Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
i don't have any idea where that comes from, before social media Berger was pretty well respected, columnist for the Sun paper, regular gig on the radio

lets just say the naivety of the Leafs fan base when social media came about was pretty friggin hard to take, for a lot of those guys, how many times has Bobo mocked Leafs Fans and the team, how many times has Dreger, Wyshenski, Ferraro and it goes on and on. Bobo even came on here and called the LeaFlanders asshats

problem was all the 12-16 year olds 20 years ago talking out their arses about how they know better then a professional coach or GM, how the media "hates" the Leafs, how every free agent should sign here, how somebody like Matt Frattin was going to be a 40 goal scorer or Peter Ing was going to be the next Grant Fuhr and all sorts of misconceptions some that stopped just inches short of imbecility and of course the many that went clearly over that line.

Howard no doubt flamed hard at the end of his career, when in an act of outright LeaFlandish proportions, tried to tell RW how to coach after a Saturday night loss in Montreal, he let the fan inside him come out instead of being the objective reporter he was supposed to be

I'm assuming Bobo is Bob McCown? The guy with the worst hockey takes this side of Glenn Healy??

Bob mocked Leaf fans because that's his old man shtick, not to mention he became a hab fan after he married his hab fan wife.

Berger was a good beat reporter for the Leafs for a long time, I was reading a Star column about him, apparently he's become an assistant for a funeral director.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
i don't have any idea where that comes from, before social media Berger was pretty well respected, columnist for the Sun paper, regular gig on the radio

lets just say the naivety of the Leafs fan base when social media came about was pretty friggin hard to take, for a lot of those guys, how many times has Bobo mocked Leafs Fans and the team, how many times has Dreger, Wyshenski, Ferraro and it goes on and on. Bobo even came on here and called the LeaFlanders asshats

problem was all the 12-16 year olds 20 years ago talking out their arses about how they know better then a professional coach or GM, how the media "hates" the Leafs, how every free agent should sign here, how somebody like Matt Frattin was going to be a 40 goal scorer or Peter Ing was going to be the next Grant Fuhr and all sorts of misconceptions some that stopped just inches short of imbecility and of course the many that went clearly over that line.

Howard no doubt flamed hard at the end of his career, when in an act of outright LeaFlandish proportions, tried to tell RW how to coach after a Saturday night loss in Montreal, he let the fan inside him come out instead of being the objective reporter he was supposed to be

Bob McKenzie didn’t come on here and call Leaf fans ass hats.

He actually posted on the main boards here years ago. People would bash him, and he said posters on HFBoards were a bunch of asshats.

Howard Berger was never highly respected. He managed to keep his job because the audience never had a way to vocalize their distain. Social Media gave the readers a voice and it was so overwhelmingly against Berger that they let him go.

It’s the same reason why Rogers removed Strombo, Cox and Healy from their broadcasts.

Blaming Social Media is quite the cop out

Now he’s a blogger who works at a Funeral Home. He doesn’t have any sources, he doesn’t have any credibility

Reactions: The Magic Man

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Berger's story is hilarious. He actually went bankrupt after being let go from TheFan because he believed people would pay to read his articles on the internet. He actually was paying out of his own pocket to follow the Leafs and report on them.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Bob McKenzie didn’t come on here and call Leaf fans ass hats.

He actually posted on the main boards here years ago. People would bash him, and he said posters on HFBoards were a bunch of asshats.

Howard Berger was never highly respected. He managed to keep his job because the audience never had a way to vocalize their distain. Social Media gave the readers a voice and it was so overwhelmingly against Berger that they let him go.

It’s the same reason why Rogers removed Strombo, Cox and Healy from their broadcasts.

Blaming Social Media is quite the cop out

Now he’s a blogger who works at a Funeral Home. He doesn’t have any sources, he doesn’t have any credibility

Howard doesn't keep a gig in the cruel and competitive world of Toronto media for 30 some odd years because he's somehow incompetent, fair and square social media wore him out as it did many of the older guys.

Cox was not removed, he declined the HNiC gig, because of having too much on his plate, he still does hockey related work on SN through the week and writes editorials for both the Star and Sportsnet. Cox was truthful about the state of the Leafs and how management kept fumbling away opportunities and squandering draft picks and so LeaFlanders branded him an enemy of the team and from there the myth of incompetency rose up. Cox is quite amused by it all actually

Healy and Strombo, weren't adding anything to the broadcast and they were dumped. The rest of the cast didn't like Strombo a whole lot as he wasn't really a hockey guy, he never played and that was a strike against him. Healy was way too negative, couldn't call a play if his life depended on it and way too sarcastic and egotistical for a television audience.

social media can be a good thing, but it can also be the worst thing at the same time, children making wild accusations without threat of reprisal is both annoying and myth making...Q-Anon comes directly from the cesspool of reddit, need I say more. I go back all the way to the old Leafs Quote Zone when the internet had News Groups and not Forums, some of QZ I stayed away from because of the ridiculousness attributed too some the children posting outlandish non-sense and also some adults, who just wanted to troll and spew out hate

Last edited:

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
So approx. 96% of you believe in Berger's rumors? :laugh:

The question is if Parayko would make our D better, not if we believe Berger. Berger even trying to throw out Karlssons name in rumors after this one had no legs

I didn't vote but the question is different from the topic, I think.

Reactions: The Cobra and Eb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While Parayko is picture perfect to Leafs needs a big RHD, he will also cost an arm and leg in trade and unlikely Dubas would be willing to pay the asking price even if this rumour was true that he might be available.

Leafs would be better off looking for a cheaper RHD option, and I believe Carolina is the best option.. Justin Faulk the hard shooting RHD that is capable of double digit goals and manning the right point on the PP would come cheaper in trade and with Canes adding Dougie Hamilton it now makes Faulk expendable. Canes moving to a younger group would allow Leafs to part with some of their depth skilled players and not cost them Nylander.

Brown/Kapanen + high pick + prospect might get you Faulk but not Parayko.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Howard doesn't keep a gig in the cruel and competitive world of Toronto media for 30 some odd years because he's somehow incompetent, fair and square social media wore him out as it did many of the older guys.

Cox was not removed, he declined the HNiC gig, because of having too much on his plate, he still does hockey related work on SN through the week and writes editorials for both the Star and Sportsnet. Cox was truthful about the state of the Leafs and how management kept fumbling away opportunities and squandering draft picks and so LeaFlanders branded him an enemy of the team and from there the myth of incompetency rose up. Cox is quite amused by it all actually

Healy and Strombo, weren't adding anything to the broadcast and they were dumped. The rest of the cast didn't like Strombo a whole lot as he wasn't really a hockey guy, he never played and that was a strike against him. Healy was way too negative, couldn't call a play if his life depended on it and way too sarcastic and egotistical for a television audience.

social media can be a good thing, but it can also be the worst thing at the same time, children making wild accusations without threat of reprisal is both annoying and myth making...Q-Anon comes directly from the cesspool of reddit, need I say more. I go back all the way to the old Leafs Quote Zone when the internet had News Groups and not Forums, some of QZ I stayed away from because of the ridiculousness attributed too some the children posting outlandish non-sense and also some adults, who just wanted to troll and spew out hate

You generally seem to be a fan of Howard Berger and Damien Cox, so I don't think we'll agree, but we'll see where it goes.

I don't think Howard Berger is incompetent. However I don't think it's a coincidence that his career ended as soon as the industry became about social media, and online hits. He got a resounding poor feedback on social media, and clearly did not get the amount of online hits necessary. If it was just "the social media world got to him!" as you claim, he still would not be on Twitter and writing articles on his blog. He used to pay out of his own pocket to travel to each Leaf game so he could write about it. He didn't "grow tired" of it, he got fired, and couldn't get hired again.

Damien Cox would get paid more for his weekly National broadcast segment, then he would writing sportsnet.ca pieces every week or so, and writing for the Star. He was removed from the broadcast because the reception wasn't good. He was reassigned to being on the radio. It was the same reason as Strombo, and it was the same reason as Healy.

Rogers ratings were declining, and they were getting social media backlash. So they looked at the top 3 guys, and cut them. Strombo and Healy both terminated and Cox reassigned to being a radio analyst and the odd HockeyCentral appearence. I'm not sure why you would claim Cox resigned due to time, yet he actually got moved into a position where he technically works more, in a less prominent role, and likely less paid as well.

You seem to shrug off Social Media like it's this thing that companies in general don't pay attention to and it's just some intern on their accounts, when it is actually quiet the opposite. Twitter has turned into companies top communication with their customers/audience.

There's no doubt a negative side to Social Media. People have the ability to be anonymous and saying incredibly damaging or hurtful things. However shrugging social media off as that is all it is, is somewhat ignorant of the significance it has.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The question is if Parayko would make our D better, not if we believe Berger. Berger even trying to throw out Karlssons name in rumors after this one had no legs

I didn't vote but the question is different from the topic, I think.

That some don't think Parayko wouldn't make the Leafs defense better?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

That some don't think Parayko wouldn't make the Leafs defense better?

I think some have turned this into would Parayko make the Leafs (not just D) better if it cost them Nylander to make it happen.

The cost to acquire him in order to make the D better becomes a consideration in this process.

If you just answered the question in a vacuum then essentially adding any good player without considering the cost of acquisition would be an obvious Yes response.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think some have turned this into would Parayko make the Leafs (not just D) better if it cost them Nylander to make it happen.

The cost to acquire him in order to make the D better becomes a consideration in this process.

If you just answered the question in a vacuum then essentially adding any good player without considering the cost of acquisition would be an obvious Yes response.

Obviously, even if you moved Matthews for Parayko, it would improve the defense (not team defense the d-corps).

I only answer the question that was asked.

If I were to answer the unasked questions, my first answer would be the Blues aren't trading Parayko to the Leafs for anything the Leafs would find palatable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Obviously, even if you moved Matthews for Parayko, it would improve the defense (not team defense the d-corps).

I only answer the question that was asked.

If I were to answer the unasked questions, my first answer would be the Blues aren't trading Parayko to the Leafs for anything the Leafs would find palatable.

Yup, without checks and balances knowing what is coming in and what is going out to facilitate it, its a rhetorical question with an obvious yes answer. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Berger's story is hilarious. He actually went bankrupt after being let go from TheFan because he believed people would pay to read his articles on the internet. He actually was paying out of his own pocket to follow the Leafs and report on them.

Dude its bad form to take enjoyment out of other peoples misfortune. I've never gone bankrupt but have had friends who have and its not hilarious. You're inviting bad Karma when you take enjoyment out of other peoples misfortune.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
...Q-Anon comes directly from the cesspool of reddit, need I say more. I go back all the way to the old Leafs Quote Zone when the internet had News Groups and not Forums, some of QZ I stayed away from because of the ridiculousness attributed too some the children posting outlandish non-sense and also some adults, who just wanted to troll and spew out hate

The identity behind QAnon was revealed on Friday ... :laugh:

LOL!

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->