Confirmed with Link: Bergevin to Speak with media today

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Why trying to connect Shaw to Radu?

Shaw was acquired and signed before Radu so there is no relation between the two. Same with Alzner.

And MB didn't prioritize either before Radu he had been in negotiations with Radu since last winter months before Alzner was signed and months before UFA day.

Shaw isn't that bad but he could be better. His $$$ is not top 6 money, NHL today 3.9 is not top 6. Term is a bit long and right now I would say Shaw is not brining his contract value with 4 points in 12 games hopefully he can play better. But neither him nor Alzner have anything to do with Radu being a Star. Radu chose to go to Dallas over the habs.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And until they lose their job, they keep it. Period. Yesterday wasn't progression I guess.

lol So 10 games was too short to have an opinion, but 1 game is more than enough to see progression. So...based on that...how did you see the first 10 games....terrible regression???

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
lol So 10 games was too short to have an opinion, but 1 game is more than enough to see progression. So...based on that...how did you see the first 10 games....terrible regression???

What are you talking about? We all have opinions constantly. 2 games won in a row, with progression in the standings.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Our GM wanted Radulov back but Radulov choose Dallas. Open your eyes.
I honestly don't think he did.

That's why posters link Shaw and Alzner to Radulov.

MB wanted those two, he was willing to pay a premium to both of them (along with price), while he played hardball with Radulov giving him a take it or leave it deal with obviously no premium built in as it was easily matched by Dallas.

Radu goes where the money is. We could have kept him. MB wasn't fussy on keeping him, not sure why.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What are you talking about? We all have opinions constantly. 2 games won in a row, with progression in the standings.

Here's what I replied to....

GMs lie, break promises, have bad trades, sign the wrong players, pay too much and will have losing seasons.......this is the NORM!

So CLEARLY my reply was just as general as Jaffy27 comment was. So it has Nothing to do with yesterday's game.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How would it have been easy or done before July 1? Radu was set on testing UFA even after getting 6.25x5 from MB on July 1.

IMO even if MB offered Radu 7 AAV he probably would of tested UFA to see what he could get the guy wanted to go UFA it was his one chance.

UFA's have the choice to test the market and there is nothing a GM can do to stop them. It was Radu's decision even with his 1 week window to see whats out there and gather info he still wanted to test the waters.

Might as well pile on for not getting Shatenkirk, Bonino, Marleau, Thorton, Hanzel and every other UFA out there as well. I am sure if we would of thrown Bonion 6 Mill or Marleau 10 Mill they would of signed here too.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How would it have been easy or done before July 1? Radu was set on testing UFA even after getting 6.25x5 from MB on July 1.

IMO even if MB offered Radu 7 AAV he probably would of tested UFA to see what he could get the guy wanted to go UFA it was his one chance.

UFA's have the choice to test the market and there is nothing a GM can do to stop them. It was Radu's decision even with his 1 week window to see whats out there and gather info he still wanted to test the waters.

Might as well pile on for not getting Shatenkirk, Bonino, Marleau, Thorton, Hanzel and every other UFA out there as well. I am sure if we would of thrown Bonion 6 Mill or Marleau 10 Mill they would of signed here too.
I would have had no problem with Radu @ 7.25 or even 7.5 for 5 years. If our GM really wanted him it would have been communicated to Radu, before he tested the market. I was shocked when he signed for essentially fair market value in Dallas. We could have, and should have beat that easily. And what were the rumours - that MB offered same $ but one less year? Why? Why be so cap savvy with Radu then sign CP to that asinine contract?

Out of all those UFA's you listed - we had the first crack at the most valuable one - and lost him for no good reason.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I would have had no problem with Radu @ 7.25 or even 7.5 for 5 years. If our GM really wanted him it would have been communicated to Radu, before he tested the market. I was shocked when he signed for essentially fair market value in Dallas. We could have, and should have beat that easily. And what were the rumours - that MB offered same $ but one less year? Why? Why be so cap savvy with Radu then sign CP to that asinine contract?

Out of all those UFA's you listed - we had the first crack at the most valuable one - and lost him for no good reason.

as far as rumors, each side will take their narrative. I tend to believe what was tweeted saying 6.25x5 was there on July 1. There are tweets to back it up, as there are tweets contradicting.

7.25/7.5 I don't know that's a lot of coin for Radu. But hey if that's your position I respect that you would of broken the bank for him, for me I don't know if I would of made Radu that highly paid.

As far as losing him for no good reason, we lost him because he chose a different city. Just as much as MB is blamed for not wanting Radu enough, well Radu didn't want Montreal enough either. 6.25x5 is a very rich deal to go along with the millions Radu earned in Russia. He isn't hurting for cash and that salary would make him respectably paid in the NHL.

So bash away at MB because you perceive he didn't too enough to court Radu and that makes it seem like he didn't want him, but vice versa is true too because Radu walked away from the team at the first offer he got, never gave MB a chance to beat it regardless of MB's words at a presser, and then when MB came back to him he said sorry I gave my word see you later. At least be honest and say Radu showed just as little commitment to coming back here as you perceive MB had in retaining him.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yes, and the problem was that MB took that deal OFF the table July 1. If he had left the deal on the table, there was a good chance that Radu would have stayed.

nope because Radu committed to Dallas without even having his agent go to MB.

Bottom line like I said in my post below as little as you perceive MB wanted/made an effort to keep Radu here, he showed the same in wanting to stay here.

Not to repeat but Radu walked away from a nice offer to test UFA, one that would of made him rich to go along with the money he already had and that paid him respectably. He didn't give the team a chance to match or beat Dallas he just committed to them (not signed committed).

So to me Radu didn't show much of wanting to be here. Rather he showed he couldn't wait to test UFA. That's why I believe even if he was offer 7 Mill or no deals were pulled he would went UFA anyways.

And the whole pulling the deal thing makes no sense when at the presser MB said Radu could come back to the team. So its pulled, its not pulled, the next day he is calling Radu's agent. To me just bluster to the media by MB.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
as far as rumors, each side will take their narrative. I tend to believe what was tweeted saying 6.25x5 was there on July 1. There are tweets to back it up, as there are tweets contradicting.

7.25/7.5 I don't know that's a lot of coin for Radu. But hey if that's your position I respect that you would of broken the bank for him, for me I don't know if I would of made Radu that highly paid.

As far as losing him for no good reason, we lost him because he chose a different city. Just as much as MB is blamed for not wanting Radu enough, well Radu didn't want Montreal enough either. 6.25x5 is a very rich deal to go along with the millions Radu earned in Russia. He isn't hurting for cash and that salary would make him respectably paid in the NHL.

So bash away at MB because you perceive he didn't too enough to court Radu and that makes it seem like he didn't want him, but vice versa is true too because Radu walked away from the team at the first offer he got, never gave MB a chance to beat it regardless of MB's words at a presser, and then when MB came back to him he said sorry I gave my word see you later. At least be honest and say Radu showed just as little commitment to coming back here as you perceive MB had in retaining him.
If what you say is true - that neither side tried all that hard to make it work, then the blame still lies with MB as it's his responsibility to make the team better. Radulov would have stayed here if the pot was sweet enough.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If what you say is true - that neither side tried all that hard to make it work, then the blame still lies with MB as it's his responsibility to make the team better. Radulov would have stayed here if the pot was sweet enough.

Guess it comes down to how much honey Radu wanted and why was MTL's honey not sweet enough compared to Dallas's?

Both offered him the same $$$ and term but Dallas money is worth more than Montreal money.

So are we talking 7 Million? 8 Million? 8 years?

Would love for Radu to have taken the contract MB gave him so he was still a hab but he wanted that Dallas gold. Maybe he is a big Cowboys fan :).

In the end he is a human being with his own brain and he made his own deicision. Sometimes throwing money at something doesn't solve the problem. Plenty of money was thrown at Radu, if it wasn't enough then MB drew the wrong line in the sand but he had to draw that line somewhere and all the other GM's in the NHL drew the same line.

Anyways Radu is gone complaining about it won't change what happened. Two sides won't ever agree. To me he left a good thing. To you MB didn't do enough. Leave it at that because we wont reconcile.

More important for the habs to turn it around. If not MB is a dark cloud over this team and a team can't be successful with a dark cloud hanging over it. 3 wins out of 4 is nice but the team can easily lose its next 5 and be in the same place they were a week ago.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
nope because Radu committed to Dallas without even having his agent go to MB.

Bottom line like I said in my post below as little as you perceive MB wanted/made an effort to keep Radu here, he showed the same in wanting to stay here.

Not to repeat but Radu walked away from a nice offer to test UFA, one that would of made him rich to go along with the money he already had and that paid him respectably. He didn't give the team a chance to match or beat Dallas he just committed to them (not signed committed).

And WHY would Radu even consider getting back to MB about the deal Dallas offered?
Give me one reason he would consider doing such?
Because last I recall, MB gave a very PUBLIC ultimatum to both Radu and Markov that the Habs have given them there one and only deal and they had better take it or leave it. NO NEGOTIATIONS.
From Radu's view, there was nothing to negotiate because MB had left no room for negotiations. Either take MB's offer or leave it.
Radu had absolutely no reason to bother calling MB up because he KNEW there was no offer left from the Habs (yes, he was mistaken but that's on MB).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

One side pulled their offer and in the vacuum that was created, Dallas swooped in and signed the player. It's on Bergevin.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
With Radulov and Markov right now we would be top 10 in the LEAGUE trust me... Bergevin has no clue how to handle the Russians.. I do... Believe me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I honestly don't think he did.

That's why posters link Shaw and Alzner to Radulov.

MB wanted those two, he was willing to pay a premium to both of them (along with price), while he played hardball with Radulov giving him a take it or leave it deal with obviously no premium built in as it was easily matched by Dallas.

Radu goes where the money is. We could have kept him. MB wasn't fussy on keeping him, not sure why.

Do you or do you not agree that Radulov accepted a deal that the Habs offered him? Bergevin was 100% correct with trying to find a deal that was right for the team. In the end, we could not compete with the city of Dallas and the players Radulov would play with on that team. Failed negotiations for sure but too many are too quick to pin it on Bergevin IMO. I don't beleive he is an idiot like some are insisting he is.

Shaw and Alzner are depth moves at contracts that are slightly overpaid today but will not be at the end of their contracts. I don't see how this relates to Radulov as he likely was not coming back. That salute wave in his last game was real people

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And WHY would Radu even consider getting back to MB about the deal Dallas offered?
Give me one reason he would consider doing such?
Because last I recall, MB gave a very PUBLIC ultimatum to both Radu and Markov that the Habs have given them there one and only deal and they had better take it or leave it. NO NEGOTIATIONS.
From Radu's view, there was nothing to negotiate because MB had left no room for negotiations. Either take MB's offer or leave it.
Radu had absolutely no reason to bother calling MB up because he KNEW there was no offer left from the Habs (yes, he was mistaken but that's on MB).

Well for one I think what MB said in the PC was bluster.
And two if the premise is that Radu really wanted to play here he would of taken the contract. That's what is being presented that Radu wanted to stay so badly in Montreal.
My premise is very simple, if Radu really wanted to stay here he could of signed the 32+Million dollar contract that MB offered him on July 1, the same money he got from Dallas. By going UFA he showed 2 things, either he wanted more money or he didn't like Montreal.
So if you want to keep blaming MB for not wanting Radu, to me the same is with Radu he showed as little interest in staying here to. I mean why else was he going to test UFA? Just for fun. He had a good thing here but chose to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad