OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Coffee Talk with Linda Richman

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I've only had coffee once in my life when I was a teenager and got so drunk my friends were trying to make me drink it. Never had it since.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Used to drink 4 cups or more of coffee a day, now on my diet I feel like shit sometimes so thinking it's due to how much coffee I drink. I'm cutting back to 2 cups a day for a few weeks, then 1 cup a day, then I'll try getting off it for a month. Replace it with 2-4 liters of water a day instead.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
To be honest, Faranheit is the only measurement system that makes more sense to me for imperial units than metric units. Every other unit makes insanely more sense with the metric system, but saying 30 Celsius is hot...that just seems weird to me. Basing temperature on the freezing point and boiling point of water, just seems weird to me.

I actually agree. Sure, Celsius is simpler to know why the numbers are what they are. But really, who cares what temperature water boils at? Give me the one that describes things better. A degree C is just a less descriptive unit than a degree F. Regular life happens in about a 100 degree range in Farenheit, but about 50 in Celsius. It's very easy to describe weather in 10 degree increments in F, but saying it's in the 20s in C ranges from jacket weather to beach weather. Even at work, I need to get things to exactly 25C or 77 F. If I'm off by a degree C, I'm twice as far off as I would be if I'm off one degree F.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Outside of drinking booze here and there, I mostly just drink water and coffee with the odd glass of the Natrel milk with a protein shake.

I don't drink coffee as much anymore, which makes me appreciate it even more when I get a good cup of it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I used to drink 0 cups of coffee a day and now I drink 0 cups of coffee a day. I like to change things up :)

I will have the occasional iced Capp from Tim Hortons.

Reactions: Clare2904

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Outside of drinking booze here and there, I mostly just drink water and coffee with the odd glass of the Natrel milk with a protein shake.

I don't drink coffee as much anymore, which makes me appreciate it even more when I get a good cup of it.

I have lots of kombucha or water. The occasional beer. Very occasional.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Meh.. it'd be weird to tell a police officer i'm going 120 kilometers per hour in an 88.5 kilometer per hour zone.

First time in Oz I saw a 100km/hr zone, I thought I was really going to be able to book. Then I did the math. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I always felt like time was better in relation to miles, but I could also just be dumb and used to miles. :laugh: If i'm driving 60mph, which is common, it's 60 minutes for every 60 miles. It makes sense.

If that's kilometers or whatever wizardry they use, it's 96. Oh good! 96 kilometers = 1 hour . See how that just doesn't work?

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I always felt like time was better in relation to miles, but I could also just be dumb and used to miles. :laugh: If i'm driving 60mph, which is common, it's 60 minutes for every 60 miles. It makes sense.

If that's kilometers or whatever wizardry they use, it's 96. Oh good! 96 kilometers = 1 hour . See how that just doesn't work?

I liked driving through South Dakota and Montana. Speed limit is 80mph, and nobody bothers you if you're going 90 mph. I know at 90mph it's 1.5 miles per minute . . . which is .5 miles per minute more than your 60mph Driving Miss Daisy bull****. :teach2:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Now I'm just picturing someone who is used to metric talking about how simple 60 km/h is, and how silly 37 mph zones seem.

35 mph is about 60 km/h, or 1 km/min. That's obviously pretty slow, but if you drive 75 mph, that's 120 km/h. That's 2 km/min. I think having to divide by 2 for highway speeds is easily made up for with how much more a km makes sense than a mile.

So you'd still have that simple reference point of 60 per 60, it would just be different than you're currently used to. And you'd get the bonus of 60 per 60 being a low enough speed that we'd also get 90 and 120 per 60 zones, which are also super simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
First time in Oz I saw a 100km/hr zone, I thought I was really going to be able to book. Then I did the math. :laugh:

The Northern Territory didn’t have speed limits unless you were in a town and they were few and far between.

They have highway speed limits now at 130 km (80 mph).

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Tom Hanks - I'm watching De Minaur, from Australia, right now in the semis of Brisbane. Kid's 18 and having a tremendous tourney. PLaying the American vet Ryan Harrison.

Ever been to Brisbane?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

...this is some interesting logic. So, like... at 100km/h for 1 hour

6 minutes = 10km
12 minutes = 20km
18 minutes = 30km
24 minutes = 40km
30 minutes = 50km
36 minutes = 60km
42 minutes = 70km
48 minutes = 80km
54 minutes = 90km
60 minutes = 100km

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
@Tom Hanks - I'm watching De Minaur, from Australia, right now in the semis of Brisbane. Kid's 18 and having a tremendous tourney. PLaying the American vet Ryan Harrison.

Ever been to Brisbane?

Nice. Good for him. He was a wildcard entry so he’s done well. I don’t see much tennis these days since I got rid of cable. I used to love going to the Australian Open

Brisbane (or Brisben in Aussie speak ;)) is awesome. Weather is beautiful and pretty laid back. I have all my Dad’s side of the family up there. Almost moved there at one stage to go to University. Went to Alice Springs (middle of the outback) instead and got paid a truck load of money. Paid off my traveling debt and saved up to go for another year abroad. Never came back though :laugh:. Canada’s stuck with me now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
...this is some interesting logic. So, like... at 100km/h for 1 hour

6 minutes = 10km
12 minutes = 20km
18 minutes = 30km
24 minutes = 40km
30 minutes = 50km
36 minutes = 60km
42 minutes = 70km
48 minutes = 80km
54 minutes = 90km
60 minutes = 100km

But that's not the actual numbers. It's close.. but it's not exact. Or at least my google conversions tell me so! :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice. Good for him. He was a wildcard entry so he’s done well. I don’t see much tennis these days since I got rid of cable. I used to love going to the Australian Open

Brisbane (or Brisben in Aussie speak ;)) is awesome. Weather is beautiful and pretty laid back. I have all my Dad’s side of the family up there. Almost moved there at one stage to go to University. Went to Alice Springs (middle of the outback) instead and got paid a truck load of money. Paid off my traveling debt and saved up to go for another year abroad. Never came back though :laugh:. Canada’s stuck with me now.

Australia is always one place I've wanted to go. I just want fresh water, clear as can be, beautiful sun, and some good eats. But I also LOVE the Aussie Open. So if I took the time off, you would recommend.... which part?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Australia is always one place I've wanted to go. I just want fresh water, clear as can be, beautiful sun, and some good eats. But I also LOVE the Aussie Open. So if I took the time off, you would recommend.... which part?

Ahhh so many places.

Melbourne is a great city. If you love sports it basically has a bit of everything. Aussie Rules football, Cricket, tennis, Grand Prix, horse racing is pretty big especially on the major race days guys and girls get dressed in their finest awesome time. There is an ice hockey league too. Lots of good food in Melbourne very multicultural. Nice parks and gardens. Go to a big Aussie Rules game with 80,000-100,000 people and it’s pretty cool when they start to cheer loudly.

Brisbane the weather is always good and just further north you get the white sandy beaches that squeak when you walk so clean. Steve Irwin’s Zoo is up that way and Fraser Island would be great to check out. Check out the Great Barrier Reef!

Never been to Sydney. Adelaide is cool but there is better places to go. Perth is right out the way but laid back nice beaches.

Tasmania is a the southern state that’s an island. It’s nice but if you have limited time there’s better to see.

I always recommend Alice Springs it’s your base to explore the outback. There will be some 3-5 day organised tours you can take from there to explore Uluru, the Olga’s and Kings Canyon. Youll see things you probably won’t see anywhere else. You’ll actually meet people from all over the world there too. There is a bar in Alice Springs that streams video of the place so your friends and family can watch you. They can even buy you drinks with their credit card. Some of the locals have gotten in trouble when they go out with the boys and their wives/girlfriends watch.

If you have time you could start in the Brisbane area drive down the coast to Sydney spend some time there and then Melbourne. They are all on the same coast. Brisbane to Melbourne is 2hr flight or about 20 hour drive total time.

I’d stick to the east coast (there are places outside the major cities too) and if you can get to Alice Springs and explore around there for 5 days or so it’d be quite the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad