Confirmed with Link: Bergevin to Speak with media today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah no -- Teuvo Terevainen is a younger and superior player and was traded for less.

The justification brigade just won't see it.
They will use every out to bolster their man.
Anyone who watched last night had to be asking themselves how much better should we have been this year?
Not that Ottawa put up much of a fight but in terms of team depth.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin started with a lot of picks when he took over the job. I would love to agree with you here, but our prospect pool is not that great and let's be honest we have no idea how most players will turn out. Until I see changes in the development of players, I can't really agree.
McCaron and Sherback are not impressive 1st round picks, and be honest don't tell us they need "more time"

I do hope your right for the last 2 drafts

It's about stock piling prospects and that is what we are doing.

2012: Galchenyuk and Hudon. Rest were busts. Not a good or bad draft IMO

2013: Lehkonen, DLR, McCarron. We have to wait to see what DLR and McCarron do for this season and next. At that point we will know. McCarron seems to be gaining slightly more confidence under Julien. The issue is he is a long term project and this was the case when he was drafted.

2014: Scherbak, Lernout, Evans. It's to early to tell but Scherbak looks very good if he can stay healthy and go check out Evans stats. He's got 15pts in 8 games and leading the NCAA in scoring at the moment. Lernout is a bottom paring D man at best.

2015: Juulsen, Vejdemo, Bourque, Addison. Way to early to tell but at the very least, Juulsen will be an NHL defenseman IMO. Vejdemo is having a solid season this year so far after a disappointing one last year. Bouqure may never make it. Addison is a player I am watching but his injury will offset his development.

2016: Sergachev (Drouin), Bitten, Mete. A very good draft already. We have to wait on Bitten

2017: Poehling, Brook, Ikonen and more. Poehling has taken a huge step forward this year so far. This is way to early to tell but it looks like a very good draft

2018:
- 1st (10-20 range)
- 2nd (40-50 range)
- 2nd from the Blackhawks (45-55 range)
- 2nd from the Caps if Sergachev plays 40 games (45-55 range)
- 3rd (70-80 range)

I'm talking about probability and not hope. If you look at the last two years (Lehkonen, Mete, Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron, DLR), our prospects are starting to crack our line-up and I expect more. Our prospects have sucked for so long that people have lost hope and were blinded by a bad 4 year span from 2008-2011. Time will change this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The justification brigade just won't see it.
They will use every out to bolster their man.
Anyone who watched last night had to be asking themselves how much better should we have been this year?
Not that Ottawa put up much of a fight but in terms of team depth.

BS! Shaw has been solid for us this year. He was a good addition to the middle 6 of our line-up and we needed help on RW. Google reality

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
BS right back at you...
Shaw is one of the worst contracts handed out by a Guy who hands out many Bad ones...

He has single handedly moves us into 27th!

$3.9M for 6 years from the age of 25-30 for a guy who can play anywhere in the middle 6 of any NHL team. Bad contract? I don't think so Rapala. It's what the doctor ordered and what we needed. Especially that we needed depth on RW.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Shawful is so (in)valuable to this team that in an 8-3 rout of the Sens he was the ONLY player with a -1. Google delusional.

plus/minus is a stat that should always be ignored. Even when its useful, there are other stats that are significantly more illuminating.

If your going to use stats to criticize Shaw's performance in the game, point to his negligible ixGF in the game, or his game-worst relxGF%.

+/- punishes and rewards players unfairly for not only who was on the ice with them, but what role they're asked to play.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Karlsson was -6? Does that mean he is worse than Shaw? Google larger sample size

Is this a joke? I'd be more forgiving of a player for a bad game that has 10 points in 7 games, is a career PPG and proven to be one of the best players at his position in the world. Larger sample size for Shaw says he still sucks. Your boy Bergie got fleeced on that trade. Google Deal with it.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
$3.9M for 6 years from the age of 25-30 for a guy who can play anywhere in the middle 6 of any NHL team. Bad contract? I don't think so Rapala. It's what the doctor ordered and what we needed. Especially that we needed depth on RW.

I'll give you a hint, if you sound like Shaw's agent when describing the contract it's probably not a good thing.

I don't think you can make an argument that he is undervalued when we are paying him top 6 forward money for a guy that will be lucky to crack the 35 point mark. Especially with the term you'd expect less money.

I don't think he is bad enough to deserve to be hated on, in terms of his play. Certainly can't call him a floater but it's just akward when teams don't usually commit term to these type of players. Since this tyle of role is easily filled by a rookie on an ELC or a lesser paid player that can offer similar production.

In regards to negatives, besides not being much of a point producer, he has the bad habit of taking dumb penalties and that's never a good thing.

Our GM offers long term deals to the Alzner/Shaw type but isn't as aggresive to get players like Radulov. I just think that factors into why we don't call him Shawesome.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll give you a hint, if you sound like Shaw's agent when describing the contract it's probably not a good thing.

I don't think you can make an argument that he is undervalued when we are paying him top 6 forward money for a guy that will be lucky to crack the 35 point mark. Especially with the term you'd expect less money.

I don't think he is bad enough to deserve to be hated on, in terms of his play. Certainly can't call him a floater but it's just akward when teams usually don't commit term to these type of players. Since this tyle of role is easily filled with a rookie on an ELC or a lesser paid player that can offer similar production.

In regards to negatives, besides not being much of a point producer, he has the bad habit of taking dumb penalties and that's never a good thing.

Our GM offers long term deals to the Alzner/Shaw type but isn't as aggresive to get players like Radulov. I just think that factors into why we don't call him Shawesome.

Shaw at $3.9M AAV, Alzner at $4.625M, and Radulov at $7M+ to make him stay. Our GM wanted Radulov back but Radulov choose Dallas. Open your eyes.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Shaw at $3.9M AAV, Alzner at $4.625M, and Radulov at $7M+ to make him stay. Our GM wanted Radulov back but Radulov choose Dallas. Open your eyes.

It's called managing priorities he messed around with signing Radulov when he had all year to do it. He played fast and loose which was his downfall. He could of ensured Dallas was never an option by signing him before July 1st and not protecting the great Jordie Benn.

Instead he prioritized offering top dollar to Alzner, while knowing that there was a 90% chance that when a player reaches UFA he will sign with a new team. Especially when he was so dumb to play games by puting offers on/off the table.

There is always an excuse to absolve our GM for taking any ownership for the situations that he created. He had to trade Subban, he got character. He had to overpay for Alzner. He had to give Shaw a core player contract because he rode the cote tails of Toews/Kane/Hossa and company. Obviously he had to overpay Price, more money than other goalies with better stats and accomplishments. Markov played for 18 years and all of a sudden it's too rich for our blood? Dallas signs Radu and Seguin is giddy but somehow the offensively deprived Habs can afford to overspend?

I'm getting tired of the circus and those justifying this behaviour at every turn. I am all for celebrating our successes but I can't ignore the awful start this season and the downward spirals from the previous two seasons.

At some point when there are consistent issues with the team, you have to question the person that built the team. The fish stinks from the head afterall.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Open your eyes, the impact that Radulov has on this team versus Shaw and Alzner combined isn't even close.

Radulov has a positive impact and was the only offensive player to show up vs. the Rangers
Shawful and Alzner are atrocious, you have to stretch to find anything positive about their game, and together they cost the price of a legitimate elite player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Open your eyes, the impact that Radulov has on this team versus Shaw and Alzner combined isn't even close.

Radulov has a positive impact and was the only offensive player to show up vs. the Rangers
Shawful and Alzner are atrocious, you have to stretch to find anything positive about their game, and together they cost the price of a legitimate elite player.

You have to let Radulov go. He didn't want to re-sign with us.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
People defending Shawzie , his stats, and that contract
\
j696Ek6.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He did want to resign with us.............Bergevin made sure he didn't...a brutal piece of negotiating by the GQGM...

Sorry, I don't believe in this narrative. I believe Bergevin tried to re-sign Radulov starting in February of this year and Radulov wanted to cash in on a max deal. Once Dallas offered Radulov what we offered him, he bolted. Less taxes, Warmer weather, more talent to play with... makes sense to me that Radulov Choose Dallas over Montreal. That salute wave in his last home game should give you a clue but please, don't let me stop you with your Bergevin bashing. Carry on... every move is a negative move even if it's positive because you want him fired.

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Shawful is so (in)valuable to this team that in an 8-3 rout of the Sens he was the ONLY player with a -1. Google delusional.

Can we please put Shaw on the 4th, Byron with Pacioretty and Danault, and Glachenyuk with Drouin and Lehkonen.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Sorry, I don't believe in this narrative. I believe Bergevin tried to re-sign Radulov starting in February of this year and Radulov wanted to cash in on a max deal. Once Dallas offered Radulov what we offered him, he bolted. Less taxes, Warmer weather, more talent to play with... makes sense to me that Radulov Choose Dallas over Montreal. That salute wave in his last home game should give you a clue but please, don't let me stop you with your Bergevin bashing. Carry on... every move is a negative move even if it's positive because you want him fired.

That's fine if you don't believe that "narrative". Just stop peddling your "narrative" as fact, when it is, at best, just as flimsy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's fine if you don't believe that "narrative". Just stop peddling your "narrative" as fact, when it is, at best, just as flimsy.

Another attack post by you. Give it up eh. I am entitled an opinion just like you are and I have not insisted what I believe is fact. I have provided evidence to support my opinion and this is all I can do.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Another attack post by you. Give it up eh. I am entitled an opinion just like you are and I have not insisted what I believe is fact. I have provided evidence to support my opinion and this is all I can do.

You have to let Radulov go. He didn't want to re-sign with us.

How is anyone supposed to interpret that other than factual?

I've critiqued your posts using facts. Its fine if you don't believe them. But there's a definite "pot calling the kettle black" scenario with accusations of "attack posts".

"Open Your Eyes" and what not.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How is anyone supposed to interpret that other than factual?

I've critiqued your posts using facts. Its fine if you don't believe them. But there's a definite "pot calling the kettle black" scenario with accusations of "attack posts".

"Open Your Eyes" and what not.

You are focused on me instead of the debate and there is plenty of evidence to support it. I'm not going to allow it for too much longer. Hope you understand that we all should be focused on your opinions and the evidence you provide instead of attacking another poster time and time again with no substance. This is not what this site is about.

We typically don't see things the same way and that is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad