Post-Game Talk: Big money boiz bounce back (4-2 over the Wild)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
- I think Tavares led the way as we took over in that second period. Marner followed that up with some magic. Moore helped that line immediately.
- Matthews was good defensively, but didn't look quite as dynamic as we like to see him. Johnsson was around the puck a lot, but he also killed a few great chances (two flubbed passes and stepped right into Matthews when he could have sprung Nylander). Willy had flashes but no finish.
- Third line was rather mediocre. Kerfoot had a strong first half, less so in the second half. Mikheyev was quiet, and Kapanen was flat out bad again tonight.
- Fourth line looked solid for most of the game, but got to have a minus for falling asleep towards the end there.

- Rielly had the most quiet 4-point game I've seen in a while. Really didn't like him or Ceci defensively. Again.
- Muzzin was really good. Barrie was mostly good, but had a few misjakes.
- Marincin was ok at best, Holl I didn't really like.

- Andersen was good, but whatever happened to his puckhandling?

Kudos to Babcock for finally changing up the Tavares line.

I thought Holl was super effective. He skated out with the puck many times and he did well in the defensive zone. There was a shift or two where he gave up the puck unnecessarily while trying to whip the puck around the boards though. Marincin and Holl were pretty good last night as a duo but it was against a terrible team.

Holl has been getting better and better. It's almost like all he needed is to actually play more than a game every 6 weeks. He's getting that puck confidence where he can actually use his best strength. He's huge, he's strong and he can skate... I don't know why people don't like him more.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Babcock is at least less knee-jerky, which is a good thing.
There is knee jerk and then there is stubborn to excess.

When the entire board and the TSN panel are saying this isn't working why don't you try (Moore or Soupy) with Tavares, it borders on the second.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I thought Holl was super effective. He skated out with the puck many times and he did well in the defensive zone. There was a shift or two where he gave up the puck unnecessarily while trying to whip the puck around the boards though. Marincin and Holl were pretty good last night as a duo but it was against a terrible team.

Holl has been getting better and better. It's almost like all he needed is to actually play more than a game every 6 weeks. He's getting that puck confidence where he can actually use his best strength. He's huge, he's strong and he can skate... I don't know why people don't like him more.
I liked Holl too. I've liked him since day one! He can actually move the puck a bit, defend, and get physical now and then too. If he continues like this, he is, in my mind, a decent 6.

I also watched Marincin closely. He really wasn't that bad yesterday. His famous "long stick" poke check was, for the most part, effective. He broke up a number of plays. The problem with Marincin is his passing. It's not that it's completely inaccurate, it's just way too hard. The forwards rarely control it....it often clips their sticks and just travels like a bullet to the other end.

The Goat......yes! Love this guy.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yes, some things have to be asked over and over, I don't know why so many fans love to complain after a loss, but a win they're quiet.
Because winning silences the critics.
How many excuses do the Cup champions have?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
- I think Tavares led the way as we took over in that second period. Marner followed that up with some magic. Moore helped that line immediately.
- Matthews was good defensively, but didn't look quite as dynamic as we like to see him. Johnsson was around the puck a lot, but he also killed a few great chances (two flubbed passes and stepped right into Matthews when he could have sprung Nylander). Willy had flashes but no finish.
- Third line was rather mediocre. Kerfoot had a strong first half, less so in the second half. Mikheyev was quiet, and Kapanen was flat out bad again tonight.
- Fourth line looked solid for most of the game, but got to have a minus for falling asleep towards the end there.

- Rielly had the most quiet 4-point game I've seen in a while. Really didn't like him or Ceci defensively. Again.
- Muzzin was really good. Barrie was mostly good, but had a few misjakes.
- Marincin was ok at best, Holl I didn't really like.

- Andersen was good, but whatever happened to his puckhandling?

Kudos to Babcock for finally changing up the Tavares line.
I quite frankly dont know why the tavares line wasnt clicking with Kappy and then did without him. Kappy wasnt great but he wasnt terrible. It is as if there was a chemistry issue caused by a lack of trust by Tavares and Marner but im almost embarrassed to make that assertion with any position in hockey short of a goaltending one. It is pretty unscientific but im leaning towards JT and Marner culpability because i dont see a lot of egregious playing habits from kappy that would explain such a decline. Would be interested in hearing technical opinions of why the line didnt work beyond the common disparaging attacks here from some people

Reactions: Nithoniniel

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
yes, some things have to be asked over and over, I don't know why so many fans love to complain after a loss, but a win they're quiet.
I think because after a win they are already enjoying it and don't need to be on hf whereas after a loss they're trying to make sense of it. Kind of like when your a kid and aced an exam, you wana move on and enjoy the rest of your night. But if you do poorly you want to keep discussing it to somehow find peace with what you got. Jmo.

Reactions: mmalady

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Another good night for Mike Babcock. He’s already earning that extension they’ll be tabling.

Justin Holl with another solid game, I’m really starting to like him. He’s much smarter than I initially gave him credit for and you can see his confidence growing. The game has started to slow down for him. Great sign.

Freddy is getting close. Two games in a row where he’s more like himself. Still a little off but much sharper than a week ago. Great sign.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why are theremore critics than praisers? That's what I can't understand.
I’m here. I disagree with many things they do but win and it’s cool. Some of the missing boys showed up last night now let’s see it carry on. Babcock finally changed the line and I’m good with that too.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Justin Holl with another solid game, I’m really starting to like him. He’s much smarter than I initially gave him credit for and you can see his confidence growing. The game has started to slow down for him.
Rather keep him than Marincin. He actually can use his body size physically once in a while

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It was nice to see Marner playing well, it was only a matter of time.
Lets not kid ourselves here, we played the worst team in the league and we our top guys showed up, but have a bad feeling about tonight's game.
Our big guys choke in big games and we have seen in it many times.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I kinda thought the third played a bit better once Kap was moved there. I was impressed with his offence and decision making in that role. Mikheyev will make him look good.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Good game, coach!

If its Babcock's fault when we lose, is it not Babcock's fault when we win?

They only won because he finally listened to the experts around here and put Moore on the Tavares line who, despite not getting any points, used his mental abilities to guide Tavares elite shot and allowed Marner to find a hole on the PP and even help Matthews finish that beauty feed from Marner.

All kidding aside, Moore earned his promotion and both he and Kappy were both good last night (top 2 corsi players) but the board has whipped itself into such a delusional frenzy over Babcock that its become cringeworthy. Coaching has been fine this year and goaltending the only reason the team isnt probably 6-1 at the least.

Reactions: egd27

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I kinda thought the third played a bit better once Kap was moved there. I was impressed with his offence and decision making in that role. Mikheyev will make him look good.
Mikheyev has been an absolute gem. Hes so sneaky with the stick checks, he can skate, has size and you can tell goalies are surprised at how hard he shoots. I recall seeing a few goalies this season fighting the puck off his bad angle shots. I have zero expectations for Euro signings but we got really lucky getting him. 20+ teams wanted him.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
EgoCock finally put aside his ego and made the switch that everybody wanted, putting Moore on a line with Kappy and whom would have thought as soon as he did that the line looked better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00