Post-Game Talk: Big money boiz bounce back (4-2 over the Wild)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It only takes a few really bad trades to turn a solid franchise like the Wild into a mess. And I still don't quite understand what they did for the Vegas expansion draft.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
There is knee jerk and then there is stubborn to excess.

When the entire board and the TSN panel are saying this isn't working why don't you try (Moore or Soupy) with Tavares, it borders on the second.

Yes the Leafs should definitely be making roster decisions based on what Jeff O'Dog Neill thinks...

Reactions: Eb

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It only takes a few really bad trades to turn a solid franchise like the Wild into a mess. And I still don't quite understand what they did for the Vegas expansion draft.

I heard a rumour that MIN was in on Gardiner, but it fell through when their GM was fired.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Matthews has 7 goals in 7 games. Nylander has been fantastic.

Are you paying attention?

Yes. I have. Matthews is the only one earning his pay up to this point. Nylander has been "ok". Just so we are clear here, I don't see these players as now "over achieving." Now that the money is on the table, they need to earn that pay.

Every. Night.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Need more games against bottom feeders ... Detroit, Ottawa, Minnesota, ...

Want to see them go toe-to-toe with Lightning, Carolina, Colorado ... that's where they prove themselves.

And that's where a team filled out with a solid 4 lines deep on talent can shut down 4 players.

This isn't basketball.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Cody Ceci continues to put up some monster numbers.

Among the 64 NHL Dmen with 100+ minutes so far:

TOI QoC%: 29.99 (6th hardest)
Zone starts ratio: 44.19 (11th lowest)
Points/60: 1.98 (8th highest)
CF%: 56.62 (11th highest)
xGF%: 55.3 (19th highest)
GF%: 64.6 (10th highest)

Pretty quiet in here about him which I guess is a good thing considering the overall negative mood of the board but just dont jump on him if he makes a mistake next game or something. He's been a stud.....as has the whole top 4 so far outside of Rielly the first few games.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes the Leafs should definitely be making roster decisions based on what Jeff O'Dog Neill thinks...
So switching Moore and Kapanen after 7 games (losing 3 in a row) and doesn't seem to be working takes Jeff O'Neill level thinking?
Ok Mike.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yes. I have. Matthews is the only one earning his pay up to this point. Nylander has been "ok". Just so we are clear here, I don't see these players as now "over achieving." Now that the money is on the table, they need to earn that pay.

Every. Night.

As far as I'm concerned, players paid north $10M are expected to be difference makers every night. No player is expected to score every game that includes OV, Sid, McDavid but it's understood that we should notice them on the ice every shift, every game and that they should be a handful for every opponent.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, players paid north $10M are expected to be difference makers every night. No player is expected to score every game that includes OV, Sid, McDavid but it's understood that we should notice them on the ice every shift, every game and that they should be a handful for every opponent.

Pretty much exactly how I see it!

Dubas has structured this team's pay structure to that of basketball.

But this isn't basketball.

Last night's game was exactly how I expect every damn game to go. Where those 4 drive the plays, stand out and are noticed...while putting up points.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It was a good game and just a few notes from watching it live.
Willie was flying till it became 4-1. He was one of the few that literally cut through and enter the zone without any problems. His goals will come but he needs to play a bit more physical.
Matthews is a beast even if he is not scoring. He was very very good defensively, his back check all the time and never gave up in the play.
AJ got a few chances but he seems to be lost in the ozone once he is there.
Moore is beasting it. JT and Marner instantly played better when Moore got put in their line.
Kap was flying the moment he went to Kerfoot and Soup line.
4th line is solid and thats what you need.
Ceci is a pretty solid Dman.
Marincin and Holl got great reach but they are a bit slow at the back.
Barrie is fantastic and I think Muzzin and him compliment each other well

Reactions: Gary Nylund

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Anyway, the best possible thing about this game other than the win was that the impossible happened. Babs finally made a line adjustment, one 95% of HFboards TML boards has been screaming for, and whadaya know? It worked like a charm.

He should leave the lineup card to us and just worry about running practices

Yeah, because clearly we have no time for stuff like practices. Pfffff... lol

Reactions: supermann_98

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Cody Ceci continues to put up some monster numbers.

Among the 64 NHL Dmen with 100+ minutes so far:

TOI QoC%: 29.99 (6th hardest)
Zone starts ratio: 44.19 (11th lowest)
Points/60: 1.98 (8th highest)
CF%: 56.62 (11th highest)
xGF%: 55.3 (19th highest)
GF%: 64.6 (10th highest)

Pretty quiet in here about him which I guess is a good thing considering the overall negative mood of the board but just dont jump on him if he makes a mistake next game or something. He's been a stud.....as has the whole top 4 so far outside of Rielly the first few games.
Agreed. Barrie has also put up some excellent numbers, aside from goal differential due to awful luck. 60.3 cf% and 54 xgf%. Good work by Dubas to really upgrade the right defense

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Those 4 greedy ****ers finally earned their pay for one game.

I expect this level of performance every night. That's what we've bought.
I expect a lot more from the tre 11mill players then Nylander at this point. Dont think he is overpaid , not on this team. Matthews been good. Nylander good. And now Tavares and Marner gets going. Whats not to like? :)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I thought Holl was super effective. He skated out with the puck many times and he did well in the defensive zone. There was a shift or two where he gave up the puck unnecessarily while trying to whip the puck around the boards though. Marincin and Holl were pretty good last night as a duo but it was against a terrible team.

Holl has been getting better and better. It's almost like all he needed is to actually play more than a game every 6 weeks. He's getting that puck confidence where he can actually use his best strength. He's huge, he's strong and he can skate... I don't know why people don't like him more.
Yeah I might have gotten that one totally wrong.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Disagree with Rielly. He looked really good, probably his best game yet. Skating around the o-zone freely like he would a lot yesterday.
Yeah. I clarified it in the other thread. I liked Rielly overall, he was terrific offensively and it outweighed his defensive issues. I just meant that if someone had told me he had zero points, I would have believed them. He sneaked in a secondary assist on all of them. I wouldn't say he was a driving factor in any of them.

Jun 27, 2005
I think it's becoming more clear that Kapanen is better suited for the bottom 6. I don't think he needs to play with Matthews or Tavares again, especially with Hyman returning.

I'm not totally sure on Johnsson up there long-term either tbh, but he definitely brings more to the table.

I think some players can play their off wing and some can't.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Lets not kid ourselves here, we played the worst team in the league and we our top guys showed up, but have a bad feeling about tonight's game.
Our big guys choke in big games and we have seen in it many times.

So much this.

Against tampa our big players all disappeared like Houdini. Hopefully they dont pull the same act against the caps today. Should be a good test

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad