Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'd like to know if he can play on the top pairing before I dealt one of the big 3 for him.

So far in his career he has played behind Petro the entire time, one of the league's best defenders. He also played like 2 mins of PP time and plenty of ES time and only put up like 35 points. He is 25, not a spring chicken.

I feel like people on this site get overhyped about any big defender with promise.

I think Parayko is great but I wouldn't be dealing Marner for him until I know he can be that #1/#2. He could easily be a #1/#2 but isn't there yet and it is no certainty he will.

Id take the bet on him.

Hes a stud RHD with size and mobility. He and Rielly would be the top pairing to secure us a Cup

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Berger speculates based on "sources" that Dubas is after Parayko and is willing to offer up Offence from the forward position.

Are Leafs, Blues Talking?

Scouting report on Parayko (last year his ATOI was 22:37, that would have put him 1st on the leafs slightly ahead of Jake):

COLTON PARAYKO

#55 • D
  • Height: 6'6
  • Weight: 230 lbs.
  • Shoots: R
  • Experience: 3 years
  • Birthdate: May 12, 1993
  • Birthplace: St. Albert, Alta.
  • Drafted: Drafted by St. Louis in 2012 (3/86)
SCOUTING REPORT
ASSETS:
Has excellent size, good mobility and plenty of offensive acumen from the back end. Displays all-around ability and can log a lot of minutes. His shot is deadly from the point.
FLAWS:
Is still a bit raw and unrefined in most areas of the game, so he needs to fully hone his skills to maximize output in the NHL. Could also stand to be more physical and imposing.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Big, talented, all-round defenseman with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Don’t know about specifics.

But the idea of shopping forward depth for blue line help shouldn’t be dismissed so quickly. Regardless of the source.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Of course he would make our blue line better, but he would cost us Willie +

F Berger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Id take the bet on him.

Hes a stud RHD with size and mobility. He and Rielly would be the top pairing to secure us a Cup

Last year he had 212 SOG, only 10 other defenders had more. What is the rage now with defenders? Defencmen who can get the puck to the net from the point. The only concern I would have with him is our forwards like to carry the puck and they really aren't the type that fish for junk (rebounds) in front of the net, except for Hyman, Brown and Kadri they are willing to dog pile to get the puck. He might be a good (great?) defencemen but maybe not a fit for our forwards style.

A guy like Karlsson (duh?) would be a better fit for our forwards because he can pass tape to tape to them when they are in full flight.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
HB suggested Gardiner + Johnnsson for Parayko... LMAOOO.
Except Gardiner is a UFA after this year and Johnsson is unproven at this level. Not as outrageous as it seems. Parayko is on a 5.5 mill deal for the next four years where Jake will likely get upwards of 7mill. I would do that deal.

If we are talking about Nylander as the piece going the other way then it's a hard no.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Would there be a better chance of getting Pietrangelo (2 yrs left @ 6.5) or Bouwmeester (1 year at 5.5) from St Louis?

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
I love Parayko, but his reputation definitely outstrips his impact. We should aim towards the opposite if we're looking for an acquisition via trade.

This,

Its the same as trading commodities; Whats the point in trying to buy whilst a player's value is at its absolute highest- We need to be utilizing the scouting staff in conjunction with the advanced stats analysts to identify and trade for the next big "sleeper".

They're out there, at least 1 or 2 will break through this season that could be had for very little cost.

Last edited:

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Except Gardiner is a UFA after this year and Johnsson is unproven at this level. Not as outrageous as it seems. Parayko is on a 5.5 mill deal for the next four years where Jake will likely get upwards of 7mill. I would do that deal.

If we are talking about Nylander as the piece going the other way then it's a hard no.

I think the "LMAO" was in reference to how ridiculously inadequate an offer of Gardiner and Johnsson would be, for the reasons you mentioned.

Reactions: lovemyleafs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I love Parayko, but his reputation definitely outstrips his impact. We should aim towards the opposite if we're looking for an acquisition via trade.

He would have a huge impact on our D. Yes, Blues would be selling high but he could be the final piece.

Examples of who you have in mind ?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pietrangelo will cost you more than Parayko and is probably not available. Bo probably is and should not cost too much.

Pietrangelo may cost more to obtain. He’d be 30 at the end of his current contract and he may not get much more than 6.50 3 yrs extension.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Doesn't trading Parayko weaken STL's defense? Does STL have strong D propsects that can move up in the top 4 D pairings?

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
not sure what St. Louis would want or why they'd want to trade him (I don't), but I'd make the trade only under the condition that St. Louis takes a fair offer for any of the Leafs' assets that do not include the following players:

- Matthews
- Tavares
- Kadri
- Marner
- Nylander
- Dermott
- Rielly

any other combination and I'd do it - would significantly improve the Leafs' odds of contending this season and beyond.

Johnsson/Kapanen + Liljegren + 2019 1st Rounder + 2019 3rd Rounder.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
IF this happens I would assume it would be for Willie and likely because he is asking for too much.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Unless he regresses, IMO you are not getting Pietrangelo under $8M when he is 30.

That could still be the same percentage of the cap, who knows? Term would be crucial 5 yrs max with a lower AAV than a 3 yr deal.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
not sure what St. Louis would want or why they'd want to trade him (I don't), but I'd make the trade only under the condition that St. Louis takes a fair offer for any of the Leafs' assets that do not include the following players:

- Matthews
- Tavares
- Kadri
- Marner
- Nylander
- Dermott
- Rielly

any other combination and I'd do it - would significantly improve the Leafs' odds of contending this season and beyond.

Johnsson/Kapanen + Liljegren + 2019 1st Rounder + 2019 3rd Rounder.

You are not getting a top 3 dman without giving up Nylander, Marner or Rielly unless it is for a cap dump like a Weber.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That could still be the same percentage of the cap, who knows? Term would be crucial 5 yrs max with a lower AAV than a 3 yr deal.

Cap is rising and average players are now signing $5M deals. He might take a discount to come home (he is a King City boy) but no way he signs for $6.5m AAV in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00