Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I understand what the blues want. Nylander would be a huge win for sure because the blues are well above average in goals suppression and well below average in goals generated. It is part of my point. The leafs gain less with Parayko than the Blues gain with Nylander...let alone a Nylander +. Seeing that the leafs were 12th or 13th in goal suppression and that some holes have been fixed, I am not even sure that the net +- differential improves for the team at all with this trade. It is a crap shoot.

Leafs have 38 year old Hainsey playing top pairing minutes, Zaitsev and then Carrick on the RH side of their Dcore and you're not sure if Colton Parayko replacing Hainsey, and bumping him down to 3rd pairing improves the Leafs?

Hainsey
Zaitsev
Carrick

replaced by

Parayko
Zaitsev
Hainsey

is not a marginal improvement its a significant one.

If you replace 22 goal man Nylander with Connor Brown who is also +20 goal capable on Matthews right side how much offense is lost in the process?.

The good far out weighs the bad in this scenario in terms of Leafs team improvement and also better cap management by position.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Leafs have 38 year old Hainsey playing top pairing minutes, Zaitsev and then Carrick on the RH side of their Dcore and you're not sure if Colton Parayko replacing Hainsey, and bumping him down to 3rd pairing improves the Leafs?

Hainsey
Zaitsev
Carrick

replaced by

Parayko
Zaitsev
Hainsey

If you replace 22 goal man Nylander with Connor Brown who is also +20 goal capable on Matthews right side how much offense is lost in the process?.

The good far out weighs the bad in this scenario in terms of Leafs team improvement and also better cap management by position.
The differences between Nylander and Brown are more than goal differential and you know it.
It would be less dishonest (though still dishonest) to declare that the leafs will not lower their goals against by 22 goals (lost by trading nylander ) by adding Parayko.

member 300185

I'm no Berger fan but I find it absolutely hilarious you guys trounce Berger non stop but post and respond to Eklund rumours.

Berger at least has gotten some things right and has real sources where Eklund is a total dumpster fire and has NEVER gotten one trade correct that he posted the rumour. Yet you trash Berger and have Eklund on a throne somehow and all he has ever done was sucker idiots to subscribe to his garbage.

Hey some of you HF posters, I have some land for sale in south Florida and its priced real cheap.

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm no Berger fan but I find it absolutely hilarious you guys trounce Berger non stop but post and respond to Eklund rumours.

Berger at least has gotten some things right and has real sources where Eklund is a total dumpster fire and has NEVER gotten one trade correct that he posted the rumour. Yet you trash Berger and have Eklund on a throne somehow and all he has ever done was sucker idiots to subscribe to his garbage.

Hey some of you HF posters, I have some land for sale in south Florida and its priced real cheap.
I'd guess that the whole premise of yours here is completely taken out of thin air. Don't think I've seen anyone take Eklund serious for years.

Reactions: Liminality

member 300185

I'd guess that the whole premise of yours here is completely taken out of thin air. Don't think I've seen anyone take Eklund serious for years.
if you go on the main boards, there is a bunch of people who actually think Eklund is a reliable source.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I respect your opinion but the value everyone is putting on defensemen are silly.
If you were to ask people, which is the best draft year in the last 10 years, I would bet that few would pick 2012 which produced, Rielly, Dumba, Lindholm, Trouba and Parayko.
For teams really deep in Dmen, why have they been unable to move them for elite forwards and centers?
Dmen don't fit in every team but elite forwards do. If there is a possibility that Nylander will be elite (which there is) and if there is talent being developed, why would you throw it away just to fill a hole that might be filled on it's own within 1-2 years?
Parayko wouldn't even be the best Toronto dman and we are giving up potential elite talent?

Nashville and Columbus swung a deal similar to what you mention. It could be that teams that are deep at D don't want to move (not can't move them) them because they recognize just how valueable they are.

It's generally accepted that defencemen are the most valued on the trade market, RHD tend to be the most valued d-men, wingers are generally viewed as the least valued because there are so many of them. So one very good RHD is close in value to an elite winger.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Firstly, I can't believe ST Louis would do it. It says Toronto is interested in Parayko. So are about 25 or more other GM's. The cost would be very high since they never put him on the market. So the cost is what stupid amount would a team pay, just to get St Louis to call back and listen? The answer is Nylander plus. Will it happen ? Not if St Louis starts out well. They would have to be out of the playoffs and desperate to make such a move. Chance of it happening : 10 percent.

"A broken clock can still be right twice a day."

What about the day we switch to daylight savings?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Source aside - Parayko is indeed a great player, but it’s not wrong to suggest Nylander’s on ice impact will likely be greater next season than him, so that’s an easy “no” for me.

Now if the Blues would be open to a package deal (and admittedly that’s unlikely that hey would be) based around younger guys and futures Dubas should consider it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The differences between Nylander and Brown are more than goal differential and you know it.
It would be less dishonest (though still dishonest) to declare that the leafs will not lower their goals against by 22 goals (lost by trading nylander ) by adding Parayko.

Yeah, the two players are miles apart in terms of on ice impact.

I like Brown, but he’s essentially just a depth winger who tries hard.

Reactions: weems

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I get why people would covet Nylander and not want to trade him, he is awesome. If we can agree that Matthews and JT both have a way of making their wingers better Brown, Kapanen, Bracco, Korshkov all have scoring upside, all have 20 goal potential. Brown and Kapanen are already better 2 way forwards, Willie is clearly a better scorer. So do you gamble that other players will pick up the scoring slack to pick up a RHD that will play in your 1st pairing?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Whoa. Pretty salty STL fans on the main board. I suppose the potential trade leans in TOR's favour, but we don't know the add! It would be Liljegren for all we know. Perhaps Sparks.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Whoa. Pretty salty STL fans on the main board. I suppose the potential trade leans in TOR's favour, but we don't know the add! It would be Liljegren for all we know. Perhaps Sparks.

So thats a good point if Leaf fans think Nylander is the best player and St Lou fans think Parayko is the best player, that kinda tells each others fan base think that the guy going the other way is kinda good...

If Lilly is part of the deal, I would have a hard time liking the trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This was a great image on the World Cup with a Rielly & Parayko Dman pairing.

morgan-rielly-celebrates-with-colton-parayko-of-team-north-america-picture-id608572344

Colton+Parayko+World+Cup+Hockey+2016+Russia+ZvYU96HDY29l.jpg

Lets make it happen.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

I know when you say Ecklund you actually mean Dreger

Reactions: NovaLeaf

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Howard Berger has ZERO insider knowledge. Yet, every off season he writes one of these articles. Berger also at one point wrote an article about trading Matthews.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Hainsey
Zaitsev
Carrick

replaced by

Parayko
Zaitsev
Hainsey

Hard to take this post serious when you're using Brown as evidence that the net result will be positive.

I did not see a 20 goal scorer last season. His shot declined. He doesn't have an elite shot like Nylander and Matthews probaby finishes with >= 15 points less with Brown as his winger instead of Nylander. You seem to forget Hyman-Matthews-Nylander was a top 5 line in the entire league. You honestly think Brown will maintain that? Matthews doesn't finish point per game playing the season with Brown. With Nylander + powerplay, he most likely does.

Also no indication Hainsey will be re-used as a top pairing dman. He was badly exposed in the playoffs and management saw every second of it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
When there's a question mark at the end of the title of the article it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Howard Berger has ZERO insider knowledge. Yet, every off season he writes one of these articles. Berger also at one point wrote an article about trading Matthews.

His source is probably Bill Watters, who is even more bat shit crazy than Berger.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad