Post-Game Talk: Big money boiz bounce back (4-2 over the Wild)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
EgoCock finally put aside his ego and made the switch that everybody wanted, putting Moore on a line with Kappy and whom would have thought as soon as he did that the line looked better.
Boo hoo.

What does his ego have to do with line juggling? You can’t possibly be precious enough to think he even listens to the fans/media never mind actually cares?

Babcock doesn’t care about what anyone says or thinks. He won’t be influenced. He has his philosophy and he’ll live and die by it. I respect that in a man.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Holl has been better than expected lately. Marincin is better on the left side (naturally). Minnesota lacks the speed to challenge that 3rd pairing. Other teams will have speed to give that pair fits. There was the one clear cut breakaway from the Wild blueline for Foligno splitting that pair that was a lowlight of the night for them.

The Leafs took over in the 2nd period. There was a fortunate feel to those 4 2nd period goals with lucky bounces and goalie flubs. It still doesn't seem like the Leafs' top players are managing to really fight through tight checking to get good shots through (excepting Matthews).

The NHL is allowing more off the puck interference this October than previous Octobers. Of course this happens after the Leafs lock up their forwards. It's actually impressive how much the top Leafs have managed to score.

I don't think I've seen a bigger bonehead penalty than that one Hartman took.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Lets not kid ourselves here, we played the worst team in the league and we our top guys showed up, but have a bad feeling about tonight's game.
Our big guys choke in big games and we have seen in it many times.
tonight's game will be tougher because it's after a back to back and we have to travel to a rested Washington team, a loss should be expected. I hope that I'm wrong, but a win would be very optimistic thinking.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think it's becoming more clear that Kapanen is better suited for the bottom 6. I don't think he needs to play with Matthews or Tavares again, especially with Hyman returning.

I'm not totally sure on Johnsson up there long-term either tbh, but he definitely brings more to the table.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Babcock doesn’t care about what anyone says or thinks.
Thats a stupid way to lead, you should listen to others (ok not fans or media) and i think he does listen a wee bit. Sometimes Babcocks ways are mysterious and and sometimes its plain stupid. There are better coaches for this team out there, but with this team he should be good enough to get us a stanley , and thats what counts.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Trade a guy who is tied for 9th overall in the league for points so we can keep Kapanen? How much do you hate the leafs?
Values high right now, he might return a top dman with no retention.

We have a shit ton of wingers who can score.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Thats a stupid way to lead, you should listen to others (ok not fans or media) and i think he does listen a wee bit. Sometimes Babcocks ways are mysterious and and sometimes its plain stupid. There are better coaches for this team out there, but with this team he should be good enough to get us a stanley , and thats what counts.
Oh, I think he listens to his staff. I don’t think he listens to fans or media.I’m just speaking to how delusional some people are who think he’s reluctant to make line changes because that’s what the fans/media want.

Babcock has already shown more willingness to make adjustments this year. I think Shanahan told him that stubbornness/close mindedness will cost him his job and he’s been with it so far.

Also forgot to mention what a great game Nick Shore played, again. He’s so unremarkably remarkable. An excellent addition.

Coach really ****in’ nailed it with that 4th line, huh? Timashov-Gauthier-Shore was the opening night trio he had from the start. What a visionary!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
7 games is not stubborn / to excess. It takes 20 games in hockey to identify most trends.
Changing a breakout system or D pairings or zone entry/PP/PK is trends.

Leaving one guy on a line is stubborn when others have shown more. Losing 3 games in row and not switching 1 player is stubborn.

And that could lead to another trend: out in 7.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Boo hoo.

What does his ego have to do with line juggling? You can’t possibly be precious enough to think he even listens to the fans/media never mind actually cares?

Babcock doesn’t care about what anyone says or thinks. He won’t be influenced. He has his philosophy and he’ll live and die by it. I respect that in a man.

Hmm, what side to take ...

Did Babcock lace up the skates, put the pads on, block a shot?

He gets no credit for anything, especially a win against a horrible team. ;)

Anyway, I missed the 1st., but in the 2nd. and 3rd. I thought Andersen was the difference.

2 points ... gottem.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Holl has been better than expected lately. Marincin is better on the left side (naturally). Minnesota lacks the speed to challenge that 3rd pairing. Other teams will have speed to give that pair fits. There was the one clear cut breakaway from the Wild blueline for Foligno splitting that pair that was a lowlight of the night for them.

The Leafs took over in the 2nd period. There was a fortunate feel to those 4 2nd period goals with lucky bounces and goalie flubs. It still doesn't seem like the Leafs' top players are managing to really fight through tight checking to get good shots through (excepting Matthews).

The NHL is allowing more off the puck interference this October than previous Octobers. Of course this happens after the Leafs lock up their forwards. It's actually impressive how much the top Leafs have managed to score.

I don't think I've seen a bigger bonehead penalty than that one Hartman took.

So you've been able to bury that Domi elbow in your subconscious?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There is knee jerk and then there is stubborn to excess.

When the entire board and the TSN panel are saying this isn't working why don't you try (Moore or Soupy) with Tavares, it borders on the second.

Because you trying to give Kapanen every opportunity and not impact his confidence? I disagree that trying players at new positions with new line mates for 6 games at the beginning of the season is "stubborn to excess".

edit.
I just read this again. Do you actually believe that the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs should make decisions based on what "the entire board and the TSN panel are saying"?

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wild are in for some pain and might looking to "retool"/"rebuild", I wonder if they would be interested in moving Dumba for Nylander? As much as some Leaf fans think Wild would have to add, I am not so sure. Nylander gets his shot at #1C and we get a partner for Rielly.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Because you trying to give Kapanen every opportunity and not impact his confidence? I disagree that trying players at new positions with new line mates for 6 games at the beginning of the season is "stubborn to excess".

edit.
I just read this again. Do you actually believe that the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs should make decisions based on what "the entire board and the TSN panel are saying"?

But this is babcock and we know how he rolls. Usually everyone on the planet can see problems in his player deployment decisions (see Brown, Connor, Marleau Patrick, Komarov in the past) but he rarely makes changes. Or if he does, he'll often go back to lines that aren't working.

Reactions: Trapper

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
After last night, Leafs now lead the entire NHL in 5v5 Corsi% and are 2nd in scoring chance %.

Dubas and Babcock look to have put together a real possession and scoring beast of a team this year so far and with goaltending and special teams looking better recently, getting really excited for the rest of the year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

edit.
No coaches in the NHL make in game line adjustments when losing 3 games in a row because of confidence? Is that what you are saying? And the panel is just saying what we said 3 games ago.
You might as well just have a computer predict the lines then based on advanced stats.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think the poster who pointed out that Kapanen is more comfortable on his proper wing has hit the truth. Maybe Kapanen can play the opposite wing defensively, and that's a good trait, his offensive zone contributions are better from his natural side. Not only did Moore look better on the Marner-Tavares line, Kapanen looked better on the 3rd line.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Can somebody explain to me how Marner, Tavares and Matthews managed to be on the ice at the same time during Matthews goal (4th goal), since it was not a PP and Babcock doesn't play them together. I think that it was amazing and it should be used more often, especially when we are behind.
Line change

Reactions: Rogue Leader

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wild are in for some pain and might looking to "retool"/"rebuild", I wonder if they would be interested in moving Dumba for Nylander? As much as some Leaf fans think Wild would have to add, I am not so sure. Nylander gets his shot at #1C and we get a partner for Rielly.

I doubt it very much. They need their futures, Dumba would be one.

Maybe the Leafs could LTIR Suter for them?

What a horrible situation they're in, might be worse than LA.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I doubt it very much. They need their futures, Dumba would be one.

Maybe the Leafs could LTIR Suter for them?

What a horrible situation they're in, might be worse than LA.
Looks like Ottawa will have company for the tank command this year.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hmm, what side to take ...

Did Babcock lace up the skates, put the pads on, block a shot?

He gets no credit for anything, especially a win against a horrible team. ;)

Anyway, I missed the 1st., but in the 2nd. and 3rd. I thought Andersen was the difference.

2 points ... gottem.
:laugh: Just trying to be fair both ways.

You’ve seen the pace of play pick up from the first week. We’re all guilty of wanting to change things immediately but I appreciate his patience. I think they’re high on Trevor Moore and they didn’t want to give him too much too soon considering he was pretty mediocre in the pre season. That line was going to see tougher matchups and he thought Kapanen was a little more prepared.

Now that Moore has been playing well for two weeks he’s earned the confidence to take on the tougher work.

Sandin as well - he was exceptional in pre season but the game kind of caught up to him over the past week. Couple that with such little ice time available and it makes sense to send him down.

For two decades Detroit has been praised for their development of young players. Patience and over ripening was key.. Babcock brings that model and philosophy to Toronto and people are constantly complaining about it... I just don’t get it.

I wish people would take a step back and think about why he does things. Rather than assuming he’s trying to sabotage or spite someone, think about the trickle down effects and what he/they might be thinking.

He really is trying to get the best out of every one of his players. People need to remember that.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Love to get Dumba out of there but would they go for it as well as Dubas? Don’t think so.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Those 4 greedy f***ers finally earned their pay for one game.

I expect this level of performance every night. That's what we've bought.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad