OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Coffee Talk with Linda Richman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I was offered over $10,000 LESS per year for a promotion. My company is so messed up sometimes haha. Oh, and they'd cut into my vacation time and cut off my benefits once I retire if I chose a promotion, as well as no guarantee of ever getting a raise (I get over $1,000 raises every year right now).
Plus it would be easier for them to move me around our district.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was offered over $10,000 LESS per year for a promotion. My company is so messed up sometimes haha. Oh, and they'd cut into my vacation time and cut off my benefits once I retire if I chose a promotion, as well as no guarantee of ever getting a raise (I get over $1,000 raises every year right now).
Plus it would be easier for them to move me around our district.

That doesn't sound like much of a promotion, it sounds like more of a demotion :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
b21103aef80da60a0ba7647ac89e15a9--tripod-salems-lot.jpg

I'll take a job that I love and that makes a lot of money. If I had to pick 1? job that makes a lot of money. Things are getting too expensive now so more money the better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bad news: I was misled about the prices of those Squirrel Hill apartments, to the point where they're outside of my price range. I was told they'd be at most $1085 a month, they are actually $1185 a month at most. I was already questioning on whether I could afford $1085 a month, but I'm definitely out on $1185 a month.
Good news: I (hopefully) found a much cheaper and equally as nice apartment in Point Breeze for $900 a month instead. That's a hell of a lot more workable for me than near $1.1k a month.

At this point, I'm expecting that good news to fall apart into bad news too, because that's usually how it plays out for me when I'm looking for apartments and such :laugh:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
To me, a job is a job. I like working in general, so something that pays better is always a bonus. I can be a bit of a workaholic though. I work an extra day basically every week (6 days instead of the usual 5x8 hours). I plan on doing that until I no longer have the energy for it.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wish my current job I could say I could pick at least 1...

I'm at a job I hate but make $20 an hour, so I can't complain. I like money and I can work on myself outside of a job to be happy. But I'm not a money equals happiness guy, happiness is a state of mind. You'll reach it, then you wont, then you'll reach it. It can be simple things too like a sunrise, Penguins winning a hockey game, paying off your phone bill, etc.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Even though I'm not a huge fan of my current job, I still give them an honest days work every day.

And the pay is OK. I'm by no means struggling, but they've skipped over giving me a yearly raise 3 out of the last 4 years (for various reasons out of my control) and had to jump me down a pay grade (same pay, but lower ceiling) last winter when I was forced to transfer division. I wasn't allowed to be the same grade as my boss. So I'm way behind where I should be.

I did have an interview on Friday that was promising (one interviewer seemed to love me and the other seemed questionable), so hopefully that can pan out. Big pay bump and helping start a department from the ground floor in a way. Only downside is that it's a contract gig and only guaranteed for 12 months. The company does have a history of hiring their contractors permanently if they want to keep them, and the interviewer told me if I do good work there's a good chance I'll be hired on. It's just a risky thing for me... if they offer it to me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So a downside of my job just came up; found out today I'm driving to Kentucky tomorrow, then back friday after we run a product we've successfully run each of the 3 other times we've tried. But they messed it up today, so now they want me to come help. But this is the part of my job that I'm better at, and the part that earns me raises. I actually prefer this side of my job over the lab side in terms of the actual work, I just hate the no-notice trips.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
So a downside of my job just came up; found out today I'm driving to Kentucky tomorrow, then back friday after we run a product we've successfully run each of the 3 other times we've tried. But they messed it up today, so now they want me to come help. But this is the part of my job that I'm better at, and the part that earns me raises. I actually prefer this side of my job over the lab side in terms of the actual work, I just hate the no-notice trips.

I think my company still has assets in rural KY. Some of the other engineers would have to do trips like you're describing. Some of the operations people would try to take them to cock fights after work. [The ones with the animals.]

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think my company still has assets in rural KY. Some of the other engineers would have to do trips like you're describing. Some of the operations people would try to take them to cock fights after work. [The ones with the animals.]
I haven't been taken to any sort of fights, just some dinners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad