Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
My two cents on this:

We are going to have to eat this Wheeler contract for the remaining years and just be fine with it. But he needs to be used to his abilities. 3rd Line and some PK time is where I'd put him, especially with his performance so far. He's a competitive guy, if that doesn't sit well with him then options are to try and move him, buy him out or he retires.

I get loyalty, but at this point the ball can be put in his court. His contract may not be hurting us today, but next year it will be. I'd much rather have PLD and COPP signed with that money than them walking and Wheeler enjoying a few years before retirement.

Chevy was handcuffed on this contract, and gave in on term/cash. Not good at all for us moving forward.

He had back to back 90 point seasons. It's a good contract but Wheels has fallen off quicker than I think most people expected and it's been a pretty dramatic drop in play at that and it sucks at the moment. I expected this maybe his last year here not this soon. I mean he's completely fallen off a cliff

Reactions: rkp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He had back to back 90 point seasons. It's a good contract but Wheels has fallen off quicker than I think most people expected and it's been a pretty dramatic drop in play at that and it sucks at the moment. I expected this maybe his last year here not this soon. I mean he's completely fallen off a cliff

Definitely not everyone. I disliked the contract the moment it was signed. He peaked later then most players but there was always going to be a drop off. Plus even in his big point years areas of his game that were present in his late 20's such as his ability to drive play at an elite level were diminishing those years. A hot PP (that he was a big part of) helped prop his numbers up.

Reactions: rkp and PhilJets

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
But why do points matter? They do to us, the fans, we want to see wins and great play every night.

The org wants regular season wins for 2 reasons; to make the playoffs, and to keep the fans happy. Other than that, the regular season is about preparing for the post season since the real objective is the Stanley Cup and all of the financial benefits that brings.

So I think your argument isn't really valid from an org perspective

If we're simply using the regular season to prepare for the playoffs (and to make the playoffs), doesn't it make sense to make sure your players are healthy? I would think that, especially in the case of 55/26 (because of their current play) we would want them in the best health possible for the gruelling play in the playoffs.

Reactions: useh and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we're simply using the regular season to prepare for the playoffs (and to make the playoffs), doesn't it make sense to make sure your players are healthy? I would think that, especially in the case of 55/26 (because of their current play) we would want them in the best health possible for the gruelling play in the playoffs.

Yup, I it was all about the playoffs no way does Wheeler play with broken ribs for months last year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sure but unless there's injury that we don't know about, I'd imagine what they're struggling with is confidence and endurance. You build that by playing.

Of course I'm guessing about what ails them

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Jets need to figure out a way to hold on to PLD. Wheeler's contract may be standing in the way. Wheeler may be worth 1/2 of what he is being paid, probably less. Buy out will cost us, but may be worth it. Might enable us to re-sign Copp too.

Buyout would be terrible for the Jets and will handcuff the team for multiple years beyond his contract. The only time they can even consider buying him out is before the final year of his contract anytime before that... it's absolutely devastating for the team. He is no way near bad enough to justify the long term price of the buyout.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sure but unless there's injury that we don't know about, I'd imagine what they're struggling with is confidence and endurance. You build that by playing.

The only thing ailing Wheezer is age, 10-15 years ago not many guys were still playing at 35, ridiculous back ended contracts have something to do with this now!

This loyalty BS seems to prevail in the NHL compared to other leagues where it's what have you done for me lately unlike the NHL where it's "well he did score 40 goals in 2015"!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree with that. We are all guessing along with you!

Reactions: Jet

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I am still hopeful that Wheeler can right the ship.

I do have some observations. The game pior to to the Covid , I had observed that he looked just gassed on the ice. Having watched him play several games live down at the rink in the past 10 days he has no gas in the tank. 25-30 seconds into a shift he is done and needs off the ice. Wheeler is absolutely sucking air on the bench while his line mates are no worse for the wear.

In the Vancouver game on TV. The Canucks won the face off, iced the puck within 5 seconds from behind their own net. Wheeler didnt go 10 feet, and at the ensuing faceoff he has huffiing and puffing. Even in last nights game the colour guy commented that Wheleler was struggling with breathing/fitness level.

I am really not sure what is up with his apparant lack of game shape but he can't seem to do anything right on the ice right now.

I will stand by the captain, and hopefully he can get going in his home state tomorrow night and didnt have too much turkey and wine with the family today.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am still hopeful that Wheeler can right the ship.

I do have some observations. The game pior to to the Covid , I had observed that he looked just gassed on the ice. Having watched him play several games live down at the rink in the past 10 days he has no gas in the tank. 25-30 seconds into a shift he is done and needs off the ice. Wheeler is absolutely sucking air on the bench while his line mates are no worse for the wear.

In the Vancouver game on TV. The Canucks won the face off, iced the puck within 5 seconds from behind their own net. Wheeler didnt go 10 feet, and at the ensuing faceoff he has huffiing and puffing. Even in last nights game the colour guy commented that Wheleler was struggling with breathing/fitness level.

I am really not sure what is up with his apparant lack of game shape but he can't seem to do anything right on the ice right now.

I will stand by the captain, and hopefully he can get going in his home state tomorrow night and didnt have too much turkey and wine with the family today.

He wasn't looking right to me even in training camp when I attended the on ice sessions. He looked a step behind there as well. Maybe age is just catching up to him, I have no doubt he probably worked out as hard as he could as per usual in the offseason.

Reactions: sipowicz

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He wasn't looking right to me even in training camp when I attended the on ice sessions. He looked a step behind there as well. Maybe age is just catching up to him, I have no doubt he probably worked out as hard as he could as per usual in the offseason.

He is a chronically slow starter and the Covid didnt' help. I also have no doubt that he likely trained as hard as ever. Its possible that father time is hitting him hard.

I am going to give it another 10 games and see where he is at. He can ceratinly be a useful player even if he is falling victim to age. Maurice just needs to utilize the strengths he has left. He would likely look very good on the 3rd line, pp2 and some pk time if he can't rebound to a top 6 level.

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is a chronically slow starter and the Covid didnt' help. I also have no doubt that he likely trained as hard as ever. Its possible that father time is hitting him hard.

I am going to give it another 10 games and see where he is at. He can ceratinly be a useful player even if he is falling victim to age. Maurice just needs to utilize the strengths he has left. He would likely look very good on the 3rd line, pp2 and some pk time if he can't rebound to a top 6 level.

Yeah I don't have any issue with his effort and have no doubt he could modify his game to be effective in a third line role with second pp time. Maurice probably is going to give him a lot of leash though to see if he can right the ship a bit before making that call.

I think he'd likely fit well tutoring Cole in a third scoring line type of role.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

The main difference between him and many of the other struggling Jets is that the effort is there with him. Compare his backcheck on the play where ran into the goal and dislodged the goal from its moorings and in the process saved a certain goal to Connor's backcheck on the Hoffman goal. I still think he can contribute at a top-6 level. I see him hustling out there shift after shift and always changing on time without extending his shifts. People see him huffing on the bench and changing before his linemates as lack of conditioning... I see that as giving it your all on the ice and making a line change on time while not extending your shifts. Something Connor and Scheifele should ought to aspire to.

Reactions: blues10 and Jet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The main difference between him and many of the other struggling Jets is that the effort is there with him. Compare his backcheck on the play where ran into the goal and dislodged the goal from its moorings and in the process saved a certain goal to Connor's backcheck on the Hoffman goal. I still think he can contribute at a top-6 level. I see him hustling out there shift after shift and always changing on time without extending his shifts. People see him huffing on the bench and changing before his linemates as lack of conditioning... I see that as giving it your all on the ice and making a line change on time while not extending your shifts. Something Connor and Scheifele should ought to aspire to.

If hustle and work are what it takes to play in the top 6, then he deserves to play top 6

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wheeler was nearly point per game last year, I don't think it's age. I am 100% convinced it's Covid, although no one will ever admit that. There are many players in the same boat right now.

Personally, I'd pull him for a week or two and see how things progress. You just can't keep running him out there....he can't play.

Reactions: Daximus

ImJustJokinen

Vinnie Desharnais for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Cup Parade
Hey Jets fans, sorry if this isn’t the best place to ask this, but as of now and the foreseeable future, would you rather have Atkinson over Wheeler in terms of production?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The thing about certain players like Ehlers kfc, pld extending their shifts is if we are going to get out of this slump it’s because one of those guys score. Wheeler is not creating offense right now. ditto with Schief not creating as much in ice team.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wheeler was nearly point per game last year, I don't think it's age. I am 100% convinced it's Covid, although no one will ever admit that. There are many players in the same boat right now.

Personally, I'd pull him for a week or two and see how things progress. You just can't keep running him out there....he can't play.

I've been saying this the whole time. My dad got covid months ago and he is still feeling the effects. His cough hasn't gone away at all, though it's not nearly as bad as when he had it and he still gets periods where he gets really tired out of nowhere. I do wonder if Wheeler and Scheif are feeling the effects. I can't remember if it was last game or a few before that but between periods they showed Scheif stretching on the ice and he just lets out a massive yawn. I know that doesn't mean anything in the context of travelling around and playing games at odd hours in multiple time zones but I still find it weird that a guy like Scheif, who is all about fitness and rest would be tired between periods of an NHL hockey game.

Reactions: Channelcat

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The one thing nobody is talking about that might be a bit of an issue is we didn't travel nearly as much last season. I'm not a big travel vacation guy ( I own a cabin) but I've been on a few trips in my life time. Perhaps it's just Jet lag (pun intended)

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
I've been saying this the whole time. My dad got covid months ago and he is still feeling the effects. His cough hasn't gone away at all, though it's not nearly as bad as when he had it and he still gets periods where he gets really tired out of nowhere. I do wonder if Wheeler and Scheif are feeling the effects. I can't remember if it was last game or a few before that but between periods they showed Scheif stretching on the ice and he just lets out a massive yawn. I know that doesn't mean anything in the context of travelling around and playing games at odd hours in multiple time zones but I still find it weird that a guy like Scheif, who is all about fitness and rest would be tired between periods of an NHL hockey game.

FORTNITE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille