Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Trades from an area of strength to address a point of weakness don't always work out well in the NHL, and often times turn out disastrously like in Edmonton. Leafs are better off rolling with what they have until the deadline, and then picking up a rental D (although arguably in this situation Gardiner would be our "in-house" rental. In the end, how the Leafs decide to handle Jake Gardiner matters more than ANYTHING else right now, because so much hinges on it.

It is difficult in today's salary cap NHL to make a trade that actually and definitively makes you much better off that carries little risk. In-house drafted and developed talent rules the day.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The big problem with Parayko is that his reputation seems greater than his actual on ice impact.

Those are players that teams should generally avoid on the trade market

Reactions: PromisedLand

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
geepers I guess once a myth takes hold it can never change

Berger never said the Leafs should trade Matthews, never said the Leafs were going to trade Matthews, it was a fantasy piece dedicated to the denizens of LeaFland

Howard was echoing thoughts expressed here on HoF boards by the LeaFlander lunatics(portrayed as the shadowy Leaf Exec) who were saying that the Leafs were good enough to win w/o Matty, these are the same people who somehow know Babcock isn't handling the team correctly, the same people who somehow think an injury riddled and prone Dman is worth a 1st pick and Nylander or whomever

the St Louis thing is on this board and the main board, one cursory look around the internet will tell you the rumour mongers are also pushing this narrative of acquiring a guy like Parayko. I mean think about it every big time Dman somehow gets attached to the Leafs by the media, the LeaFlanders latch on to it and the hysteria starts

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
What's worse?

A thread about a Howard Berger article?

OR

The question in the poll having an answer that would imply Parayko doing anything but improving our defense?

Reactions: Obliviate

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Whom do we even trade that sucka for? For a Gardiner and 1st I'll do it. Other than that, keep that sucka outta here. We ain't needing no fools.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Lol. I wish. I'd trade anyone except Matthews for him.
I'd like to know if he can play on the top pairing before I dealt one of the big 3 for him.

So far in his career he has played behind Petro the entire time, one of the league's best defenders. He also played like 2 mins of PP time and plenty of ES time and only put up like 35 points. He is 25, not a spring chicken.

I feel like people on this site get overhyped about any big defender with promise.

I think Parayko is great but I wouldn't be dealing Marner for him until I know he can be that #1/#2. He could easily be a #1/#2 but isn't there yet and it is no certainty he will.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Gardiner+Brown+picks for Parayako.

I think brown is a good blues player. He reminds me a ton of Steen which was a very good player for them.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's already been mentioned but Berger sucks.
Saying that, I think Parayko is an amazing talent and would love to get him on the team somehow.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The way I look at it is...Parayko leaves a vacancy in St.Louis. Do they have a ready replacement? I doubt it,but maybe. If not,then they need a ready Dman back,which the Leafs likely can't satisfy that need! If they want a forward like Willy or Mitch,then Leafs don't do that deal!
Parayko is not the difference between a cup and no cup! I saw that he looked good with Morgan in that tournament...but he is not a first pairing D on his own team! Can't give up a top line winger in his early twentys for the off chance that Colton becomes a #1 on the Leafs.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yeah if it's Nylander going the other way I'd be looking to use him as a starting point to get a Seth Jones calibre or something. Starting point as in we'd have to add more obviously. Also using Seth Jones as a benchmark, not saying go trade for Seth Jones or that he'd ever be available.

1 for 1 for guys like Parayko don't intrigue me. Rather have the young impact forward and see what becomes of Liljegren. If they can find another way to get Parayko using the 1st, Kapanen, Johnsson , Sandin etc. then go that route.

I mean, Nylander is going to be what, 22 during this season? If Liljegren is a dud we'll always have the opportunity to trade Nylander down the line if D continues to be an issue. His trade value will only go up as well. Who knows what players will become available later on when Nylander's value is at a premium. Back to back 70+ point seasons and we'll have teams lining up with offers if they get the memo that Nylander can be obtained.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Yeah if it's Nylander going the other way I'd be looking to use him as a starting point to get a Seth Jones calibre or something. Starting point as in we'd have to add more obviously. Also using Seth Jones as a benchmark, not saying go trade for Seth Jones or that he'd ever be available.

1 for 1 for guys like Parayko don't intrigue me. Rather have the young impact forward and see what becomes of Liljegren. If they can find another way to get Parayko using the 1st, Kapanen, Johnsson , Sandin etc. then go that route.

I mean, Nylander is going to be what, 22 during this season? If Liljegren is a dud we'll always have the opportunity to trade Nylander down the line if D continues to be an issue. His trade value will only go up as well. Who knows what players will become available later on when Nylander's value is at a premium. Back to back 70+ point seasons and we'll have teams lining up with offers if they get the memo that Nylander can be obtained.
Parayko is a 6'6" huge stud RD. He is literally exactly what we want and need. He can be a topline RD for us for the next decade with a slick puckmover liljgren behind him sheltered in offensive minutes.

You give up a very very good but one dimensional RW in a heartbeat.

Marner stepped ahead of Nylander this year.

Reactions: BM14

Mar 26, 2010
If the cost is Nylander I am not interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00