Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
100% agree with your post.

I also agree Wiebe is polite and boring.

Bottom line for me is I don't really mind the local coverage of the Jets and Bombers. For the most part I ignore the guys I think are shills or hacks but I do chirp them on here once in a while.

Agreed 1000% percent.

Friesen, Mcintyre, Wiecek are hacks.

Wiebe brings absolutely nothing to the table. All he does is talk in cliches, ask softball questions and write articles that are vanilla and do interviews that are even more vanilla. There's no substance.

Ates is the cream of the crop, I don't think there's any doubt about it.

Reactions: ps241

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I noticed that Blake was banged up when I seen him take a shot in game 1 or 2. I mentioned it in the GDT/PGT.

He has been playing better lately. For his standards. I’m not sure which guest on 1290 said this but csw was the worst defensive line in he NHL last year and wheeler and sheif were among the top 5 in players being the worst. I think he was using GA and fancy stats combined.

If he can improve his game defensively from last season is the real test. Getting back to par from an injury was the first step but it’s nothing to be praised for .. yet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ates is very good, but he's issued a few mea culpas in the past few weeks, wonder if there's a bit of friction there now. Agree that McIntyre and Friesen/Wie are hacks, but it's a tough gig too -- write critically and lose your access, write eulogistically and deal with the wrath of fans, especially where the owner is also such a major player in the economic and political life of the market. Wiebe tends to be a "just the facts" guy now, which is dull but fine.

Solution seems to be the Murat path -- hire smarter, better writers who aren't fishing for clickbait.
How about focusing on unique, interesting, and analytic content instead of just trying to get clicks as a muckraking provocateur? My issue with McIntyre and Wiecek and their ilk isn't that they are willing to write critical material, it's that they focus on critical material because they don't have much else to offer. Even his latest obsequious piece about Wheeler feels like a lame attempt to get readers without actually offering anything insightful or incisive.

Murat writes material that's worth reading because it's analytical and insightful. Wiebe provides straight reporting on events / perspectives of players. Between the two, it covers what I generally want from sports reporters.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Was Wieber like 'Yeah I like Angel of Death but Raining Blood is really their best work.'

I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off.

When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off.

When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
This ain't reddit bro.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

You should really be a writer. That was the best thing I’ve read all day!!! :)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

I must not be reading these posts right.

In one post, you say that Weiber is a great human. But then I read this and it comes off as him being a prick and a thief. What am I missing?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
What is it about Wheeler? I remember him being on Hustler and Lawless one off-season after the 'Atlanta Five' stuff and having Lawless begging forgiveness at the end. "I reported some things [*gurgle, gasp*] that were out of line, and it was big of you to come here and talk with us..."

Lawless wrote a article when the Jets first came back that challenged Wheeler's work ethic and commitment to the Jets. This angered Wheeler, Buff, Ladd and they stop talking to him. Lawless publicly apologised on air to make amends.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

This really puts Wiebe's World in a whole new perspective... I like it.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
The ability to tell when someone is fabricating a story. :nod:

And a funny one!

Sadly I am not talented or creative enough to have written this myself, it's a 'copypasta' where you would change a small part of the story (typically the person involved) to fit a certain situation.

My apologies for derailing the thread even more.

That Blake Wheeler tho, what a stud!

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Even if you don't recognize that story, just the detail that Wiebe was walking out the door with his hands full of Milky Ways -- which aren't sold in Canada (the US version of the Milky Way is the Mars bar here) -- should've been a tip off.

Here's a link to explain the copypasta: "I Saw Flying Lotus in a Grocery Store..." Copypasta | Know Your Meme

The original version referred to jazzy electronic DJ/producer Flying Lotus (aka FlyLo), who denies the whole thing:

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Wheeler is 4th best in the league at creating high danger passing plays -- passes that result in a high-danger scoring chance shot -- behind only Hall, McDavid and Barzal.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.45.32 PM.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wheeler as a 5v5 player is a complete and total liability on the ice. I am sorry to say it, but it is true. The guy has been on the ice for 19 goals against 5v5. He has been on the ice for 5 goals for (talking 5v5). 19 against, 5 for. That is horrifically bad. Like, if you weren't called Blake Wheeler, you would be on the Moose bad.

Move him down to the third or fourth line. Then use him on the powerplay to try to make a reason for fans to think he is still a top tier player if you want. The vast majority of his points now come in easy ice and man up situations. 5v5, Joel Armia is way better, and we gave him away for nothing.
Do people forget that he consistently plays against the best players in a league? How can that not be considered?

I'm not saying Wheeler and Scheifele are defensive stalwarts, obviously they are not. However they play against the Draisaitls, the Matthews, McDavids and Marners of the world. That allows guys like Ehlers easier matchups. Additionally, people often say the best defense is offense, meaning that having possession in the offensive zone is the best way to defend. That's exactly why Maurice line matches best v best.

People are impossible to please, here.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if you're on a top-line and getting sporting a 35% goal share (14 gf, 25 ga), along with being out-shot/out-chanced most nights, while being one of the most inefficient Fwds on the team in terms of putting up points per TOI, perhaps you're not suited for that role anymore?

Do people forget that he consistently plays against the best players in a league? How can that not be considered?

I'm not saying Wheeler and Scheifele are defensive stalwarts, obviously they are not. However they play against the Draisaitls, the Matthews, McDavids and Marners of the world. That allows guys like Ehlers easier matchups. Additionally, people often say the best defense is offense, meaning that having possession in the offensive zone is the best way to defend. That's exactly why Maurice line matches best v best.

People are impossible to please, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad