Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Imagine though, if Soshnikiov - Bozak - Nylander made for a solid line for the blues though :laugh:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't know man. Those salty Blues fans act like they need to keep their team together at all costs. It's like they absolutely ignored their crappy 17-18 season. Who's going to play goalie for them? They had trouble scoring last year. Did they make the playoffs? Does Bozak and ROR make you that much better? I think many of them are being naive.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Blues were a top 5 team in goals against and expected goals against. As was Dallas. i'm fine with keeping our swiss cheese D rather than trying to emulate that

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't know man. Those salty Blues fans act like they need to keep their team together at all costs. It's like they absolutely ignored their crappy 17-18 season. Who's going to play goalie for them? They had trouble scoring last year. Did they make the playoffs? Does Bozak and ROR make you that much better? I think many of them are being naive.

ROR is a big upgrade for them, but I think they are expecting too much from Bozak. That was a big overpayment and there's no way he lives up to 5M. He took a big step back last year and they have him for three seasons. Unfortunately (because he's a good guy) I think he'll have a rough go there.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Source aside - Parayko is indeed a great player, but it’s not wrong to suggest Nylander’s on ice impact will likely be greater next season than him, so that’s an easy “no” for me.

Now if the Blues would be open to a package deal (and admittedly that’s unlikely that hey would be) based around younger guys and futures Dubas should consider it.

I disagree. With the centers we have in place they will all make their wingers better, and we don't need super talent on the wings. Marner, Brown, Kapanen would do just fine on the right side.

Parayko is exactly what we need - a big two way defenseman with a huge shot from the point. He pushes everyone else on the right side down and the defense falls into place.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Brown
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm - Grundstrom

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I disagree. With the centers we have in place they will all make their wingers better, and we don't need super talent on the wings. Marner, Brown, Kapanen would do just fine on the right side.

Parayko is exactly what we need - a big two way defenseman with a huge shot from the point. He pushes everyone else on the right side down and the defense falls into place.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Quite frankly we don’t know if Brown and Kapanen are anything more than 30ish point guys so I wouldn’t say the Leafs are set on the right wing

But even looking at on ice impact of the two players in question - as Nylander slides into his prime in the next few years, he’s going to be a more impactful player than Parayko is at present (even if he is a player of a desirable position).

Fair enough if you disagree, but I suspect the Leafs would come to regret such a trade fairly soon after making it.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Blues scored 226 GF last year which was the 8th lowest in the NHL, most of the teams below them ended up drafting in the top 10 of last years draft because they also finished in the bottom 10 in NHL standings as the worst teams.

The Blues see themselves not as a bottom 10 team but rather competing for the Stanley Cup in a Div that includes 2 of the best teams in the West in Nashville and Winnipeg and has the 3 time Cup champs Hawks as well.

If Blues want to seriously compete they need Offense to take on the Jets (2nd highest GF) & Preds (6th highest) in the regular season and go through them in the playoffs.
So what exactly are O'Reilly (61pts), Bozak (43pts), Perron (66pts), and Maroon (43pts)? By my count that's 200pts of additional scoring depth. Plus they have Fabbri back.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
So what exactly are O'Reilly (61pts), Bozak (43pts), Perron (66pts), and Maroon (43pts)? By my count that's 200pts of additional scoring depth. Plus they have Fabbri back.
why doesnt every team just add 3 goalies that each had 30 wins the year before. guaranteed 90 win season right? thats how this works?

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
why doesnt every team just add 3 goalies that each had 30 wins the year before. guaranteed 90 win season right? thats how this works?
ok, I'll bite - one goalie plays at a time, maybe? whereas 12 forwards participate every game?

The assertion was that they lack scoring. I showed that they added quite a significant amount of forward production. This isn't rocket surgery.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Quite frankly we don’t know if Brown and Kapanen are anything more than 30ish point guys so I wouldn’t say the Leafs are set on the right wing

But even looking at on ice impact of the two players in question - as Nylander slides into his prime in the next few years, he’s going to be a more impactful player than Parayko is at present (even if he is a player of a desirable position).

Fair enough if you disagree, but I suspect the Leafs would come to regret such a trade fairly soon after making it.

There is no way that Brown is a 30 point guy playing on Matthews wing. The kid can put up 15 - 20 goals playing bottom six minutes. Who knows what kind of player Nylander would be if he hadn't been playing the majority of his NHL career with Matthews? He still has a lot of flaws, primarily his compete level and willingness to get the puck in traffic. Matthews is an elite center and increases the production of his wingers, no matter who they are. Again, this is the benefit of having three fantasic centers. People don't get to watch Parayko enough. He's fantastic and exactly what the team needs.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Not going to vote because it's a silly rumour. Just wanted to point out Parayko could look better than he is actually playing behind Pietrangelo

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like Parayko, would be a good fit for our team.

That said Berger knows as much about hockey as a pizza box so I don't believe this "rumor" at all.

Reactions: Anthrax442

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
ok, I'll bite - one goalie plays at a time, maybe? whereas 12 forwards participate every game?

The assertion was that they lack scoring. I showed that they added quite a significant amount of forward production. This isn't rocket surgery.

yeah they added 200 points. crazy

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

If we're going by your bulletproof reasoning, you would have to subtract 110 points from the loss of Berglund, Sobotka, Brodziak and Upshall..

This is also ingnoring the fact that points aren't equal when a player changes teams. Different line mates, roles, life situations, etc.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Yes, and by some miraculous mathematical anomaly you think we can get get 90 wins in an 82 game season. I'm beginning to understand why this is so hard for you to grasp.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
Yes, and by some miraculous mathematical anomaly you think we can get get 90 wins in an 82 game season. I'm beginning to understand why this is so hard for you to grasp.
Lol. are you a real NHL GM?? i know there must be some floating around on this site.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
If we're going by your bulletproof reasoning, you would have to subtract 110 points from the loss of Berglund, Sobotka, Brodziak and Upshall..

This is also ingnoring the fact that points aren't equal when a player changes teams. Different line mates, roles, life situations, etc.
hi obliterate maybe u should read this one :rolleyes:

statsny too

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Net result though.

If those centers can turn guys like Brown into 20 goal scorers consistently, then guys like Nylander can go point per game with them.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Not going to vote because it's a silly rumour. Just wanted to point out Parayko could look better than he is actually playing behind Pietrangelo
This is my fear too. The guy plays secondary competition and doesn't have any stand out skill that makes me think he's an underused top pairing level guy. Moving Nylander for him would be a big mistake

Reactions: thunder16

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Net result though.

If those centers can turn guys like Brown into 20 goal scorers consistently, then guys like Nylander can go point per game with them.

But the point is Brown is already a 15 - 20 goal scorer without the help of Matthews or Tavares. What could he be with consistent top six playing time and maybe 2nd PP? If we're looking at net results, what about the 30 - 40 points we would be getting with Parayko? If he's a point man on the loaded Leafs PP I don't think we're giving much up offensively.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hard to take this post serious when you're using Brown as evidence that the net result will be positive.

I did not see a 20 goal scorer last season. His shot declined. He doesn't have an elite shot like Nylander and Matthews probaby finishes with >= 15 points less with Brown as his winger instead of Nylander. You seem to forget Hyman-Matthews-Nylander was a top 5 line in the entire league. You honestly think Brown will maintain that? Matthews doesn't finish point per game playing the season with Brown. With Nylander + powerplay, he most likely does.

Also no indication Hainsey will be re-used as a top pairing dman. He was badly exposed in the playoffs and management saw every second of it.

Making Matthews PPG is not the goal. The goal is to win 16 playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad