OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Coffee Talk with Linda Richman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
46 would be a 60 degree difference from the wind chill factor. :laugh: I would probably play tennis outside if it were 46 for how warm it would feel compared to -16.

Reactions: TNT87

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's going to be -40 Celcius here tonight. Nice and brisk.

Louis-C.K.-Disgusted.gif

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm going to try going out running tonight after work. I've run in cold temps before but this may be a record. Gonna be like 8 degrees, well under zero with the wind chill.

Also I think my knees are starting to break down but we'll see.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm going to try going out running tonight after work. I've run in cold temps before but this may be a record. Gonna be like 8 degrees, well under zero with the wind chill.

Also I think my knees are starting to break down but we'll see.

My brother is a runner and i do a lot of sports agility. Two completely different worlds. My trainer always says running is harder on a body because it's constant wearing down of your body instead of trying to build up function/muscle. He really recommends adding some type of functional training for runners so you aren't just tearing away or else your knees/hips will just eventually go.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The fact we use such ass-backwards measurements still infuriates me. Thanks Grandpa.

216015.gif

Speaking of that, I heard a pretty interesting clip on NPR about pirates (not the baseball team) holding prisoner a dude that was bringing a standard kilogram to the US at the request of Jefferson:

How Pirates Of The Caribbean Hijacked America's Metric System

The secretary of state at the time was Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson knew about a new French system and thought it was just what America needed. He wrote to his pals in France, and the French sent a scientist named Joseph Dombey off to Jefferson carrying a small copper cylinder with a little handle on top. It was about 3 inches tall and about the same wide.

This object was intended to be a standard for weighing things, part of a weights and measure system being developed in France, now known as the metric system. The object's weight was 1 kilogram.
Crossing the Atlantic, Dombey ran into a giant storm.

"It blew his ship quite far south into the Caribbean Sea," says Martin.

And you know who was lurking in Caribbean waters in the late 1700s? Pirates.

"These pirates were British privateers, to be exact," says Martin. "They were basically water-borne criminals tacitly supported by the British government, and they were tasked with harassing enemy shipping."

The pirates took Joseph Dombey prisoner on the island of Montserrat, hoping to obtain a ransom for him. Unfortunately for the pirates, and for Dombey as well, he died in captivity.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That honestly doesn't surprise me. They've had multiple chances to convert before, though, just as most of the world did. Now we're basically past the point of no return because of the sheer logistics and risk of converting everything over (just think of the nightmare it would be to try to convert NASA over to a different standard).

Both systems need to be taught to children in school, though. Knowing those measurements sure as shit would have helped me more than knowing cursive ever has.

Also just math in general. Every teacher always said 'you won't always have a calculator with you.' Boy were they ever wrong.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That honestly doesn't surprise me. They've had multiple chances to convert before, though, just as most of the world did. Now we're basically past the point of no return because of the sheer logistics and risk of converting everything over (just think of the nightmare it would be to try to convert NASA over to a different standard).

Both systems need to be taught to children in school, though. Knowing those measurements sure as **** would have helped me more than knowing cursive ever has.

Also just math in general. Every teacher always said 'you won't always have a calculator with you.' Boy were they ever wrong.
At least metric is super easy to teach.

Schools should give in on accepting that everyone has calculators. Spend less time on doing the actual arithmetic and more time on when you should be using different math. Teach more math understanding and less math calculating.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
The metric system is so superior.

I think I’m particularly bad with the imperial system. If a recipe is in ounces or meat at a restaurant is I’m just like “....*saved by technology*”

I'm a mix. Was always taught centimeters/meters yet miles, grams yet pounds, mls yet pints.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm a mix. Was always taught centimeters/meters yet miles, grams yet pounds, mls yet pints.

The sum of my knowledge is

1kg = 2.2lb
1km = 1.6 miles
1 inch = 2.54cm
1 foot = 12 inches

I could guess and say 16 ounces in a pound and 4 litres in a gallon. A yard is some asinine number. I could eye ball inches and feet, and I think I have some grasp of pounds for weight with higher numbers.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Just this week I've had to do a bunch of conversions from metric to imperial. Products we've purchased were made in Italy, have their testing done there, and also have it all documented that way. They need to meet our specs, which are all in imperial units.

I've got some weird numbers remembered now. Like to get PSI, you multiple MPa by 145.038. And you multiply Joules by 0.747562 to get ft*lb.

Deg C to Deg F is easy though.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh.. it'd be weird to tell a police officer i'm going 120 kilometers per hour in an 88.5 kilometer per hour zone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be honest, Faranheit is the only measurement system that makes more sense to me for imperial units than metric units. Every other unit makes insanely more sense with the metric system, but saying 30 Celsius is hot...that just seems weird to me. Basing temperature on the freezing point and boiling point of water, just seems weird to me.

Whenever I have to do work with BTU or lbs, I get extremely angry. In my nuke course for last semester, my professor had us do a ranking cycle analysis with BTU/lb units. Nothing has bothered me more in school than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad