Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Stastny, Scheifele, Wheeler have been a dominant top line in their time together. Can someone tell Wheeler and Stastny that they had a steep decline at 32?

Reactions: Evil Little

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I maintain that basing performance assessment on goal share with this sample size is not very reliable, considering the variables.

I've acknowledged that his on-ice defensive shot metrics are bad, but I also doubt those will continue at that level if he continues to play as he has recently.

The notion that his point production is mainly good fortune is way off base. He has a particular skill as a playmaker, and he uses it at even-strength, on the PP, and with empty net and OT.
im not assessing purely on goal-share. i've said his poor PDO (which you bring up) is due to the fact he's poor defensively. Look at all the fancy charts that you like to post and how wheeler rates. and his offense hasn't overcome it (hence the -11 at 5v5, and poor scoring efficiency)

I don't know if this is directed at me. If not, disregard my post.

If so, I will remind you that I am the one who brought up his EN prowess in the first place. He excels at EN situations. It's like he finds a new life. He skates like he did three years ago, when there is an EN. So I don't need your 'chirping' comment. Perhaps someone else on the talented Jets forward lineup could do as well in EN situations if they had Blakes ice time EN, but it's not as if we are going to find out soon. But yeah, as I said earlier, no one that I can think of is better at piling up Empty Net points than Blake Wheeler. He excels at that. I said it before you did.

you definitely do notice wheeler's health meter go to 100 when there's an empty net. 58 mins of the game he plays like he's broken and then empty net it's like he's 28 again.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't know if this is directed at me. If not, disregard my post.

If so, I will remind you that I am the one who brought up his EN prowess in the first place. He excels at EN situations. It's like he finds a new life. He skates like he did three years ago, when there is an EN. So I don't need your 'chirping' comment. Perhaps someone else on the talented Jets forward lineup could do as well in EN situations if they had Blakes ice time EN, but it's not as if we are going to find out soon. But yeah, as I said earlier, no one that I can think of is better at piling up Empty Net points than Blake Wheeler. He excels at that. I said it before you did.

My concerns about Wheeler's contribution to the team are his 5v5 play. Early this season, he was like replacement level bad. Some people attribute it to him needing to get going or something like that. He has been better of late. His 5v5 play is still not up to 1st line quality of play and I believe that he would be more successful at, say, third line. That would make him and the team more successful imho. Not saying it will happen - we know how close Wheeler and Maurice are. Just saying that it might help us not get caved in so much against other team's top lines.

I am loving the Jets season this year. Funnest year since '17-'18. Go Jets Go!

If you didn't bring up EN to take a dig at Wheeler then I apologize for the "chirping" comment. I reacted that way because EN points are usually brought up on this board in context of Wheeler to take cheapshots at the guy.

Reactions: Jet

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think we really needed an easier opponent for a change, to get some mojo back. The timing was good. Nice to see a solid effort on the ice by the C. Wheeler showing maturity and team first with his comments about the lines. Also, the reference to confidence - I think he got some back last night. Loved that he got that goal, would have been great if he potted the pass back from Stastny too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsFan815

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have watched almost all of Laine's games with the CBJ and most of their PPs. In 24 games there has literally not been a single cross ice pass from the right halfwall for a one timer fed to Laine on the PP that I have seen... not even one!

Another L for all those who insisted that Wheeler was basically racking up free points on the PP with those cross ice passes and that anyone could do it as long as Laine was the one shooting.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I have watched almost all of Laine's games with the CBJ and most of their PPs. In 24 games there has literally not been a single cross ice pass from the right halfwall for a one timer fed to Laine on the PP that I have seen... not even one!

Another L for all those who insisted that Wheeler was basically racking up free points on the PP with those cross ice passes and that anyone could do it as long as Laine was the one shooting.

I thought Trouba passing it from RD to wheeler on the half wall was racking up free points. Lol

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I think that Wheeler just made that pass look easy. He's doing similar work now that he's beside the net, putting the puck into the high slot or backdoor.

I love Blake Wheeler and is so glad he's our captain. Yes, his play can be frustrating at times but can't that be said for most players? Both he and Schiefele get way too much hate around here.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

If you have watched the CBJ games, then you know that they have not set their power play up the same way. So I am not sure what you are trying to compare.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
If you have watched the CBJ games, then you know that they have not set their power play up the same way. So I am not sure what you are trying to compare.
The few games I watched early on they had it very similar actually. Roslovic (right shot too) was on the half wall and Seth Jones on top. Also right shot. I think they have changed it up now with Werenski back. But it was very similar.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The few games I watched early on they had it very similar actually. Roslovic (right shot too) was on the half wall and Seth Jones on top. Also right shot. I think they have changed it up now with Werenski back. But it was very similar.
Yes, Laine is in the same spot on the powerplay. That's really where he belongs. That's where he has all 4 of his goals from I think. But from what I have seen they don't use a stationary guy on the half wall as the powerplay quarterback, the way the Jets used Wheeler on the half wall as the quarterback. The Jets have moved Wheeler from the half wall now because he was a turnover machine with a bit of pressure there. He is better down low because the goal location makes it harder for opposing teams to pressure him there. I think it is a better fit for him, if you insist on using him on the powerplay.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Yes, Laine is in the same spot on the powerplay. That's really where he belongs. That's where he has all 4 of his goals from I think. But from what I have seen they don't use a stationary guy on the half wall as the powerplay quarterback, the way the Jets used Wheeler on the half wall as the quarterback. The Jets have moved Wheeler from the half wall now because he was a turnover machine with a bit of pressure there. He is better down low because the goal location makes it harder for opposing teams to pressure him there. I think it is a better fit for him, if you insist on using him on the powerplay.
Yes you’re right in the sense they didn’t run it off the half wall like here with Wheeler. It actually seeemed to be run more from the point with Seth Jones.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Yes you’re right in the sense they didn’t run it off the half wall like here with Wheeler. It actually seeemed to be run more from the point with Seth Jones.
Yup, that's what I have seen. Run more from the point person dishing, or feeling good about a lane with a screen and shooting.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Their PP is the same theme as the Jets with a right shot on the left hash marks and a right shot in the slot with the ultimate goal of opening one of them up for a onetimer. They are not able to make that cross ice pass because it is not easy to make that pass consistently and effectively (and they tried esp early on when Laine got there), something that Wheeler detractors here insisted that "anyone could do". If it is so easy to make that pass and it is basically an automatic goal if you get that pass through clean when Laine is the one shooting then why haven't Atkinson and Domi (two solid offensive players) been able to do that? Maybe it's because getting that pass through for a onetimer is hard and not many guys can do it.

Reactions: Heldig and Jet

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Jets have moved Wheeler from the half wall now because he was a turnover machine with a bit of pressure there. He is better down low because the goal location makes it harder for opposing teams to pressure him there. I think it is a better fit for him, if you insist on using him on the powerplay.

Jets have moved Wheeler out of the halfwall spot because they literally don't have two right shot triggermen on the team anymore as onetimer options on the left halfwall and the slot, so that setup doesn't work. The Jets have left shooting offensive players which gives them more options by mirroring last year's PP setup by having left shooting onetimers in the slot and the right halfwall. Hence Wheeler's new role on the man advantage.

Wheeler turned over the puck on the right halfwall just like any other player who touches the puck so much would. He still got those passes through and effectively quaterbacked the PP. He was not removed from that role due to "turnovers"... it was dictated by personnel changes, if the Jets still had Laine or another right shot triggerman he'd still be running the PP from the right halfwall.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Their PP is the same theme as the Jets with a right shot on the left hash marks and a right shot in the slot with the ultimate goal of opening one of them up for a onetimer. They are not able to make that cross ice pass because it is not easy to make that pass consistently and effectively (and they tried esp early on when Laine got there), something that Wheeler detractors here insisted that "anyone could do". If it is so easy to make that pass and it is basically an automatic goal if you get that pass through clean when Laine is the one shooting then why haven't Atkinson and Domi (two solid offensive players) been able to do that? Maybe it's because getting that pass through for a onetimer is hard and not many guys can do it.

I honestly don't understand why you want to defend this so badly. Blake Wheeler is not the only one in the NHL who can make that pass. I don't recall serious posters saying' anyone could do' it or talking about automatic goals. Hell, you and I couldn't do it in an NHL game, and we're anyone.

But anyway, it's different. The Blue Jackets powerplay is architected differently. So no comparison of 'who can make that pass vs who can't' is an actual comparison. Because they run the powerplays differently. But yes, other people not named Blake Wheeler generate points by passing to open shooters on the powerplay. And some do a cross ice pass to Laine from the half wall position.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If you insist on using him on the powerplay? You can't be serious.

First wheeler gets all of his points on the powerplay so somehow he's not that good, and now he's not good enough to be on it.

This place is wild :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I honestly don't understand why you want to defend this so badly. Blake Wheeler is not the only one in the NHL who can make that pass. I don't recall serious posters saying' anyone could do' it or talking about automatic goals. Hell, you and I couldn't do it in an NHL game, and we're anyone.

But anyway, it's different. The Blue Jackets powerplay is architected differently. So no comparison of 'who can make that pass vs who can't' is an actual comparison. Because they run the powerplays differently. But yes, other people not named Blake Wheeler generate points by passing to open shooters on the powerplay. And some do a cross ice pass to Laine from the half wall position.

Ok you found one cross ice pass in like ~58 mins of PP time he has played. With Wheeler that pass would happen atleast once every game or two on average and if it went a few games without people here would start wondering if something was wrong.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wheeler is better suited down low where he is now, as are Scheifele and Connor as one-timer options.

Just need to get Dubois in front of the net replacing Stastny and Hamilton firing bombs from the point.

:D

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ok you found one cross ice pass in like ~58 mins of PP time he has played. With Wheeler that pass would happen atleast once every game or two on average and if it went a few games without people here would start wondering if something was wrong.
I went through about 30 seconds of video of the ~58 minutes of CBJ PP time (if you are right about the 58 - IDK if that's correct).

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think Maurice will try to keep Copp Lowry and Appleton together.
My guess is that Perreault plays offwing and they bring up Vesa, Harkins or Gustafsson to fill in on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad