Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm not sure if you grasp the concept of net result. If Matthews's production dips playing with Brown, there is a very good chance Brown's production goes up playing with a top 10 center in the NHL. Net result would be negligible. Plus we're not factoring in players getting better. I see Matthews taking a major step forward this season (health permitted). Tavares turned pretty much every linemate he had in NYI into a stud. There is no reason to believe Matthews won't do the same.

Heres the big difference.

Matthews is not always going to be playing at 100% in form (no player does). Even the very best of the best go thru strechs where their either not fully healthy, fatigued or struggling with their game.

This is why almost every star player also needs another elite talent besides them to create a consistently dangerous line. When that star player takes a dip, his other highly skilled linemate can pick up the slack and create things and put said star in a position to succeed even tho hes not at his best.

Nylander gives this to that line and he's definitely helped Matthews basically be the best even strength goal scorer since entering the league. This isnt to say that Matthews wouldnt have still been great and effective if Nylander wasnt on his wing but Nylander and his high end ability has definitely greatly aided in this.

Nylander is a super fast, zone entry beast, who can both be a playmaker but also someone who can finish. Go back and watch many of Matthews goals last season and many of them start with Nylander coming up with a great play to start the sequence.

Brown is a hard worker, whos responsible defensively and can chip in offensively but in no way is he someone who creates offense on his own or drives posession.

Sure you could put him a line with Matthews but it would be Matthews carrying him all of the time and the minute Matthews drops in form Brown doesnt have the ability/upside to carry that line offensively.

Nylander and Brown are in totally different tiers of offensive players. One guy can create and make things happen on his own while the other cant.

Brown is a guy who on a contending team should play no higher than your 3rd line. I get that he's from Toronto, a late rounder who beat the odds and a extremely hard worker but theres no reason to overrate him.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I thought that Berger was an Undertaker now... no kidding.

Yes, or more exactly an undertaker’s assistant. He’s probably very well suited to that role and I wish him well. But as a hockey source???

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Obvious answer is yes.
But it all depends on what the cost to acquire is. If it's Nylander + then you never know

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Obvious answer is yes.
But it all depends on what the cost to acquire is. If it's Nylander + then you never know, becomes a really hard choice to say if we are better

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Obvious answer is yes.
But it all depends on what the cost to acquire is. If it's Nylander + then you never know, becomes a really hard choice to say if we are better

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Larger sample sizes are better than smaller.

Only if you are trying to establish a trend, if you are looking at what your +/- points YOY would be you have to take out the last years contribution and add in the 3 year average based on an average points scored per game multiplied by 82.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Only if you are trying to establish a trend, if you are looking at what your +/- points YOY would be you have to take out the last years contribution and add in the 3 year average based on an average points scored per game multiplied by 82.
it's snapshot of performance, per player, to illustrate offensive output.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
uh i get the joke and all, but Howard is no longer a reporter he is a blogger who does it because he loves his Leafs
Howie, if only you didnt mock Leafs fans the way you did for so long maybe you wouldn't be carrying your former career around in the back of that hearse you drive.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Would Parayko make our D better?
Are we giving up a D to go back the other way?
Does trading from the forwards to make the D better make the team better?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Howie, if only you didnt mock Leafs fans the way you did for so long maybe you wouldn't be carrying your former career around in the back of that hearse you drive.

Not directed at you MBP but I find it entertaining that the experts on this forum who have other jobs besides being a sports reporter are belittling Berger for having another job and are trying minimizing his opinion because he has a second job, yet so many on this forum think that their opinion is gold. There is a word for that...

Reactions: therealkoho

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Not directed at you MBP but I find it entertaining that the experts on this forum who have other jobs besides being a sports reporter are belittling Berger for having another job and are trying minimizing his opinion because he has a second job, yet so many on this forum think that their opinion is gold. There is a word for that...
During his entire career as a sports reporter Berger did nothing but mock Leafs fans and act like an ass. He had a job that people would kill for and he decided to act like he was better than the rest of us. I have no issue with someone being a funeral director, a garbage man, a chef or whatever. I think I'm a bit different here however; I went to broadcasting school and have been on the air for years now and would absolutely be the happiest man on earth if I got the opportunity to be a Leafs reporter. It pisses me off seeing a guy like Berger, for many years, trolling the fan base making those "plan the parade" type of comments all the damn time. He bit the hand that fed him every week. I can't believe someone would take that gig for granted. One of the hardest broadcasting jobs to land in this country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad