Confirmed with Link: Bergevin to Speak with media today

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
A lot of players show fans gratitude on the last game of the season. One would have to connect a lot of dots that don't exist so as to attempt to create a link between the outcome of a contract extension that didn't happen and a gesture allegedly having taken place that day that jives with the type of behavior that is perfectly normal on the last day of a season.

"Hey look, Radulov saluted me!! He's not signing an extension with us, I'm calling it!!!!!"

I feel that Radulov loved playing in Montreal and would have signed had Bergevin presented another, slightly higher ($6.5 - $6.75) offer and done so with professionalism and class rather than bile and ultimatum.

I mean really, an NHL GM acts in public like a petulant child and 2 free agents walk. And half the posters here think that's appropriate and don't bat an eye. I'm gobsmacked.

If I was in Molson's position I would have seriously considered firing him over that, but I still have my testes.

Bergevin has become a menace to this franchise.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I feel that Radulov loved playing in Montreal and would have signed had Bergevin presented another, slightly higher ($6.5 - $6.75) offer and done so with professionalism and class rather than bile and ultimatum.

I mean really, an NHL GM acts in public like a petulant child and 2 free agents walk. And half the posters here think that's appropriate and don't bat an eye. I'm gobsmacked.

If I was in Molson's position I would have seriously considered firing him over that, but I still have my testes.

If there wasn't enough ammo to have Bergevin's actions subject to review then this past summer provided all that is needed. There is no way this management group should be trusted with major trades and player moves going forward. That the owner is oblivious to this, speaks volumes.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If there wasn't enough ammo to have Bergevin's actions subject to review then this past summer provided all that is needed. There is no way this management group should be trusted with major trades and player moves going forward. That the owner is oblivious to this, speaks volumes.

How do we convince Molson this tho? Thats the problem.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I never said that at all. But reality is, beggars can’t be choosers. We couldn’t afford to lose an offensive player like Radulov over a million considering how offensively strapped we are. And do i think he would’ve taken the offer, I do. But I’m not Radulov, so I can’t so for sure obviously. We would’ve had to pay more then Dallas, but that’s unfortunately the only option we had. If we didn’t have the cap space, that would’ve changed my opinion on it but since we wasted just about $5 million on Alzner, still let Markov walk, I don’t find this acceptable.

We're not that offensively strapped. The defence was badly mishandled, however. And we have too much free cap space.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We're not that offensively strapped. The defence was badly mishandled, however. And we have too much free cap space.

We’re pretty offensively strapped. Don’t let three games fool you. They did this last year as well. Pavelic and Reimer are sieves. We played a heck of a game against Ottawa but the goals will come hard again. That’s when this roster will be tested and they always fail. But boy would I like them to prove me wrong.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We’re pretty offensively strapped. Don’t let three games fool you. They did this last year as well. Pavelic and Reimer are sieves. We played a heck of a game against Ottawa but the goals will come hard again. That’s when this roster will be tested and they always fail. But boy would I like them to prove me wrong.

The number of shots generated is well above league average, and the number of good scoring chances is above league average. Improve the defence a bit, and the offence will do even better.

Reactions: get25

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Radulov walked away for a better deal in Dallas. If our offer was so great, why did Dallas offer more in terms of money after taxes and a better situation as far as line mates and a competive team? We didn’t offer no great deal. We matched Dallas’s offer after a month of low balling and a team came along and offered something better.
After a month of low balling??....:laugh:

What were exactly these low ball offers?......you don't know don't you.

I love when posters make shit up, it makes their arguments so much more compelling......

What we do know is the HABS had made the 6.5m$x5......Radu said know no and that's it, Bergevin, like Nill, went as high as they could, in the end, it's Radu's call and he chose Dallas, move on man!

Reactions: scrubadam

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
in way over his head.....lol

claims based on emotions and ones hate for the GM.......says one thing and does the other....like every other GM in the history of the game.

I'd really like to hear your criteria for a perfect GM, the choirboy traits he must possess and the Saint like persona he must portray.

GMs lie, break promises, have bad trades, sign the wrong players, pay too much and will have losing seasons.......this is the NORM!

Want to know my criteria for a GM when the team has playoff and cup aspirations in mind?

- Someone who can put together a solid team not wholly dependent on an all-star goalie
- Not hire one of the worst coaches available
- Not allow said coach to dick around our young players so Desharnais and Prust can get more ice time
- Actually acquire and keep the scorers we desperately need
- Address our equally desperate need for a center within five years
- Not enter the season with 8M in available cap space when at least Markov was willing to stay
- Not trade away our second best defenseman for an older, debatably better alternative on a far worse contract

Bergevin will soon be going into his sixth year with us yet we still have the same issues we did when he first arrived. Except now everyone is five years older with fatter contracts. His five year plan failed miserably. But sure, let's give him another five years. I'm certain he'll have figured it out by then.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
in way over his head.....lol

claims based on emotions and ones hate for the GM.......says one thing and does the other....like every other GM in the history of the game.

I'd really like to hear your criteria for a perfect GM, the choirboy traits he must possess and the Saint like persona he must portray.

GMs lie, break promises, have bad trades, sign the wrong players, pay too much and will have losing seasons.......this is the NORM!

Team has won a grand total of one play off round in the last 3 years.........nothing "norm" about that.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If I recall, we made an initial "take it or leave it" offer and Dallas came up ahead, then we matched them. Regardless, it was an incredibly dumb decision to not open the purse strings with Radulov. Our primary needs are scoring. What did we let walk away? Our best goal scorer. If we have to come up a bit from 6.5M, you do it.

Cap space man. Cap space.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Exactly.

"Bergevin has become a menace to this franchise".

No wonder I cant stand the guy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
More narrative I don’t support. Sorry, we tried but Radulov didn’t want to re sign with us. We need to accept that. Markov was a different story though
Yes, Markov is another sad story...you get the trend that is happening on an ongoing basis, MB's decision making is of a rookie GM six yrs later, still in over his head. No plan, no vision, but yes, cap space he also didn't plan on having...the guy is terrible.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Just to add, PRIOR to free agency, Bergevin had some comments that kinda makes you wonder why he just doesn't stay quiet...

I mean, this is true, but seriously, just keep this sort of thing to yourself man. You can't just diminish his value, saying how you're great without him and end it by comparing him against a generational player. I mean, c'mon, at least use something from the management 101 handbook, like a compliment sandwich:

"Alex is a supremely talented player, but he is no Crosby, however he is invaluable to our team."

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Just to add, PRIOR to free agency, Bergevin had some comments that kinda makes you wonder why he just doesn't stay quiet...

I mean, this is true, but seriously, just keep this sort of thing to yourself man. You can't just diminish his value, saying how you're great without him and end it by comparing him against a generational player. I mean, c'mon, at least use something from the management 101 handbook, like a compliment sandwich:

"Alex is a supremely talented player, but he is no Crosby, however he is invaluable to our team."

To put in context, at that time Radulov wanted a 8 years deal.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There were rumors all summer about how the Habs did not like Radulov that much. Supposedly he was an uncoachable player who did his own thing.

Now Radulov is doing well, the Stars are doing well in a tough division, and the Habs are in the basement.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
To put in context, at that time Radulov wanted a 8 years deal.

I get that, but my post was more about treading around these topics. I am not going to compare my responsibilities with Bergevin, as I acknowledge his job management-wise is much harder than mine, but I manage a small team and I have to be VERY careful when discussing staff in public (other peers in my case) and management. Sure, I get frustrated with people all the time, but I have to be aware I can't throw anyone under the bus any time within my operating environment as it can come back to me.

Anyhow, I never felt a ridiculous $7m x 8 for Alex was worthwhile, but that wasn't my point. Just saying, if there was any true intention of keeping players, you have to tip-toe at times. Players have massive egos and you have a roster of 18-22 alpha males. I think it's dumb to have to cater to that since we're talking about grown-a$$ men, but I also get this is the reality. In the end, Alex may have still walked of course, but as a manager, you want to make sure you just don't make it harder on yourself.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Tampa Bay is developing Sergachev in the same way that the Habs developed Desharnais: by putting him in a position to succeed. I'm so jealous.

I'm not so bothered by the trade as I am by the fact that Sergachev might have busted had he remained in Montreal, whereas he's competing for the Calder and Norris in Tampa Bay. The Habs just don't know how to develop young players.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
A lot of players show fans gratitude on the last game of the season. One would have to connect a lot of dots that don't exist so as to attempt to create a link between the outcome of a contract extension that didn't happen and a gesture allegedly having taken place that day that jives with the type of behavior that is perfectly normal on the last day of a season.

"Hey look, Radulov saluted me!! He's not signing an extension with us, I'm calling it!!!!!"

I guess everytime that the habs raise their sticks at the crowd it is radulov secretly directing them to tell the crowd to go @?#* themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad