Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
@None

"Maurice never implicitly said Wheeler is playing injured. When he said he'll discuss Wheeler's play in 2-3 weeks or whatever he could have just as easily been alluding to being sure that his play would improve.
Wheeler isn't using an injury as an excuse though."

Thread got locked now.

Ok thanks
I thought he is injured based on the discussions here.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
@None

"Maurice never implicitly said Wheeler is playing injured. When he said he'll discuss Wheeler's play in 2-3 weeks or whatever he could have just as easily been alluding to being sure that his play would improve.
Wheeler isn't using an injury as an excuse though."

Thread got locked now.

Ok thanks
I thought he is injured based on the discussions here.
I also wouldn't read Wheeler's comment as confirmation that he's not injured, but rather that his being injured is not an excuse. He has missed like 7 games in his entire NHL career, so it's likely not true that if he's playing, he's not injured, which would be the other way to read that comment.

Reactions: ps241 and PhilJets

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
This is a Win/Win situation.

I dont mind the media “grilling” Wheeler because I know this will light a fire under his (you know what).

Unlike other players (not mentioning names).... History has shown us that “Angry Blake” is a “Productive Blake”!

He’ll respond accordingly, the team will be better for it, and we’ll all have to eat our own words.

Wont be long before this drama all blows over :)

Reactions: LowLefty and DRC

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Now this is interesting if Maurice stated he is playing injured.
Can someone elaborate this?

View attachment 392279

“I don’t want to bring a negative vibe into what we’ve got going.”

That’s a very peculiar choice of words. Idk, injury is an easy assumption but the other night when it seemed like 3 shifts in a row where he ended up all the way on Connor’s side in the defensive zone and then in OT tried to change wayyy before Connor even got off the ice I was thinking there’s something going on in his head that is distracting him.

Just reposting my thoughts.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

That’s a very peculiar choice of words. Idk, injury is an easy assumption but the other night when it seemed like 3 shifts in a row where he ended up all the way on Connor’s side in the defensive zone and then in OT tried to change wayyy before Connor even got off the ice I was thinking there’s something going on in his head that is distracting him.

Just reposting my thoughts.

Injury would be odd considering the long layoff and the fact that he's been playing huge minutes up until two games ago.

Maybe he's sad about Laine? :nod:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

I dont mind the media “grilling” Wheeler because I know this will light a fire under his (you know what).

Unlike other players (not mentioning names).... History has shown us that “Angry Blake” is a “Productive Blake”!

He’ll respond accordingly, the team will be better for it, and we’ll all have to eat our own words.

So just so I understand your thinking: in your mind, athletes don't decline in performance as they age? You figure Blake Wheeler will still be a top line forward in his 40's?

Reactions: sipowicz

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
So just so I understand your thinking: in your mind, athletes don't decline in performance as they age? You figure Blake Wheeler will still be a top line forward in his 40's?
I have no idea what part of my comment you’re referring to?

Reactions: LowLefty

None

Feb 22, 2012

I took that as him pointing to the team's record and saying more to focus on the positives rather than linger on negatives. Praise for the players that are pulling the team up, despite the issues, I think given the rest of the interview.

Now if in 3 weeks the team's record is in the mud he might change his tune and be more reflective on the negatives, but we're not there yet.

I don't think it's anything sinister or that there's anything to read into beyond the surface in that quote.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Wheeler is a great player.
A very charitable person ( I know first hand )
Getting to his play , I have no clue whether it’s injury or age.
I only suspect it’s a weird dynamic which none of us can define.
I do believe his heart is always in the right place.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
How the hell were you able to jump to THAT conclusion from his post? :huh:
How can you not?

Him thinking the media criticism will magically light a fire under Wheeler and this will all just blow over. My point is as players age, their performance declines. Wheeler can't just magically flip a switch and he becomes the Blake Wheeler of 5 years ago.

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Wheeler is a great player.
A very charitable person ( I know first hand )
Getting to his play , I have no clue whether it’s injury or age.
I only suspect it’s a weird dynamic which none of us can define.
I do believe his heart is always in the right place.
Correction: Wheeler was a great player.

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE

well, while what you wrote consists of two assumptions such as "you know that this will light a fire under his..." and that "he will respond accordingly" since those opinions are based on speculation, the past and limited probability, that would be nice; however, there will be no surprise from me if he doesn't do as you kindly wrote.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
How can you not?

Him thinking the media criticism will magically light a fire under Wheeler and this will all just blow over. My point is as players age, their performance declines. Wheeler can't just magically flip a switch and he becomes the Blake Wheeler of 5 years ago.
Good thing we don't need him to become Wheeler of 5 years ago then. I trust you saw these posts in the last thread.

Yup. Wheeler wasn't as good as his elite production from his top seasons, but playing mostly at C last season Wheeler was one of the more effective Jets. Here is a chart with the Jets performances in terms of expected goals above replacement last season.

View attachment 392243

Based on what metrics?

In 2019-20, Blake Wheeler ranked #19 in 5v5 relative CF% (+3.75) and #12 in relative xGF% (+6.37) among RWs in 2019-20.

In 2019-20, Wheeler was the leader among Jets' forwards in expected goals +/- (xG +/-) according to Evolving Hockey's RAPM model.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
More pressure on him the never before. Let’s see how he handles it.

You don’t help run a player like laine out of town and not get a little heat for it.

Is that what he's getting heat for?
I thought it was because he might be struggling a bit
I look forward to the time (if it every comes) when Laine can be removed from the discussion of other players.
We can then actually talk about other players as if that has some meaning on it's own without Laine's involvement.

Reactions: surixon

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
I have no idea what part of my comment you’re referring to?

How the hell were you able to jump to THAT conclusion from his post? :huh:

Well, I'll just add tiny input and ask trinity for clarification...

the post that brendan smith wrote does not consider other variables for Wheeler's lack of play thus far and the question of if he'll improve (or not.) The variables cited in his post are the "media grilling him" and "angry blake is a productive blake" as if there were no other factors responsible for his current circumstances... aging might serve as one among others...

(in other words, wheeler is just going to automatically change (and improve) his play as if it were a guarantee due to his anger and past serving as the determinants for how he plays and doesn't play...)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Is that what he's getting heat for?
I thought it was because he might be struggling a bit
I look forward to the time (if it every comes) when Laine can be removed from the discussion of other players.
We can then actually talk about other players as if that has some meaning on it's own without Laine's involvement.

Him being part of the reason why laine wanted out is why it’s being blown up more then just struggling.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
Well, I'll just add tiny input and ask trinity for clarification...

the post that brendan smith wrote does not consider other variables for Wheeler's lack of play thus far and the question of if he'll improve (or not.) The variables cited in his post are the "media grilling him" and "angry blake is a productive blake" as if there were no other factors responsible for his current circumstances... aging might serve as one among others...

(in other words, wheeler is just going to automatically change (and improve) his play as if it were a guarantee due to his anger and past serving as the determinants for how he plays and doesn't play...)
Sigh... I really didnt think a relatively straight forward comment would require further elaboration or any clarification, but here goes nothing...

Lets use an analogy.

When my employer, colleagues or clients question an area of my performance, i have a tendency to focus on this area and improve upon it. It gets me fired up. I’ve noticed Blake reacts the same way. Most people do, however some people dont.

In some cases, an individual might react differently. For instance, like asking for a transfer to another department...

jetsnblues

Jan 23, 2021
i tried to reply to an earlier comment but thread got locked , some one commented " he isn't injured just lazy "To quote our coach "i am offended by that" Fans have a right to comment on his performance but that is an attack on his character and leadership, Wheeler would crawl out on the ice with 2 broken legs if he felt he could help the team and NEVER admit he was hurt , has served the team and represents the 'peg with class and although not Canadian said many times how much he loves the city, i don't live in the 'peg but those that do will know much better than me what "extras" he does for the team and out in the city that go unmentioned and has been a loyal servant to the team and a great captain, i could say much more in defense of him but won't, now he has a bit of a slow start true but to call him "lazy" to me questions his effort and commitment

thrashtoast

Dec 23, 2009
I may have missed something in this or the other thread, but is not obvious Paul will be moving Blake to the 3rd line when PLB gets here?

Reactions: GaryPoppins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->