Post-Game Talk: Big money boiz bounce back (4-2 over the Wild)

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I expect a lot more from the tre 11mill players then Nylander at this point. Dont think he is overpaid , not on this team. Matthews been good. Nylander good. And now Tavares and Marner gets going. Whats not to like? :)

Nylander is for sure the best contract out of the 4.

However, what do you think 7 mil buys ya on other teams? Or should I say 8.3 percent of the cap hit. Once you look at his pay comparables, he needs to put up some numbers this year. I don't care about goal posts and fancy entries. I mean real points. The kind his f***ing agent promised us when he held out till christmas.

Those kinds of numbers.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I thought Holl was super effective. He skated out with the puck many times and he did well in the defensive zone. There was a shift or two where he gave up the puck unnecessarily while trying to whip the puck around the boards though. Marincin and Holl were pretty good last night as a duo but it was against a terrible team.

Holl has been getting better and better. It's almost like all he needed is to actually play more than a game every 6 weeks. He's getting that puck confidence where he can actually use his best strength. He's huge, he's strong and he can skate... I don't know why people don't like him more.

Yeah babcock sitting him like he did.... c'mon give the guy a fair shot. I imagine that was part of the conversations Dubas had with him this off-season - don't sit guys like Petan, Holl etc for extended periods of time, and then have no one ready to jump in, and complain about depth

Reactions: kb

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That wasn't what won us the game.
Maybe not but it could be part of what lost us others.
We were fortunate we had 2 bottom feeders thrown in the middle of Washington/Boston/etc. It’s the coaches job to make in game adjustments as necessary.

Last time I checked Babcock’s direct quote was I want the 2 points. And if you get them with Hyman on the top line then aces. When you lose 6 of them, you need to adjust.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We were fortunate we had 2 bottom feeders thrown in the middle of Washington/Boston/etc. It’s the coaches job to make in game adjustments as necessary.

Last time I checked Babcock’s direct quote was I want the 2 points. And if you get them with Hyman on the top line then aces. When you lose 6 of them, you need to adjust.

The 4th line and 3rd pairing are in a constant state of change right now. So what you really mean is "the coach isn't doing the knee-jerk change(s) I want"...

And no, Trevor Moore and Kasperi Kapanen weren't the reason we lost games either.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You can't just change things up every game when they aren't going well especially at the beginning of the season.
Will you look for Moore to be hooked the first time they struggle?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The 4th line and 3rd pairing are in a constant state of change right now. So what you really mean is "the coach isn't doing the change(s) I want"...

And no, Trevor Moore and Kasperi Kapanen weren't the reason we lost games either.
Judging from the Babcock threads it’s more than what I just want.
For people who have watched the show beyond 7 games, we are looking for a little more than the same same.
The same problems still plague us under Babcock that we were looking for change.
Starting on time, focus on D, adjusting when necessary and not pigeon holing guys into this is all you can be if something isn’t working.

but as long as you are fine, it’s cool. I don’t have to worry.

if I’m the only one who feels this way then yes, I am the one with the problem. If others feel the same way from what I’ve posted, then there must be some concern as well.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Still very worried about the Marner line and Marner in specific. I don't think he looked good. Scored a weak goal on a weak shot. Had no business going in and 99% of the time, that won't go in. Both assists were weak too. A slap pass to Matthews that bounced off the Dman. Matthews still buried it, but quite frankly, i didn't see anything in this game that reminds me of last year. Stats are great, and goals win games, but if he plays like that against top competition, he won't get the stats

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No coaches in the NHL make in game line adjustments when losing 3 games in a row because of confidence? Is that what you are saying? And the panel is just saying what we said 3 games ago.
You might as well just have a computer predict the lines then based on advanced stats.

No, I'm saying I don't think giving a player 6 games in a new position with new line mates to try and see if it will work is excessively stubborn.

Last season I recall he was an idiot for not giving Nylander enough time on Matthews line when it wasn't working right away. This season he's an idiot for giving Kapanen a decent look on a new line.

Doesn't much matter what the guy does in some people's eyes. Maybe MLSE should just get a figurehead behind the bench that listens to the TSN panel and reads these boards.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can't just change things up every game when they aren't going well especially at the beginning of the season.
Will you look for Moore to be hooked the first time they struggle?
It depends on the nature of the struggle. Are you taking just points or a major distinction on the ice that seems to be having trouble in game?
When you get hammered by Tampa do you think you’d try something different or is that just crazy talk?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It depends on the nature of the struggle. Are you taking just points or a major distinction on the ice that seems to be having trouble in game?
When you get hammered by Tampa do you think you’d try something different or is that just crazy talk?
Doesn't matter, the point is things have to play out.
I knew Kapanen wouldn't work from day 1 but understand it still needed time to play out.

Would anyone be surprised if Kapanen is back on Tavares wing tonight?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Judging from the Babcock threads it’s more than what I just want.
For people who have watched the show beyond 7 games, we are looking for a little more than the same same.
The same problems still plague us under Babcock that we were looking for change.
Starting on time, focus on D, adjusting when necessary and not pigeon holing guys into this is all you can be if something isn’t working.

but as long as you are fine, it’s cool. I don’t have to worry.

if I’m the only one who feels this way then yes, I am the one with the problem. If others feel the same way from what I’ve posted, then there must be some concern as well.

We just played our 7th game, we're 6th in the entire league in the standings, and people are absolutely losing their minds about Trevor Moore not being moved up in the roster.

I repeat: Trevor Moore

People need to take a few steps back from the ledge, breathe, and think about what they're actually saying here.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Doesn't matter, the point is things have to play out.
I knew Kapanen wouldn't work from day 1 but understand it still needed time to play out.

Would anyone be surprised if Kapanen is back on Tavares wing tonight?
Not at all. It’s what I expect in fact which is my point about expecting some fresh perspectives from the coach.

Do you believe it is a make or break year for Babcock. And if so is there anything that you would do differently if this was your make or break. Or would you status quo and damn the torpedoes?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Maybe im over thinking this, however there didn't really seem to be any emotion when the Leafs scored last night. I watched Marner specifically. Im not sure if this is a lack of passion, or maybe the Leafs have bigger expectations then getting excited over a goal in October. What do you guys think?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
  • Yeah Leafs win a one way game. Who cares? The Leafs need to win games playing without the puck or forget about doing anything in the playoffs.
  • Marincin, Holl, etc... name the 6th defenseman that fans did like.
  • Not missing Kadri. He had a lot of tools, but the one thing always missing was vision. 3rd line with Kerfoot is now a cohesive line with synergy that's more then the sum of it's parts.
  • Kapanen - so many fans called Babcock an idiot for having Kapanen on the fourth line. Like Kadri, has lots of tools, except vision. Couldn't keep up to Matt Martin's play-making while on the fourth line and finally gets a few assists playing with one of the all-time best goal-scorers. Wonder if Kapanen's ice-time is based on management and Babcock fully exploring his potential as an asset rather then on-ice performance. From a team perspective, might be a bitter pill to swallow that a former 1st, 22nd overall pick you trade Kessel for is nothing more then a fourth liner making $3.2 million. Personally think the best situation would be for Kaps go to a very tight checking defensive team which he could pounce on turnovers. Even the Leaf's 3rd line is way too Tic/Tac/Toe play-making for him to keep up to.
  • Barb Underhill deserves a round of applause. Not only is Frédérik Gauthier skating improved, he doesn't have that awkward big man stride. Now if she could only teach him how to punish the opposition a little.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not at all. It’s what I expect in fact which is my point about expecting some fresh perspectives from the coach.

Do you believe it is a make or break year for Babcock. And if so is there anything that you would do differently if this was your make or break. Or would you status quo and damn the torpedoes?
Coach should do what he thinks is best for the team to have a successful season.
You don't Coach not to get fired.
I don't think he has done anything different so far this season than any other coach would have done.

With Dermott and Hyman out, status quo wasn't an option.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Coach should do what he thinks is best for the team to have a successful season.
You don't Coach not to get fired.
I don't think he has done anything different so far this season than any other coach would have done.

With Dermott and Hyman out, status quo wasn't an option.
I guess it depends on your expectations.
People are expecting more from Nylander this year whatever that is. It’s not based on 7 games alone. Because we need that moving forward.

The same with Babcock. For some of us, I guess not all, we want the same thing. That also is not based on 7 games but going back in time. You (or me I guess), don’t want to see the exact same pattern and come away with the same outcome.

Again things like starting on time, signing players that will end up on the where’s Waldo list, making in game adjustments if things aren’t going, not waiting until you are down 2 goals and putting the 4th line out, maybe using the talent of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares on a stacked line at times, whatever.

If that makes me wrong, then sure, I’m wrong.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I guess it depends on your expectations.
People are expecting more from Nylander this year whatever that is. It’s not based on 7 games alone. Because we need that moving forward.

The same with Babcock. For some of us, I guess not all, we want the same thing. That also is not based on 7 games but going back in time. You (or me I guess), don’t want to see the exact same pattern and come away with the same outcome.

Again things like starting on time, signing players that will end up on the where’s Waldo list, making in game adjustments if things aren’t going, not waiting until you are down 2 goals and putting the 4th line out, maybe using the talent of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares on a stacked line at times, whatever.

If that makes me wrong, then sure, I’m wrong.
I don't think you're wrong on many of those things, I'm really just speaking to changing up the lines after a few games.

I think for the most part Babcock is his own worst enemy and it's hard to see him being the coach for this team when they make serious cup runs.
I don't really fault him though for giving Kapanen ample opportunity to succeed.

Reactions: egd27

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Can somebody explain to me how Marner, Tavares and Matthews managed to be on the ice at the same time during Matthews goal (4th goal), since it was not a PP and Babcock doesn't play them together. I think that it was amazing and it should be used more often, especially when we are behind.

Bobcock was in washroom - the only explanation I have.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Helluva 2nd period - but Minnesota did win 2/3 periods last night. If Toronto plays three quality periods tonight then I'll be extremely happy. This team has had a bad habit going back several years of not giving a 3 period effort.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Can somebody explain to me how Marner, Tavares and Matthews managed to be on the ice at the same time during Matthews goal (4th goal), since it was not a PP and Babcock doesn't play them together. I think that it was amazing and it should be used more often, especially when we are behind.
I imagine Moore changed early and Matthews came on to replace him.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We just played our 7th game, we're 6th in the entire league in the standings, and people are absolutely losing their minds about Trevor Moore not being moved up in the roster.

I repeat: Trevor Moore

People need to take a few steps back from the ledge, breathe, and think about what they're actually saying here.

11th actually.

Nobody should be losing their minds but is that's really what's happening?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->