Besides the poor play--what about poor announcing?

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
A lot of people here think seem to think complaining about the announcers is a reaction to the team's performance this year. I thought Sam Rosen did a bad job last year too. I think he's definitely gotten worse though this year. I'm just happy someone finally made a thread about it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think we all know that Sam has been slipping for a while, but I also think that we are all on board, or the vast majority of us are on board with giving the guy a pass until he calls it a day.

As a Yankees fan, I felt the same way about Phil Rizzuto. At the end, he was BRUTAL. But it was Phil Rizzuto. He was a Yankee, and had a great voice and had been doing the job for a a long time (40 years)

Rosen gets a lifetime pass from me. Do it until you stop breathing.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sam is losing it a bit but watching a Rangers game would not be the same without him. I've never been a big fan of Joe but I'm used to him now. He's at his best when he's honest instead of trying to sugarcoat things.

Giannone would be my worst nightmare. Not only does he lack the right voice for PBP, but I question his understanding of the game sometimes. Against St. Louis, a penalty was called, the Rangers maintained control of the puck and the whistle blew, and Gianonne thought the Rangers were about to go on a PP. :help:

yeah, that dude is a friggin idiot

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
Giannone is fine between the benches, if i have to listen to him for 60 minutes my ears will bleed.
Sometimes i watch the isles just for Rose, he'd be my first choice by far, just dont let him bring butch with him, he's a young phil rizzuto (doesnt pay attention, blabs on constantly)... wait i take that back bring goring its hilarious.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Sam Rosen gets a free pass from me for the slip ups and what not, those I can tolerate. I know Sam and Joe are MSG employees and have good relationships with the team and the players, but I wish they were a bit more honest and critical of how poor the team has played this year. Listening to them announce that San Jose game was almost as bad as watching it.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Sam is still great.

And the alternative could be much worse than a few of Sam's mistakes here and there.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Come on upstate and watch the Sabres broadcasts if you really want to complain about homerism and bad announcing.

Drewbackatu*

Annoucing?? Sam is becoming unwatchable.... I love the guy.... BUT...it's time to retire and put the radio team in the TV booth..... Kenny Albert and Dave Maloney would be much better... How many times do I have to hear Sam call out the wrong name or number???? and he completely misses a ton of the

Agree. Sammy and Micheletti spend way too much time making excuses and waxing poetic about the lousy product on the ice. Time for both of them to move on.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Man John Amarante(sp?) better have a great National Anthem on the first home game or people will be calling for him to get the axe. If the zamboni driver goes to slow during the intermission, he could get canned to.

Man AV's "clean slate" apparently has been interpreted by some around here as "wipe the slate clean and then start over."

Sam is great. Sure he misses called but the day he retires will be a real sad day for us who grew up listening to him call the games.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Trade the zamboni driver, Sam, two hot dog vendors, and Boyle for Dubinsky :sarcasm:

I agree though. He has been an ear sore this whole season, Joe too.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Michelleti takes his job too seriously. You're calling a hockey game Joe and most of the time your audience is a group of fans who have been watching this team for decades, it's OK to make a joke and have some fun once in a while. Maybe I just miss that from having grown up watching JD but watch the FS Coyotes broadcast when Mike Smith scored his goal. Those guys legitimately sound like they are having a great time and aren't afraid to show it. If Michelleti was calling that game he would have spent all his time explaining to us the physics behind a goaltender lofting the puck that far.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Have to stick up for John Giannone, who is a great guy and knows hockey. I think that he does a good job between the benches and in interviews. Maloney is one of the funniest good guys I have met doing this job. Just thinking about him makes me laugh.

I don't think that anyone would argue that Sam is the same as he was 10 years ago, nor is John Amarante. But they are Rangers through and through.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Rosen will call a spade a spade.

Micheletti is doing it too.

I like them better with the team losing. People clamor for JD but that dude was unbearable during the seven year drought:

"Look at his hands Sam.....look at Lindros' hands. Once he gets them back, there's no reason why he can't be an MVP-type player again"

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I actually try to buy tickets right next to where Albert and Maloney call the games. I actually REALLY enjoy them. If I could manage to sync the radio call with TV, I'd do it. It's not been the same with Sam since J.D. left us. I'd have zero issues with them taking over.

With that said, I would love to see what Biron could do. He's hilarious and quick-witted. Not as a play-by-play guy, but certainly as a color guy. I guess i'm of the minority that wants to punch Micheletti in the face every time he opens his mouth.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sam should leave on his terms. He's the most permanent part of Rangers hockey and he's earned the right to. All announcers make mistakes. Having heard most of them, Sam doesn't make more than other people, though he does make more than he used to.

As for Giannone, not much of a fan. He's always promoting social media but doesn't seem all that comfortable with it. And when he announces? I hate his style. Nothing bothers me more than an announcer telling what just happened rather than what is happening. JG is always a beat or two behind the play. His interviews are good and sometimes he has good insight, but I wish they had someone they could engage more at ice level.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Sam has slowed down and makes mistakes but as people said, it's Sam and we all love him. It's like watching a game with a friend.

Joe is fine too. He has his quirks but he's much better than 99% of the league.

Albert is the logical choice to take over in a few years whenever Sam decides to hang em up.

I think Joe has earned the right to stay. A few other guys who might be interesting to try if they're going to totally change it up; Kevin Weeks, Marty Biron, Sean Avery, Ron Greschner.

Just throwing names out there. Give Esa Tikkanen a shot too :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Sam's making mistakes? That's fine. How many of you want to pay close attention to these games either?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Micheletti is light years better than he used to be, but he's still not a great color man. You would never think he played NHL hockey considering the level of analysis he brings forward. "I think it hit his skate Sam."

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The problem I have with the tandem is the dynamic they create. Not the mistakes. Joe starts calling color, and Sam just goes too far in to the color with Joe. they play off each other and before you know it 3 minutes have passed and Sam has said, "Player X has the puck." and everything else was some response to Joe's color. We can't have two color guys for 50% of the game.

I don't care about the mistakes, Sam can call Lundqvist Fluery and I will laugh. That's not the problem. He needs to call the game like a PBP guy.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Rose and Maloney are my dream team, but unless Rose discovers the Fountain of Youth and Micheletti moves to NBC full-time it won't happen.

If Rose goes longer than Sam he will be here. I know they are around the same age but I can't imagine it would go to anyone else if Rose is interested.

Lets hope this is a discussion for 10 + years down the road

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Sam's earned the right to retire when he wants. I don't care how many mistakes he makes, I grew up listening to him and I hope hes here another 10 years.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

I dont care if he screws up a call....its not radio i can see whats going on with my eyes...i usually correct him before he corrects himself....but i dont mind one bit.... i hope Sams in the booth for as long as he wants to be

Balej20

Jan 4, 2013
Good Day All,

While perusing this thread, I have come across quite a few insightful posts. I can understand both sides of this critical issue. On one hand, Sam has certainly dropped off in overall performance over the years, which is to be expected at his advanced age. On the other hand, I feel as though Sam has earned a retire to retire when he feels. With that said, and knowing the inevitable is unavoidable, who do we have as potential replacements for the great Sam.

Thanks,

Conine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad