Besides the poor play--what about poor announcing?

Traderalways

Oct 27, 2011
Annoucing?? Sam is becoming unwatchable.... I love the guy.... BUT...it's time to retire and put the radio team in the TV booth..... Kenny Albert and Dave Maloney would be much better... How many times do I have to hear Sam call out the wrong name or number???? and he completely misses a ton of the action!!!

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Last night Sam said the play stopped because of an offsides when the puck clearly was shot over the glass.

We all love Sam, but I agree. Bring in Albert and Maloney.

Traderalways

Oct 27, 2011
Last night Sam said the play stopped because of an offsides when the puck clearly was shot over the glass.

Lol...one of many last night... Give Sam a role Just interviewing players between periods and pre and post game

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I think Giannone would be good up there.

But listen to the Devils' feed for a few games and you'll be alright with just about anything.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think Giannone would be good up there.

But listen to the Devils' feed for a few games and you'll be alright with just about anything.

True to both of these statements...

Johnny G's announcing is quick and accurate... Unlike Kenny Albert who sounds like he should be announcing a horserace...

Chico on the other hand... dear lord, nobody is worse than him... At least Sam can admit when the Rangers are doing poorly. No Devil can do wrong in Chico's eyes

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Sam always starts out a little slow as he's dividing his time between hockey and football, but I agree that he has been slipping a bit over the last few years.

I think Micheletti gives some decent analysis and he's a lot more objective than some in the league, but I'm not married to him (and for the love of Pete, I'm freakin' tired of hearing about everyone who's ever played the game is a a "good man").

I'd love to see Marty Biron get a guest spot here and there to see what he could do as a color guy...

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I think Sam is great, I didn't hear any mistakes last night.
In fact he waited and did not do an early "It's a power play goal" for JT Miller.

John Gionne would be a poor replacement. He does not have the masculinity voice.

When Sam retires, bring over Howie Rose.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I think Sam is great, I didn't hear any mistakes last night.
In fact he waited and did not do an early "It's a power play goal" for JT Miller.

John Gionne would be a poor replacement. He does not have the masculinity voice.

When Sam retires, bring over Howie Rose.

Totally agree with this. Sam Rosen's voice IS the New York Rangers, for those of us who grew up listening to him. Warts and all.

Mention any play by play announcer in the business, including Jim Hughson, the best there is, and you will find people who criticize him. Especially on dese here internets.

I also agree when Sam does finally hang up the pipes, we call Howie Rose up from JV.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Please no Maloney in the booth. He's gotten a lot better since he started, but he still has trouble making a cogent point. It's like he starts talking and hopes to figure out what point he's trying to make by the time he gets to the end of it.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Kenny Albert looks like a total dope but he's the best American hockey voice on the radio IMO. Great play by play. Rosen may not be as sharp anymore but I like the guy and enjoy his announcing

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Weird. I love Sam Rosen but I had a similar thought for the first time in my life last night. Can't imagine watching a Ranger game without Sam.

I generally like Micheletti. I am glad he tries to stay unbiased. Sometimes I think he really goes out of the way though to appear that way, like hes aiming for an NBC gig. Like I don't want Chico in the booth. But when the Rangers are on a terrible streak and get some tough calls I want a little bite back.

And as an aside: damn HF no one is safe - get Taffer in here! Shut it down!

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Kenny Albert looks like a total dope but he's the best American hockey voice on the radio IMO. Great play by play. Rosen may not be as sharp anymore but I like the guy and enjoy his announcing

Yup. He looks like a burnout, but when it comes to calling the game, he is top notch. People can say they don't like his style and that's fine, but he is on the payroll for NBC during their NHL broadcasts and the Olympics for a reason. He just calls the plays which is how a PBP guy should do it.

Right now the Rangers have two color guys and one of them is going senile. If you love something let it go. Sam is a NY legend but he needs to retire. He and Joe editorializing for 3 minutes straight without calling the play at all is getting older than Sam. Kenny or Howie for me. Joe can stay.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Sam's earned the right to retire when he wants. I don't care how many mistakes he makes, I grew up listening to him and I hope hes here another 10 years.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
So on top of the teams issues, we now put our focus on our announcers? :laugh:

Sam is the man. Joe isn't bad. I bet Maloney gets all tanked up before doing the games. I know I would if I had to watch this three ring circus (Just like in the movie Major league).

KreiMeARiver*

Millenials vs. Sam Rosen= Me wanting to go to Home Depot and get a chainsaw.

do the math

Who is next? The janitors? Miller Lite kiosk attendant #873

Vickers8

A flyer shot the puck in form the faceoff dot outside the Ranger blue line and caused an offsides and Sam called it icing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad