Besides the poor play--what about poor announcing?

redfzn

Nov 12, 2007
NYC
bmcccuny.facebook.com
Forget about sam and joe, after al trautwig's performance last night as child molester/Oedipus interviewer I think he needs to be shelved.

lol and then he turns the kid around to show off Duguay on the back of his suit and his face is right infront of his crotch so the kid ends up awkwardly kinda standing sideways. terrible

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
I think even with last nights complaining they weren't in "Jack Edwards territory" plenty of other commentators are much worse.

If they are that bad a fun activity to do is put it on mute and do your own pbp and for example on penalties you can see if you catch the penalty... When I was 12 I'd try to call balls and strikes when watching baseball

This.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just want to say that after watching some of the NHL Highlights from all of yesterday's games that we are so blessed to have Sam Rosen as our Hometown announcer...

Some of these guys are so dry. When the opposing team scores, their voices will drop to a lull in disappointment (Particularly the WPG vs COL game from yesterday, listen to the disappointment when COL loses in OT).

Just wanted to give credit where it is due :)

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Sam is fine IMO. He's been missing calls more frequently than he used to but it's not that big a deal to me.

I really can't stand Michelleti though. All of this stuff is a matter of preference but the guy just takes his job way too seriously. We've been watching him for how many years now and he hasn't once said anything remotely humorous. JD used to make everyone laugh regularly. It brings a completely different tone to the broadcast when the color guy acts like he's enjoying himself. Watch a Coyotes game or a Stars game. You have one of the best jobs in the world, act like it once in a while.

KreiMeARiver*

Sam is fine IMO. He's been missing calls more frequently than he used to but it's not that big a deal to me.

I really can't stand Michelleti though. All of this stuff is a matter of preference but the guy just takes his job way too seriously. We've been watching him for how many years now and he hasn't once said anything remotely humorous. JD used to make everyone laugh regularly. It brings a completely different tone to the broadcast when the color guy acts like he's enjoying himself. Watch a Coyotes game or a Stars game. You have one of the best jobs in the world, act like it once in a while.

I don't think he takes it too seriously; he's just not a very funny dude. No problem with Joe. Sam is definitely on the decline, and Trautwig (who I love) is coming off a bit crotchety/creepy at times.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I just want to say that after watching some of the NHL Highlights from all of yesterday's games that we are so blessed to have Sam Rosen as our Hometown announcer...

Some of these guys are so dry. When the opposing team scores, their voices will drop to a lull in disappointment (Particularly the WPG vs COL game from yesterday, listen to the disappointment when COL loses in OT).

Just wanted to give credit where it is due :)

I've listened to a lot of announcers over the years, and I appreciate the personality that Sam and Joe have. At times, I scream out to myself "okay, stop yakkin' and call the play" but like you say, when you listen around the league, there's so many awful homers who do not even pretend to be objective.
I like Sam and Joe, warts and all. Nobody's perfect. At least they show respect for the standards of professionalism.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We're lucky to have both Sam and Joe.

I cringe every time I see a game is scheduled on NBC because of Doc "Waffle Board" Emrick and Millbury who i believe is a complete *** hole who hates the NYR

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We're lucky to have both Sam and Joe.

I cringe every time I see a game is scheduled on NBC because of Doc "Waffle Board" Emrick and Millbury who i believe is a complete *** hole who hates the NYR

Doc isn't terrible... The analyst crew between periods and post game is terrible though. Milbury is horrible

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Al's been creepy for years.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Every broad-cast team needs at least one creep in there for good measure. NBC has Pierre. We have Al Trautwig, sports creeper/archaeologist.

Al Trautwig won me over with his "BROOTAL CALL!" rant two seasons ago. I love the man.

richardsequalscup*

If you want poor announcing, listen to any Devils radio or T.V. cast. Their radio tandem are morons. On T.V., Chico is probably the worst commentator in the history of sports. That is how bad he is.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Rangers broadcasting is not an issue for me in the slightest on TV or radio. I love Sam, Joe can be a tad cheesy now and then, I like Al and Maloney too.

That said, I'm watching the game, not trying to see what announcer might be doing that could be deemed "wrong".

Chico is irritating, so that's a problem because it's distracting. It takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I prefer the radio feed for devils games. Not sure of the names.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sam is fading, but I've said it time and again, he's our Phil Rizzuto. He is gone when he wants to go. Not a minute before.

Joe I don't have a problem with.

John G, Trouts-wig and Pidto and the fastest 150 crap has to go.

all three suck farts out of seats in busses

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Sam Rosen is so awful and Micheletti is right behind him. Joltin Joe is better on NBC because he isnt as neutered by MSG who will off him if he ever criticizes anything or anyone.

They are obsessed with the USA Olympic team so much at present they miss half the action thats going on the ice. Sam Rosen is the absolutely the worst play by play man in the game. Bar None. End Of Story. Period.

RangersHank*

Sam Rosen is so awful and Micheletti is right behind him. Joltin Joe is better on NBC because he isnt as neutered by MSG who will off him if he ever criticizes anything or anyone.

They are obsessed with the USA Olympic team so much at present they miss half the action thats going on the ice. Sam Rosen is the absolutely the worst play by play man in the game. Bar None. End Of Story. Period.

Mute the TV then

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ

Dude: you want his job don't you? Come on, you can admit it.

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
I've finally had it with MSG. I try to watch the opposing teams broadcasts now. Sam & Joe are simply terrible. even with all of the homers, almost every other network is still miles better than MSG. not only announcing, but picture quality, audio, camera angles, studio crews, commercials, everything.

RangersHank*

I've finally had it with MSG. I try to watch the opposing teams broadcasts now. Sam & Joe are simply terrible. even with all of the homers, almost every other network is still miles better than MSG. not only announcing, but picture quality, camera angles, studio crews, everything.

So dont watch

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
I've finally had it with MSG. I try to watch the opposing teams broadcasts now. Sam & Joe are simply terrible. even with all of the homers, almost every other network is still miles better than MSG. not only announcing, but picture quality, audio, camera angles, studio crews, commercials, everything.

video feeds are very inconsistent. I don't get it. Aren't they owned by Cablevision?

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
HD PQ is top notch on MSG from the garden. The quality varies by arena, they're sharing the main camera angles.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
No the worst one has to be Resch that guy is boring and he gets so excited with everything Brodeur and now he has a lover affair for Schneider. He makes me sick every time I hear him. Boring as can be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad