuff. Maybe they get free Blues shwag if they keep criticism to a minimum. Who knows?

JR is a silly pot stirrer. Just trying to rake up some controversy for click bait.

Jake is a known quantity at this point. He is not a #1 goaltender and will inevitably let you down if you put him in that position......period......end of story......the book of evidence is full.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
For what it's worth, I voted Allen a long time ago and haven't bothered to change it. I choose not to participate in this mockery of a thread. Carry on!
I've not posted much lately. If you don't have the "hive mind" you're opinion isn't valid.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I've not posted much lately. If you don't have the "hive mind" you're opinion isn't valid.

Yeah I get it. Either that or you've got some people who just want to repeat the same things over and over again. Not really interested in having a conversation with someone like that.

The fact that a guy who isn't even in the NHL has 10 votes and even Fitzpatrick and Coreau have votes kind of shows how useful this thread is.

Yeah I get it, Allen has been frustrating. But I would think that Blues fans should be pulling for him to figure it out, not taking every opportunity to bash and mock the guy.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I don't see him championing Allen like you're implying. I read the article and he backs up his case with stats. If Allen finishes the year on a positive note....isnt that best for all parties involved if the Blues wish to move on from this song and dance?

Binnington hasnt been as sharp over the last couple games, who knows why. I dont see him getting beat to the same area, so I don't think teams know how to shoot on him now, even if they did(applies to all goalies) he'll need to adjust. Heck, even in the article JR says he just may need a short break given the amount of hockey he's played.

The title of the article is irritating but I don't see the article as some malicious fluff job.
JR is a silly pot stirrer. Just trying to rake up some controversy for click bait.

Jake is a known quantity at this point. He is not a #1 goaltender and will inevitably let you down if you put him in that position......period......end of story......the book of evidence is full.
The.Athletic.is.not.click.bait.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I don't see him championing Allen like you're implying. I read the article and he backs up his case with stats. If Allen finishes the year on a positive note....isnt that best for all parties involved if the Blues wish to move on from this song and dance?

Binnington hasnt been as sharp over the last couple games, who knows why. I dont see him getting beat to the same area, so I don't think teams know how to shoot on him now, even if they did(applies to all goalies) he'll need to adjust. Heck, even in the article JR says he just may need a short break given the amount of hockey he's played.

The title of the article is irritating but I don't see the article as some malicious fluff job.
The.Athletic.is.not.click.bait.

I don't think JR wrote the article as a means to champion the cause for Allen. Here's my only rub with it. He knew before writing the article how it would be received. He said so on twitter haha. So what exactly is the point? Is the point of the article to invoke Blues fans to carefully consider all things Allen related or is it more stirring the pot? He already knew it would stir the pot so I just don't see it being great journalism. Meh.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't think JR wrote the article as a means to champion the cause for Allen. Here's my only rub with it. He knew before writing the article how it would be received. He said so on twitter haha. So what exactly is the point? Is the point of the article to invoke Blues fans to carefully consider all things Allen related or is it more stirring the pot? He already knew it would stir the pot so I just don't see it being great journalism. Meh.

The point was that it’s a possibility. It might not be popular, but he’s saying it’s out there.

We all probably disagree with it but that doesn’t make any less unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The point was that it’s a possibility. It might not be popular, but he’s saying it’s out there.

We all probably disagree with it but that doesn’t make any less unlikely to happen.

Agreed.

This is a little off-topic but I'll circle around and tie a ribbon with the thought haha.

Berube has gotten a lot of praise for turning the season around. So much that most media think he's almost a shoe in at this point to be given an extension. I've yet to see one media member give examples of how Berube has changed the play style or anything tactical for said change to occur. He's still playing man to man defense in the defensive zone. He still relies on a dump and chase style game and try to wear down the team deep in the offensive zone. The only thing that's changed is how the players perform vs when Yeo was the coach. The system is the same, for the most part. The Blues aren't doing the home run pass as much under Berube to a guy sitting still at the blue line. So is Berube the coach of the future because he's a better motivator? Are the players even performing better because of Berube or did the hockey law of averages play out?

Here's my thought ribbon.

I don't necessarily see a big reason why Berube is the guy of the future. Yes he should get some credit for this season's turn around but I see the same system in place. Even though I don't necessarily agree with Berube being resigned it's likely to happen.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Right up there with his other great pieces like trade deadline look at every single player as a trade possibility, saying almost nothing amd with no inside information. It was literally like a Trade Forum post from a bored teenager.

Reactions: Blueston

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The bigger problem with Jake Allen is his contract. I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I'm actually OK if he retains a purely backup role because he sees a lot sharper in smaller doses, but not at 4m+ a year.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
All modern journalism leans on clicks, but his point was valid. Look, as Blues fans we ALWAYS seem to have a goalie controversy, even when there really isn't one. So this story is getting discussed and will be down the road. This gets exacerbated with Allen, because we know he pulls the football away at the wrong times, with one exception. Management so wants him to be the starter, they'll likely force him into starting game one, leaving him there until we're in a hole and JB has to try to bail us out. If he fails at that, his status as Allen's successor will likely be in doubt and the cycle continues. We know the drill here.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
All modern journalism leans on clicks, but his point was valid. Look, as Blues fans we ALWAYS seem to have a goalie controversy, even when there really isn't one. So this story is getting discussed and will be down the road. This gets exacerbated with Allen, because we know he pulls the football away at the wrong times, with one exception. Management so wants him to be the starter, they'll likely force him into starting game one, leaving him there until we're in a hole and JB has to try to bail us out. If he fails at that, his status as Allen's successor will likely be in doubt and the cycle continues. We know the drill here.

Honest question: do you believe that Army has veto power over Berube's lineup choices in a playoff game?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I don't have an atheletic subscription, and thus I'm not exposed to any of JR's writing firsthand, I get the cliff notes here. So I can't comment on how effective, accurate or the intent behind any of JR's pieces.

But, the role of effective journalism in general is to inform the public, make people question and deliberate over topics that are seldomly as black & white as they are often portrayed in everyday discussions. I don't see much investigative reporting these days, its becoming a lost art - local papers can't hold onto talent, it moves on quickly to bigger opportunities. And that pool of people at the top is steadily becoming less talented.

Journalism as an art form is dying in America, whether you subscribe to the theory that corporate America is stifling it, political correctness is preventing driven opinated people from seeking out these roles, the quality of education is lesser, the general audience is dumber and can't handle intelligent discourse or the internet itself undermines the written word. I can't speak to international print, but I certainly know that the quality of articles and topics engaged in national papers is degrading. Sentence structure deteriorates and typos are frequently printed as editors miss them. There was an article published on the NHL app stating that there were 6 divisions in the NHL yesterday... Clearly the author and editor aren't terribly well versed in what they're covering.

Literacy rates continue to degrade across the country. I work with a number of people who struggle to read and write, in a role where you're required to be educated. My mother is a high school teacher whose role has become assisting those with reading difficulties, and she's steadily being given a larger number of students to help from year to year (over the past 10 years). It's actually alarming to view some of the statistics on how many students are punted ahead a year, because teachers are not allowed to fail them so they can stay and finish acquiring the skills to successfully process and understand more advanced material.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't have an atheletic subscription, and thus I'm not exposed to any of JR's writing firsthand, I get the cliff notes here. So I can't comment on how effective, accurate or the intent behind any of JR's pieces.

But, the role of effective journalism in general is to inform the public, make people question and deliberate over topics that are seldomly as black & white as they are often portrayed in everyday discussions. I don't see much investigative reporting these days, its becoming a lost art - local papers can't hold onto talent, it moves on quickly to bigger opportunities. And that pool of people at the top is steadily becoming less talented.

Journalism as an art form is dying in America, whether you subscribe to the theory that corporate America is stifling it, political correctness is preventing driven opinated people from seeking out these roles, the quality of education is lesser, the general audience is dumber and can't handle intelligent discourse or the internet itself undermines the written word. I can't speak to international print, but I certainly know that the quality of articles and topics engaged in national papers is degrading. Sentence structure deteriorates and typos are frequently printed as editors miss them. There was an article published on the NHL app stating that there were 6 divisions in the NHL yesterday... Clearly the author and editor aren't terribly well versed in what they're covering.

Literacy rates continue to degrade across the country. I work with a number of people who struggle to read and write, in a role where you're required to be educated. My mother is a high school teacher whose role has become assisting those with reading difficulties, and she's steadily being given a larger number of students to help from year to year (over the past 10 years). It's actually alarming to view some of the statistics on how many students are punted ahead a year, because teachers are not allowed to fail them so they can stay and finish acquiring the skills to successfully process and understand more advanced material.
So true.
Journalism is boarderline dead, aside for highly specified topics where people actually care about research, verification and building an understanding of of what is actually happening.

Today, I can plow through so many articles, because they are inflammatory fluff. There are somewhere in the range of 0-3 quality nuggets in any mainstream article with the average probably at 1.

I read titles to articles to determine the general topic. Then power skim for those minimal nuggets. The opinion that dominates the piece is lost on me because frankly I would rather develop my own opinion than parrot someone else’s poorly and entirely undeveloped one.

The few times that I read an article for 5 or more minutes, I often think “why can’t I find more articles like that one?!?”. Detail, depth, different vantage points...good luck finding that. When you do it is a treasure and that is incredibly sad.

I know it popular to rag on Fox News, but they are a perfect example of how screwed up things are with our ability to think critically. If people thought critically Fox News would not exist. The same goes for so many other media outlets. All these networks are just walking out people with extremist opinions on topics that they do not understand from any sort of objective or literate point of view. It is extremely disconcerting that people think what is being told to them is accurate or even valuable. Eyes meet wool.

Now I am not claiming to be some elite savant of all things related to knowledge. But sometimes it scares me to think that there are not many who are picking up on these issues.

Anyway, I may be a critical thinker, but I sure as hell cannot stay on topic. So, goalies anyone?

JR-seriously?! Jake has been hot for a minute (and I am glad he has), but this is really the best story you could develop? And, using a bunch of quotes to fill up the screen from interviews that are available to everyone at the Blues website is good journalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad