Besides the poor play--what about poor announcing?

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Millenials vs. Sam Rosen= Me wanting to go to Home Depot and get a chainsaw.

do the math

Who is next? The janitors? Miller Lite kiosk attendant #873

He just isn't doing a good job anymore. It's taking away from the broadcast. I like his voice and he has great history here but why should we suffer through his frequent mistakes?

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Lol things are so bad in Ranger land, now we want the announcers fired !!
....if we lose the home opener, the popcorn guy is next !!

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
For the record there has been a Sam and Joe thread or discussion almost every season as of late and it has nothing to do with the team's play.

You can make whatever excuses you want but Sam's quality is in steep decline and all good things must come to an end. No one has a problem throwing players under the bus when they're too old to hack it anymore, but I guess Sam is okay even if he is drooling on himself and talking about his breakfast a week ago. Maybe when he dies they can just take him to a taxidermist and then install a voice simulator. The technology is there, why ever let Sam go? He can be the voice of the Rangers for all eternity.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
As long as he's not calling football

:laugh:

Sam Rosen. THE MAN. Give him a 15-year cap-circumventing retirement contract and let him call the game as long as he wants to. When the Rangers DO move on, I hope they give him a segment between periods called Rosen's Corner and let him prattle on in non-sensical malaprop heaven like the Mets do with Ralph Kiner. Bring him back into the booth now and then to tell timeless stories like how back in 1989 Leetch struggled due to holding his shaft too tight. LONG LIVE SAM ROSEN!

KreiMeARiver*

He just isn't doing a good job anymore. It's taking away from the broadcast. I like his voice and he has great history here but why should we suffer through his frequent mistakes?

Like it really matters at this point.

Sorry, Sam is all I've ever known since 1989 and I literally grew up with him. He can stay as long as he wants. I'll live with his mistakes.

Sam Rosen IS Rangers hockey, for me at least.

Thesensation19*

The Rangers announcers are usually bad IMO.

During game play they spend most of the time talking about the other team and misc. facts. Though its nice to bring it up here and there, they spend most times talking as if it was a personal conversation.

I like Canadian broadcasters who act like theyre on the radio. The ones who do an intense play by play announcing.

But thank you for the thread. i totally forgot to mention in my after Ranger game Rant that there was severla times MSG missed a few seconds of play and some good seconds... cuz of commercials. horrible

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ

Joe has made mistakes too like saying the Miller goal wasn't kicked in at first. Who cares though Sam is the voice of the New York Rangers.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Sam is the best. Hope he stays many more years.

Want a real treat? Try to listen to some of the other guys around the league....maybe then you would appreciate the guy.

I think Kenny Albert would be a great replacement but we don't have to cross that bridge yet.

As for the job done last night....that was two horrid teams out there racing each other to the bottom. So if a mistake or two was made...so what. It was a hard game to watch: I could imagine what it was like to announce.

Heard a snippet this week on XM NHL Radio of Sam and JD in the first seconds after the Rangers won the Cup in 94. Gave me the chills. Sam is Ranger hockey. I crave to hear his voice during the summer. I hear him in my dreams. It will be a sad day when he retires.

Hope it isn't for a long, long time.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
shills.

i dont dislike any of our guys, its just that they are muzzled and controlled.

sometimes when i listen, and i usually dont as im a no sound sports watcher ( comes from watching alot of golf on tv that does not require sound lol), i wonder if they are watching the same game.

as much as i wish they would just tell the truth, i realize they are paid employees and thus, they are mostly cheerleaders and shills for the company.

still its kinda silly.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Personally, I think ALL of the garden announcers and color guys ESPECIALLY Gianone and Troutwig are vastly overrated.

I really hate gianoone...with a passion

There's this air of arrogance from the Organization that I am not a big fan of.

Last edited:

jasonponty

Oct 24, 2008
I think it's time for Sam to move on as well but I'm going to put a lot of the blame on Joe Micheletti.

Micheletti, every night, repeats himself, makes mistakes and doesn't really add any insight into the game. Sam has fallen behind and it's getting worse and worse. I think of JD was still here, no one would feel this way but Sam doesn't have as much chemistry with Micheletti as we are use to.

A lot of mentions of Kenny Albert and Joe Giannone taking over for Sam when he does finally retire but I think everyone is forgetting about his most probable successor, Howie Rose.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Sam Rosen IS the voice of the New York Rangers. I will take him until he physically can't do it anymore. That will be a very sad day once he isn't announcing anymore.

Some of you here act as if the guy has Alzheimers or something. He isn't THAT bad. Sure, he is a little slower than he used to be, but cmon man...its not THAT bad.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Personally, I think ALL of the garden announcers and color guys ESPECIALLY Gianone and Troutwig are vastly overrated.

I really hate gianoone...with a passion

There's this air of arrogance from the Organization that I am not a big fan of.

How could Giannone possibly be overrated? I can't stand him, nobody else can either as far as I can tell. I would like to see Kenny Alberts and Dave Maloney do the games in the future.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Sam cares about the Rangers! He might make his share of mistakes but he announces with the Rangers fan inside him. He maybe can't bash the team for every bad game but he does a great job. So let's not push to get this guy out and maybe bring in some guy who could give two craps about the team.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rose and Maloney are my dream team, but unless Rose discovers the Fountain of Youth and Micheletti moves to NBC full-time it won't happen.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Rose and Maloney are my dream team, but unless Rose discovers the Fountain of Youth and Micheletti moves to NBC full-time it won't happen.

Agreed. Rose is fantastic and Maloney is hilarious.

The Islanders were really lucky when they had Rose/ Jaffe as their team. I enjoyed watching the Islanders broadcasts during that time.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Agreed. Rose is fantastic and Maloney is hilarious.

The Islanders were really lucky when they had Rose/ Jaffe as their team. I enjoyed watching the Islanders broadcasts during that time.

Tough gig doing Islanders games during that era, lol. Sam is slipping, but him and joe are still better than most; Sam's voice just makes me happy. CBC and the likes do a great job too.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers announcers are usually bad IMO.

During game play they spend most of the time talking about the other team and misc. facts. Though its nice to bring it up here and there, they spend most times talking as if it was a personal conversation.

I like Canadian broadcasters who act like theyre on the radio. The ones who do an intense play by play announcing.

But thank you for the thread. i totally forgot to mention in my after Ranger game Rant that there was severla times MSG missed a few seconds of play and some good seconds... cuz of commercials. horrible

My gut reaction, and I've been a fan for over 50 years, been in every province in Canada (I'm not Canadian), is that Canadian announcers should be better than anyone else.

But each and every time, out of hundreds and hundreds of times, I've listened to games on the radio broadcast from Canada or seen games called on TV on Canadian networks, I've come away disappointed. Don't know why it is...perhaps because my expectations are to high. The only exception I can think of when was, as a kid in the Bronx in the 50s and early 60s, and if atmospheric conditions were right, I could pick up Foster Hewitt doing Leafs games from Toronto and Danny Gallivan doing Canadian games out of Montreal on my radio. Those guys were the best. Today's crop of announcers from Canada just don't measure up to them or, I believe, the best of US born and bred announcers.

For some reason, it's not like soccer where I expect English announcers to be better than US announcers....and they are by far. Maybe it's because we've had hockey here in the states for so long and we've absorbed all that is good about the game and made it our own.

Sam is the best. Kenny Albert is very good and will be a great heir apparent. Giannone, though he is knowledgeable and his good insights, is terrible. Love Howie Rose because of his connection to the Mets and the Matteau call, but as this point I think of him as an Islander guy. Really don't want him. Have grown to really appreciate Micheletti.

But the poster above was right......criticism of announcers goes up (probably in all sports) as team performance and quality goes down.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Sam is losing it a bit but watching a Rangers game would not be the same without him. I've never been a big fan of Joe but I'm used to him now. He's at his best when he's honest instead of trying to sugarcoat things.

Giannone would be my worst nightmare. Not only does he lack the right voice for PBP, but I question his understanding of the game sometimes. Against St. Louis, a penalty was called, the Rangers maintained control of the puck and the whistle blew, and Gianonne thought the Rangers were about to go on a PP. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad