Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

kb

Aug 28, 2009
ugh please let Berger disappear already.

buying parayko is a bad idea anyways because his reputation far outweighs his performance, so would almost certainly be an overpay.
Plus the whole RHD as a unicorn overpay.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No they aren't. They don't even have space for some of their talented rookies like Robert Thomas.

Blues scored 226 GF last year which was the 8th lowest in the NHL, most of the teams below them ended up drafting in the top 10 of last years draft because they also finished in the bottom 10 in NHL standings as the worst teams.

The Blues see themselves not as a bottom 10 team but rather competing for the Stanley Cup in a Div that includes 2 of the best teams in the West in Nashville and Winnipeg and has the 3 time Cup champs Hawks as well.

If Blues want to seriously compete they need Offense to take on the Jets (2nd highest GF) & Preds (6th highest) in the regular season and go through them in the playoffs.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This makes tooooo much sense.

Colton is exactly what the Leafs need a big RHD that can play 22+ minutes a night and has a big shot from the right point.

Babcock must have his car stated and running while waiting at airport gate to pick up Parayko in anticipation of picking him up. All that is missing is for Dubas to do his job and get it done.
You believe Berger has sources? His sources are probably from inside the pine boxes he oversees.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You believe Berger has sources? His sources are probably from inside the pine boxes he oversees.
pretty much and if there was any truth to this you'd have to believe one of the hoard of "insiders" would have mentioned this before Burger

seems exactly like speculation you'd see on the HF trade forum from any random poster

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The signing of JT all but forces (for Cap reasons) the Leafs to deal Marner/Nylander forward depth eventually/inevitably for a young RHD making less $$ cap money and addressing a big need on the Leafs.

Parayko can play top pairing minutes, is a RHD and can man the point on the PP and paired with Rielly would give the Leafs a real top pairing unlike a Rielly -- Hainsey one of today.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No, trading a 1st++ for Tanev is an unpopular opinion.

And it doesn't have anything to do with what I said anyway.

it has everything to do with what you said, it all depends of course, on which half you would listen to the half that would burn a 1st and a rostered player for an injury prone oversold defenceman or the half that know better:naughty:;):laugh:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
The signing of JT all but forces (for Cap reasons) the Leafs to deal Marner/Nylander forward depth eventually/inevitably for a young RHD making less $$ cap money and addressing a big need on the Leafs.

Parayko can play top pairing minutes, is a RHD and can man the point on the PP and paired with Rielly would give the Leafs a real top pairing unlike a Rielly -- Hainsey one of today.

At the end of the day it will come down to does Parayko make us a better more balanced team than with Nylander as a forward with eith JT or AM?

It would be nice if they could swing the deal with maybe a Connor Brown, Gardiner along with a draft pic but Nylander will be demanded by the Blues. I would try and make the deal since it would really free up Reily as well as slot guys better on the backend. I believe one guy could really help shape that back end. All this being said, if Parayko was available would not every team want a crack at him? I think the Leafs kind of missed the boat a year ago before Vegas got the expansion draft and pick one of the godd young d-men out there.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
And enough of the Tanev BS. Guys on here are dense if you would give anything of value for an injury riddled player.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That's one of the sillier poll questions I've seen.

Also, a Nylander for Parayko swap (in principal, i.e. a pick\prospect added to further balance the scales) would be quite fair, all due respect to both sides who think the value is off in either direction.
So I've been reading this thread and I have to say that I do not see a Parayko Nylander as a trade where the leafs win (let alone a Nylander +)

Parayko is a second pairing defenseman. He is very good. His reputation seems to be legendary now judging from the discussion here)
Nylander's reputation is not so great. His numbers are good but why is everyone hard on him? Because everyone can see that Nylander has considerable skills and expect him to play at an elite level. He is on the first line of a very good team. Parayko plays his game, but I don't feel he will get to elite level.
I've been hard on Nylander but these kind of proposals make me scratch my head. Its like spinning the roulette wheel.
From a strategy perspective, moving any of the leafs core without a clear overpayment is really risky and finding a guy with the potential of Nylander will likely not happen without a top 10 draft pick, which the leafs will not get for a long time.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So I've been reading this thread and I have to say that I do not see a Parayko Nylander as a trade where the leafs win (let alone a Nylander +)

Parayko is a second pairing defenseman. He is very good. His reputation seems to be legendary now judging from the discussion here)
Nylander's reputation is not so great. His numbers are good but why is everyone hard on him? Because everyone can see that Nylander has considerable skills and expect him to play at an elite level. He is on the first line of a very good team. Parayko plays his game, but I don't feel he will get to elite level.
I've been hard on Nylander but these kind of proposals make me scratch my head. Its like spinning the roulette wheel.
From a strategy perspective, moving any of the leafs core without a clear overpayment is really risky and finding a guy with the potential of Nylander will likely not happen without a top 10 draft pick, which the leafs will not get for a long time.

Respectfully, you are either overrating Nylander, or underrating Parayko. I lean toward the latter.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At the end of the day it will come down to does Parayko make us a better more balanced team than with Nylander as a forward with eith JT or AM?

It would be nice if they could swing the deal with maybe a Connor Brown, Gardiner along with a draft pic but Nylander will be demanded by the Blues. I would try and make the deal since it would really free up Reily as well as slot guys better on the backend. I believe one guy could really help shape that back end. All this being said, if Parayko was available would not every team want a crack at him? I think the Leafs kind of missed the boat a year ago before Vegas got the expansion draft and pick one of the godd young d-men out there.

Rielly @ $5 mil + Parayko @$5.5 mil = $10.5 mil top pairing = equals the equivalent of lacking a true #1Dman making #10 mil (Hedman, Doughty etc).

Ideally Dubas could deal Gardiner + ?? (Brown, Kappy etc) + picks/prospects in and quantity for quality deal but we all know the rule the team that gets the best player often wins the trade and so its hard to imagine STL being interested in a package for a young emerging 6'-6" stud RHD, knowing their losing the deal before the ink dries on the trade.

However a Nylander @ ~+$7 mil AAV for Parayko @ $5.5 mil AAV adressess a Leafs need balances cap spending by position better and likely saves < $2.mil cap annually to be applied to other player raises.

If you then bottom fill and replace Nylander with Brown on the Marleau- Matthews line how much offense do you sacrifice? It would be far less impact than knowing how much Parayko could improve the Leafs defense group beyond present personnel.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

No it doesnt force anyone out.

Reactions: kb

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Respectfully, you are either overrating Nylander, or underrating Parayko. I lean toward the latter.
I respect your opinion but the value everyone is putting on defensemen are silly.
If you were to ask people, which is the best draft year in the last 10 years, I would bet that few would pick 2012 which produced, Rielly, Dumba, Lindholm, Trouba and Parayko.
For teams really deep in Dmen, why have they been unable to move them for elite forwards and centers?
Dmen don't fit in every team but elite forwards do. If there is a possibility that Nylander will be elite (which there is) and if there is talent being developed, why would you throw it away just to fill a hole that might be filled on it's own within 1-2 years?
Parayko wouldn't even be the best Toronto dman and we are giving up potential elite talent?

Reactions: kanomi

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
The 2017 Penguins won a cup with firepower up front and this on the backend.

Brian Dumoulin - Ron Hainsey
Oilli Maatta — Trevor Daley
Ian Cole — Justin Schultz

You trade Willie and that will 100% come back to haunt you ala Taylor Hall. You don't trade a forward that has a ceiling as high as Marner/Nylander. Let our d corps grow organically before making any knee jerking decisions.

Reactions: Cobra777

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Firstly, I can't believe ST Louis would do it. It says Toronto is interested in Parayko. So are about 25 or more other GM's. The cost would be very high since they never put him on the market. So the cost is what stupid amount would a team pay, just to get St Louis to call back and listen? The answer is Nylander plus. Will it happen ? Not if St Louis starts out well. They would have to be out of the playoffs and desperate to make such a move. Chance of it happening : 10 percent.

"A broken clock can still be right twice a day."

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Firstly, I can't believe ST Louis would do it. It says Toronto is interested in Parayko. So are about 25 or more other GM's. The cost would be very high since they never put him on the market. So the cost is what stupid amount would a team pay, just to get St Louis to call back and listen? The answer is Nylander plus. Will it happen ? Not if St Louis starts out well. They would have to be out of the playoffs and desperate to make such a move. Chance of it happening : 10 percent.

"A broken clock can still be right twice a day."
On Nylander getting picked on, of the big 4 No one wants to question Tavares(27), Mathews(Star C) or Marner(good playoff performance). Let's face it versus Boston he was pretty meh.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I respect your opinion but the value everyone is putting on defensemen are silly.
If you were to ask people, which is the best draft year in the last 10 years, I would bet that few would pick 2012 which produced, Rielly, Dumba, Lindholm, Trouba and Parayko.
For teams really deep in Dmen, why have they been unable to move them for elite forwards and centers?
Dmen don't fit in every team but elite forwards do. If there is a possibility that Nylander will be elite (which there is) and if there is talent being developed, why would you throw it away just to fill a hole that might be filled on it's own within 1-2 years?
Parayko wouldn't even be the best Toronto dman and we are giving up potential elite talent?

What would Nylander be on the Blues?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
it has everything to do with what you said, it all depends of course, on which half you would listen to the half that would burn a 1st and a rostered player for an injury prone oversold defenceman or the half that know better:naughty:;):laugh:
No, it had nothing to do with what I said. I said that I'm more inclined to believe posters here on rumors than Berger. I'm talking about whether someone is a reliable source of information. Whether someone is a good evaluator of trading value has no bearing on that. Hence, what you are talking about is completely beside the point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's one of the sillier poll questions I've seen.

Also, a Nylander for Parayko swap (in principal, i.e. a pick\prospect added to further balance the scales) would be quite fair, all due respect to both sides who think the value is off in either direction.
I think the Leafs would happily do that.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Not sure what you mean because I didn't make the proposal. Offhand, he would lift their goal scoring from a near league bottom 226 GF to something a lot better.

No, no. I'm simply encouraging you to place yourself in the shoes of the StL GM. You're making the deal in an effort to gain more offense, hypothetically. Is Nylander your #1 RW? No, that's Tarasenko. Is he your #1 Center? Maybe, if you believe he can be that. He is far more likely your #2 RW, awesome young scorer, helping you to diversify your assets, pulling from an org strength.

Trading a top-3, two-way, 25 year old RHD for that seems fair, if you're receiving something else as well.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
No, no. I'm simply encouraging you to place yourself in the shoes of the StL GM. You're making the deal in an effort to gain more offense, hypothetically. Is Nylander your #1 RW? No, that's Tarasenko. Is he your #1 Center? Maybe, if you believe he can be that. He is far more likely your #2 RW, awesome young scorer, helping you to diversify your assets, pulling from an org strength.

Trading a top-3, two-way, 25 year old RHD for that seems fair, if you're receiving something else as well.

I understand what the blues want. Nylander would be a huge win for sure because the blues are well above average in goals suppression and well below average in goals generated. It is part of my point. The leafs gain less with Parayko than the Blues gain with Nylander...let alone a Nylander +. Seeing that the leafs were 12th or 13th in goal suppression and that some holes have been fixed, I am not even sure that the net +- differential improves for the team at all with this trade. It is a crap shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad