Confirmed with Link: Bergevin to Speak with media today

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I firmly believe Rads that he could get a 7 year contract at $7M-$7.5M given what guys signed for the year before and given Rads was about the only real good UFA forward this past year.

So given what I believe Rads was looking for, there was no way MB was going to sign him before July 1.

Have to say I don't have the details of MB pulling his offer and then putting back on when it was too late.

Will say that whatever was going on , MBs take it or leave it comments at the presser was pure ego bravado stupidity that was counterproductive in trying to sign the guy. Real bad negotiating approach and indefensible.

Too bad, we really could use Rads on this team right now.

Reactions: Pickles

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Well for one I think what MB said in the PC was bluster.
And two if the premise is that Radu really wanted to play here he would of taken the contract. That's what is being presented that Radu wanted to stay so badly in Montreal.
My premise is very simple, if Radu really wanted to stay here he could of signed the 32+Million dollar contract that MB offered him on July 1, the same money he got from Dallas. By going UFA he showed 2 things, either he wanted more money or he didn't like Montreal.
So if you want to keep blaming MB for not wanting Radu, to me the same is with Radu he showed as little interest in staying here to. I mean why else was he going to test UFA? Just for fun. He had a good thing here but chose to look elsewhere.
I blame the guy whose job it is to make the team better, but decides he'd rather sign reclamation projects and have 9M in capspace vs. signing good players. But for fun, let's say that the failure to get Radu signed was 50-50 shared blame between player and GM. No harm, no foul.

OK, so why didn't Mr. Smooth Operator GM then reallocate the money Radu was going to get to sign somebody who could have helped the roster. You have been on the record that Bergevin *knew* Radu wasn't coming back, hence the Drouin acquisition. Then why didn't he go out and sign another forward? You were also on the record that we were all Chicken Littles who would be proven wrong when Bergy used that cap space, that it would be failure if he started the year with that cap unspent. Well, here we are. No plan, no vision.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
$3.9M for 6 years from the age of 25-30 for a guy who can play anywhere in the middle 6 of any NHL team. Bad contract? I don't think so Rapala. It's what the doctor ordered and what we needed. Especially that we needed depth on RW.

Many People complained about Prust's 2.5 so they aren't going to accept Shawzie at 3.9. Too bad he couldn't emulate Brendan with a little better eye/hand coordination. That would warrant his pay grade IMO. :cool:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sorry, I don't believe in this narrative. I believe Bergevin tried to re-sign Radulov starting in February of this year and Radulov wanted to cash in on a max deal. Once Dallas offered Radulov what we offered him, he bolted. Less taxes, Warmer weather, more talent to play with... makes sense to me that Radulov Choose Dallas over Montreal. That salute wave in his last home game should give you a clue but please, don't let me stop you with your Bergevin bashing. Carry on... every move is a negative move even if it's positive because you want him fired.
Bergevin thought he had Radulov in his back pocket, and he was sadly mistaken...this /GM's poor moves, way out number his good moves...your loyalty to Bergevin is curious, as Bergevin once said, you want loyalty, get a dog...this guy is just a terrible rookie GM...sad state the |Habs are, because of him...

Reactions: Pickles

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Many People complained about Prust's 2.5 so they aren't going to accept Shawzie at 3.9. Too bad he couldn't emulate Brendan with a little better eye/hand coordination. That would warrant his pay grade IMO. :cool:

I didn't mind prust, he brought something we lacked and he was a fun guy. We signed Prust as a free agent, unlike Shaw who we overpaid to acquire and on his contract.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I blame the guy whose job it is to make the team better, but decides he'd rather sign reclamation projects and have 9M in capspace vs. signing good players. But for fun, let's say that the failure to get Radu signed was 50-50 shared blame between player and GM. No harm, no foul.

OK, so why didn't Mr. Smooth Operator GM then reallocate the money Radu was going to get to sign somebody who could have helped the roster. You have been on the record that Bergevin *knew* Radu wasn't coming back, hence the Drouin acquisition. Then why didn't he go out and sign another forward? You were also on the record that we were all Chicken Littles who would be proven wrong when Bergy used that cap space, that it would be failure if he started the year with that cap unspent. Well, here we are. No plan, no vision.

And I was on the record as saying if MB walks into the season with all that cap it would kill his summer (the Drouin sigining and Beau trade) and it did.

So all that you wrote can be true but doesn't mean MB is more to blame for Radu walking. Ya he didn't spend the extra cap and should of found a way to get another player with his cap, or even just give Markov his 6 Mill. MB can have screwed up in one area but not the other. MB screwed up this summer, but Radu is the one who chose to walk away from a great deal on the table on July 1. There wasn't a reason to go UFA but he did anyways.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Good point you bring up. Prust was overpaid at first but that’s what it took to acquire him. He was not overpaid after a few years but was not the same player after those shoulder injuries. I have no issues with Shaw at $3.9M for 6 years from age 25 to 30

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I honestly don't think he did.

That's why posters link Shaw and Alzner to Radulov.

MB wanted those two, he was willing to pay a premium to both of them (along with price), while he played hardball with Radulov giving him a take it or leave it deal with obviously no premium built in as it was easily matched by Dallas.

Radu goes where the money is. We could have kept him. MB wasn't fussy on keeping him, not sure why.
He offered Radulov 6.5m$ per for 5, exactly what he ended up with, how is this not offering premium if that's the best Radulov could do on the open market?

Bergevin offered premium to Drouin, Gallagher and Paccioretty, why are we only mentioning two contracts that people don't like?

Maybe because it doesn't fit the let's make it look as bad as possible agenda?

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin thought he had Radulov in his back pocket, and he was sadly mistaken...this /GM's poor moves, way out number his good moves...your loyalty to Bergevin is curious, as Bergevin once said, you want loyalty, get a dog...this guy is just a terrible rookie GM...sad state the |Habs are, because of him...

More narrative I don’t support. Sorry, we tried but Radulov didn’t want to re sign with us. We need to accept that. Markov was a different story though

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And WHY would Radu even consider getting back to MB about the deal Dallas offered?
Give me one reason he would consider doing such?
Because last I recall, MB gave a very PUBLIC ultimatum to both Radu and Markov that the Habs have given them there one and only deal and they had better take it or leave it. NO NEGOTIATIONS.
From Radu's view, there was nothing to negotiate because MB had left no room for negotiations. Either take MB's offer or leave it.
Radu had absolutely no reason to bother calling MB up because he KNEW there was no offer left from the Habs (yes, he was mistaken but that's on MB).

Radu didn't agree to the 6.5m$ the first time, why would he accept it on the second try. Radu tried to hose the HABS and Bergevin wanted nothing with that, and apparently, no other team either since he didn't get a penny more than what Bergevin offered.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
And that Radulov story about how he allegedly bolted to Dallas and how it was all his doing, is back too.

THIS, Radulov and Markov were MB's worst moves trust me... He has no clue how to deal with the Russians...

Drouin-Chucky-Radu
Patch-Danault-Lehky

Now that looks like a sexy top 6

Mete-Weber
Markov-Petry

Much sexier top 4

Radulov + Markov solves everything and makes us a contender.. Bergevin to arrogant and stubborn to "refspek" the Russians.. Believe me.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He offered Radulov 6.5m$ per for 5, exactly what he ended up with, how is this not offering premium if that's the best Radulov could do on the open market?

Bergevin offered premium to Drouin, Gallagher and Paccioretty, why are we only mentioning two contracts that people don't like?

Maybe because it doesn't fit the let's make it look as bad as possible agenda?
I don't have an agenda other than saying that letting Markov and Radulov walk while signing Price to a ridiculous contract were huge mistakes this summer.

Bergevin let Radulov go. No two ways about it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
And I was on the record as saying if MB walks into the season with all that cap it would kill his summer (the Drouin sigining and Beau trade) and it did.

So all that you wrote can be true but doesn't mean MB is more to blame for Radu walking. Ya he didn't spend the extra cap and should of found a way to get another player with his cap, or even just give Markov his 6 Mill. MB can have screwed up in one area but not the other. MB screwed up this summer, but Radu is the one who chose to walk away from a great deal on the table on July 1. There wasn't a reason to go UFA but he did anyways.

Radulov walked away for a better deal in Dallas. If our offer was so great, why did Dallas offer more in terms of money after taxes and a better situation as far as line mates and a competive team? We didn’t offer no great deal. We matched Dallas’s offer after a month of low balling and a team came along and offered something better.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I don't have an agenda other than saying that letting Markov and Radulov walk while signing Price to a ridiculous contract were huge mistakes this summer.

Bergevin let Radulov go. No two ways about it.

Markov was getting old af.

Agree on Radulov , he should of been signed in a heart beat.

Agree on Price, he should of received a simple contract extension of 3-5 years and let him refuse it. Then trade him for a 2 1st picks and a bag of pucks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Radulov walked away for a better deal in Dallas. If our offer was so great, why did Dallas offer more in terms of money after taxes and a better situation as far as line mates and a competive team? We didn’t offer no great deal. We matched Dallas’s offer after a month of low balling and a team came along and offered something better.

Did Radulov ever say Bergevin was incorrect when he said the Habs offered Radulov the same contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia