Besides the poor play--what about poor announcing?

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
For those of us out of the NYC market we had the Detroit feed and those two guys seemed more in touch with the Rangers than Joe. I can't blame Sam though, it wouldnt be the same without him.

redfzn

Nov 12, 2007
NYC
bmcccuny.facebook.com
Sam has slowed down and makes mistakes but as people said, it's Sam and we all love him. It's like watching a game with a friend.

Joe is fine too. He has his quirks but he's much better than 99% of the league.

Albert is the logical choice to take over in a few years whenever Sam decides to hang em up.

I think Joe has earned the right to stay. A few other guys who might be interesting to try if they're going to totally change it up; Kevin Weeks, Marty Biron, Sean Avery, Ron Greschner.

Just throwing names out there. Give Esa Tikkanen a shot too :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

:help:

I love Sean but that makes no sense.

Mr Atoz*

Kenny Albert is the best play by play announcer in hockey as his father was before him. Joe Micheletti was much better with the islanders because Howie Rose is better than Sam is now. JD ruined Sam as much as age has. I am incredibly sick of Joe Micheletti saying after every goal "You talk about .......!!!". No Joe, I wasn't talking about it and neither was anyone else.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i like michelletti as a color guy. sam's def going blind and ****s up more than he used to but i guess its to be expected as he ages.

Uncle Sid

Nov 30, 2007
New Jersey
I agree, I want Kenny and Dave for TV. Maloney is a homer, but he is also not afraid to call the team out when they are playing poorly. I also think its hilarious when he screams when the rangers score or gasps on an opposing teams scoring chance. Love it

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
I agree, I want Kenny and Dave for TV. Maloney is a homer, but he is also not afraid to call the team out when they are playing poorly. I also think its hilarious when he screams when the rangers score or gasps on an opposing teams scoring chance. Love it

Agreed. Radio team >>>> TV team. You get a much more realistic description about how the Rangers are playing from Maloney: he doesn't hold back. Unlike the TV team who sounds like they're afraid to be critical of the Rangers out of fear of losing their job. I mean, I guess if Dolan was my boss I would be too.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. Radio team >>>> TV team. You get a much more realistic description about how the Rangers are playing from Maloney: he doesn't hold back. Unlike the TV team who sounds like they're afraid to be critical of the Rangers out of fear of losing their job. I mean, I guess if Dolan was my boss I would be too.

Aren't Maloney and Albert employed by the MSG Radio Network? Pretty sure Dolan is their boss too and ESPN just pays for the right to broadcast their coverage. Of course, the TV guys are much higher profile. They've likely been instructed to not be overly critical of the organization, which only makes sense from a marketing standpoint (they're plenty critical of the team on the ice, as far as I'm concerned. If they were constantly negative, it'd make for awful TV, but they criticize here and there). The people who care enough to be annoyed at them not criticizing the org are the same people they never have to worry about losing.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Duguay doesn't seem to hold back in the studio. Not that I want him in the booth but it seems weird that a sugar-coating mandate would apply to Sam and Joe but no one else.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Micheletti isn't bad but I hate how he overrates every player. If you listen to him seriously you'd think every player has 10 Cups and is an all time great

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Micheletti seems to think his job is telling us how good everyone is. It's boring. Dave Maloney is much better.

NHRangerfan

Growing up Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick were the Rangers TV team for me...believe me all of you posting that Sam can have the job for the rest of his life you'll get used to whoever the new PBP guy is as long as he is good...Sam isn't enhancing my viewing experience anymore.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Hell no. F Kenny Albert. He blows. Sam is the voice of the NY Rangers. When he isn't announcing the game, I feel something is missing. Sam all the way, to hell with the haters...

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Growing up Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick were the Rangers TV team for me...believe me all of you posting that Sam can have the job for the rest of his life you'll get used to whoever the new PBP guy is as long as he is good...Sam isn't enhancing my viewing experience anymore.

Nope. I think once they give Sam's job to someone else all of these guys will just stop being Rangers fans. :D

Thanks for adding a rational element to the discussion. Time moves on, so do we. Sam was great, but he and Joe are just not as good as a Rangers/MSG broadcasting team could, and should be.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Hell no. F Kenny Albert. He blows. Sam is the voice of the NY Rangers. When he isn't announcing the game, I feel something is missing. Sam all the way, to hell with the haters...

Yeah Kenny is awful. He spends the majority of the broadcast calling the play. That's lame. I want to hear about colleges and how awesome the other team's players are all night.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I've been defending Sam and Joe here, but I thought last night they did an awful job when the calls went against the Rangers. I'm not here to argue the calls, and I basically agree we received the wrong end of a lot of 50/50 calls.

That said, the incessant whining from Sam and Joe made them sound like a couple of yahoo homers...something I would expect from Jack Edwards or some of the other home announcing teams around the league. I get that they disagreed with the calls, and they should say that. But they went into crybaby territory by constantly hammering away at it through the rest of the telecast, all the way through Al and Doogie singing off.

Questionable calls will go against you at times. It happens. Get over it. Over the course of an 82 game season, they all even out.

It's like the calls allowed Sam and Joe to not discuss the lack of depth on the Rangers, how/when/if they will figure out AV's system and begin executing it, power play failures, etc., things that have been losing games when there HAVEN'T been questionable calls.

I expect more from a New York announcing team.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Check out Colorado guy and jack in Boston. Then you come back and talk about what homers are

Yep, Jack Edwards is probably the worst, but there are more brutal homers out there. Sam and Joe are usually above that...until last night.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think Sam and Joe were reflecting pretty well the outrage that a lot of fans felt during last night's game. We've seen it plenty of times before and we saw it when JD was in the booth too. This one just happened to occur when there's a thread up about the broadcasters, so it sticks out. Yes, calls even out over time, but I do remember Joe being confused as to why the Habs were called for a penalty at one point too.

I actually thought Sam did a great job sticking to PBP last night instead of getting overly sucked into color.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad