Besides the poor play--what about poor announcing?

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Last night was a perfect example of why Sam needs to stay the Rangers play by play voice for as long as he likes. He misidentified a player or two, and made other insignificant mistakes, but the emotion in his voice on the two third period goals brought to mind all that is good about Rangers hockey.

Those goal calls reminded me of some of his famous goal calls from his recent and even more distant past. Sam Rosen is the New York Rangers for a lot of us.

Mr Atoz*

Yeah Kenny is awful. He spends the majority of the broadcast calling the play. That's lame. I want to hear about colleges and how awesome the other team's players are all night.

Well, at least there are two of us. It's all Davidson's fault. He's the one that started blathering about his life instead of announcing. How many times did Sam have to yell "SCORE" out of nowhere because the big oaf was pontificating while he ignored the game in front of him?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Giannone's voice reminds me of when Bryant Gumble called games on the NFL Network. Ooph!
YES you hit it on the nail:handclap:

Last night was a perfect example of why Sam needs to stay the Rangers play by play voice for as long as he likes. He misidentified a player or two, and made other insignificant mistakes, but the emotion in his voice on the two third period goals brought to mind all that is good about Rangers hockey.

Those goal calls reminded me of some of his famous goal calls from his recent and even more distant past. Sam Rosen is the New York Rangers for a lot of us.
Exactly he can feel and call a game fairly and unbiased with a healthy enthusiasm for the Rangers. Few announcers can balance it.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
You people attacking Hockey Granpda are monsters. Sam Rosen is an institution!

That specifically makes him vulnerable. Institutional economics, it's all I say.

Whew. My paper is really getting to my head, sorry. :laugh:

It's the way it is, at some point it just isn't worth it any more. What? You people think it's going to be like Futurama, Sam sitting there, his heaf in a jar, announcing?

Hopefully they institute some new people and don't let the market just get overtaken by the other crappy announcers. MSG has good people.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
You will hear this many times this year from Sam Rosen:

He shoots
PING!
GREAT SAVE BY LUNDQVIST!

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
You will hear this many times this year from Sam Rosen:

He shoots
PING!
GREAT SAVE BY LUNDQVIST!

You hear that from every play by play announcer on the planet. Sometimes even with replay you can't tell what something hit until you see your third or fourth angle of the play.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
12 minutes and change left in the period...Sam "7 Minutes to go!" lol

What you're probably referring to is when stupid money-***** Dolan and the MSG Network makes Sam remind us with like 8-10 minutes in the third that the Foxwoods Final Five is upcoming. Then at the five minute mark - DURING PLAY REGARDLESS WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE ONE ICE- Sam has to announce we are now in the Foxwoods Final Five.

With all of the sponsorship announcements Sam has to keep up with - 'the goal cam is sponsored by so-and-so' and the 'center ice cam is sponsored by so-and-so', 'the defenseman's missing tooth is sponsored by so-and-so', making him throw in one or two sentence commercials at the same time...it's a wonder Sam has any time to concentrate on the game at all.

Last edited:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The announcers stink, the beat writers stink, the front office stinks, the ownership stinks, the team stinks, the coach stinks.........

I know that it is our god-given right as fans to complain but the level of unhappiness here speaks to a deeper psychosis.

This is supposed to be a diversion from our everyday lives, fun and entertaining. Sure we all want to win and everything is better when we do. Sure being a Ranger fan is the dictionary definition of frustration.

But give me a break...none of us have ever made a mistake? None of us have had a bad day? All of us are perfect?

Picking on Sam Rosen is the height of stupidity. The guy does a great job...so if he makes an occasional goof....so what? He was served this team well for all these years. He has earned the right to leave when he decides to. And he's only the announcer. He doesn't make personnel decisions, doesn't decide who to dress or draft. Turn down the sound if you don't like him. After all, most of us are such great experts that we don't need commentary or play-by-play.

A can just imagine the thread when he leaves......some of you people will be apoplectic with rage and hatred for those in line to take his place.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
It's easier to hear a puck hit the post through a mic at ice level than it is from 5 stories above.

And we don't even know what Sam (or any pxp announcer) is hearing in their headset with their producers and directors talking, etc., during play.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
What you're probably referring to is when stupid money-***** Dolan and the MSG Network makes Sam remind us with like 8-10 minutes in the third that the Foxwoods Final Five is upcoming. Then at the five minute mark - DURING PLAY REGARDLESS WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE ONE ICE- Sam has to announce we are now in the Foxwoods Final Five.

With all of the sponsorship announcements Sam has to keep up with - 'the goal cam is sponsored by so-and-so' and the 'center ice cam is sponsored by so-and-so', 'the defenseman's missing tooth is sponsored by so-and-so', making him throw in one or two sentence commercials at the same time...it's a wonder Sam has any time to concentrate on the game at all.

There are pre-printed cards for all that stuff. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I'm sure Howie Rose mucking up Clutterbuck name has been posted elsewhere here on the Ranger board ? It was hilarious to hear it during the play .

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think Sam has been better than the past few years. Maybe he got new glasses.

Joe is simply unlikable for me. Hes the type of guy at work that would tell on you if you said something bad about the boss.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Anyone who doesn't appriciate what Sam does for this team, I seriously question your sense of reality :laugh:

Fans would KILL for a guy like Sam. In his prime or at his worst.

Mr Atoz*

Anyone who doesn't appriciate what Sam does for this team, I seriously question your sense of reality :laugh:

Fans would KILL for a guy like Sam. In his prime or at his worst.

You mean the kind of fans that love Jack Edwards or Rick Jeanerette? Not to mention the mentally challenged 'they call me Chico because I can't speak English' Resch?

I like Sam's announcing when he announces. The problem is he doesn't do it very often.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
geez im starting to get the same feeling reading this as the gretzky thread.. about his 97 pts was washed up at the end of his career...

sam rosen is still a top play by play man in hockey.. still respected and considered good pbp for other sports as well... if you watch other teams on center ice, rangers fan have it good...

and as questionable as joe is up there.. i feel like the dynamic between him and sam is interesting.. for a few years there i honestly thought that same just hated joe (much like everyone else).. kinda just fake laughing or humoring his stories...

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Forget about sam and joe, after al trautwig's performance last night as child molester/Oedipus interviewer I think he needs to be shelved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad