Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He’s got to go. I’m not a blind hater and will credit his strengths, but it’s time.

This team will go no where with him at the helm.

Jim “Meat and Potatoes” Benning is a dinosaur, not fit for how modern game is run.

same. I also tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt but enough is enough. His drafting game plan in changing the way our scouts seek players seems to have worked out ok. Some obvious misses in drafting, (no team hits 100%) but really I'm just so sick of him right now it's not even funny anymore. Rathbone has looked good, and him forcing the team to choose Hoglander with our 2nd was quite good but he needs to go. I don't even care even anymore about his drafting abilities or his so called abilities to scout. If he doesn't know how to bring in the "right" free agents or even make a trades his drafting WILL NEVER bail him out no matter how wow he drafts. In one week watch him put the blame on Covid 19. You watch bro. He's going to blame covid 19, when the truth is, the team is actually put together poorly. I"m so scared come Free agent day. Watch him blow precious cap space on some aging player.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Chiarelli is still worse and that's mostly because when he knew he was about to be fired he pulled a 'well, f*** you too!' move and signed the then unproven Koskinen to 4.5x3 with a M-NTC (15 teams NTC). I'm still 100% sure it was a move made out of pure spite,

Reactions: Del Preston

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Bergevin is pretty close to Benning's tier but otherwise no disagreement here.
Not defending Bergy, but Benning is by far a worse GM. His cap management is so bad it's unbelievable. They have so much talent on entry level deals and will miss the playoffs, while spending to the cap. They should be in a position to contend given the talent they have on controlled salary. He's a joke.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Chiarelli is still worse and that's mostly because when he knew he was about to be fired he pulled a 'well, f*** you too!' move and signed the then unproven Koskinen to 4.5x3 with a M-NTC (15 teams NTC). I'm still 100% sure it was a move made out of pure spite,
Tanner Pearson is on pace for 25 points over 82 games and got 3 years @ $3.25m and was promised to be protected in expansion. Also has a M-NTC.

A guy getting borderline 1st line usage putting up 4th line production. 29 years old starting next season.

Feels quite similar.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He is the worst of GMs and the best of GMs. I completely agree with the mismanagement of pro contracts and the disrespect towards players, but in another critical area to the success of a team he has been the best GM probably in Canucks history. What is that area? Drafting.

The Canucks drafting history is abysmal, with many drafts containing zero actual NHL players. Year after year we've seen first round picks wasted on the likes of Brendan Gaunce (16 points in 118 games), Nicklas Jensen (6 points in 31 games), Nathan Smith (0 points in 26 games), Josh Holden (14 points in 60 games), Libor Polasek (0 NHL games), Alex Stojanov (7 points in 107 games), Jason Herter (only played 1 NHL game), Dan Woodley (2 points in 5 games) and on and on and on.

Benning has come in and selected some of the best rookies in Canucks history in Boeser (23rd overall pick), Petterson (5th overall pick), Hughes (7th overall pick) along with some amazing picks in later rounds like Hoglander, Demko, Gaudette, Rathbone and others. Even his drafting "misses" have managed to make the NHL with Virtanen at over 300 games and Juolevi starting to rack up some games this season.

As a Canucks fan its just refreshing to see first round picks that actually play in the NHL. Don't take that for granted, and don't forget what it's like to have GMs who are bad at drafting.
It’s not hard to draft 1st round picks that make the nhl when you’re constantly drafting top 10. Right now he has hit on 2/4 top 10 picks. Virtanen is a bust relative to draft position. Juolevi is a bust. You could literally have a random schmuck pulled off the st that knows nothing about hockey, give him bob mckenzie’s mock draft list with a brief description of the players and hit just as well when picking top 10. This doesn’t even include how Benning had to be vetoed by linden into picking pettersson

Reactions: CanuckCity

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Why'd the Canucks get rid of the last guy again?

I'm really asking.
Because the loud idiotic fan base wasn’t happy with success when the guy in charge came off as an arrogant prick. Oh also because he was horrible at drafting. Gillis took us to game 7 of the SCF, won back to back presidents trophies, and only missed the playoffs once in his tenure, yet a large chunk of the fan base still discredits him to this day. I’ll take an arrogant prick who was built the best Canucks team of all time and is probably the winningest gm in franchise history over however many years he was here. Personally never wanted him fired and would be over the moon if we brought him back as it seems like he’s humbled himself whilst also becoming an even better candidate with his future thinking. He’s even admitted his one regret is not fixing our scouting department in his tenure.

Sure Glad we replaced him with a guy that can only draft and even then is only an above average drafter who just trades away the players that become anything after her drafts them (McCann/forsling). Hope those fans are happy with how this team is so far removed from being respectable or even laughable. Other teams and media just pity us at this point. They can’t even laugh at us anymore because it’s soo bad it’s not even funny anymore. At least these fans have started to turn on Benning and because of that he may finally get fired. This is really only because the media has turned on Benning though. These fans are literally sheeple and just follow what the media says. That’s why they hated gillis. He didn’t get along with the media so the media took every chance they got to hate on him.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Some of the last few Benning cheerleaders point out that hes such a great GM because he drafted 3 Calder finalists in a row (Brock Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes)

But I think that argument should be used against him. I recognize those great draft picks, but to waste away that young talent while filling up a team right up to the cap and finish at the bottom of the league again, its unreal, like how bad can you be???

$6 million Eriksson - not playing
$6 million Myers - a #5 Dman
$4.375 million Sutter - 4c
$4.3 million Holtby - backup
$3.5 million Ferland - injured before signing
$3 million Beagle - 13 forward
$3 million Roussell - 13 forward
$2.5 million Baertchi - ahl
$1 million Spooner - buyout

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Some of the last few Benning cheerleaders point out that hes such a great GM because he drafted 3 Calder finalists in a row (Brock Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes)

But I think that argument should be used against him. I recognize those great draft picks, but to waste away that young talent while filling up a team right up to the cap and finish at the bottom of the league again, its unreal, like how bad can you be???

$6 million Eriksson - not playing
$6 million Myers - a #5 Dman
$4.375 million Sutter - 4c
$4.3 million Holtby - backup
$3.5 million Ferland - injured before signing
$3 million Beagle - 13 forward
$3 million Roussell - 13 forward
$2.5 million Baertchi - ahl
$1 million Spooner - buyout

Shit. That's Ken Holland level moves.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Jim Benning, a former player. What makes a former player a good candidate for GM? Not a lot. I'd bet hard core fantasy players are more qualified.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
We needed this confirmed? It’s well established for a while now.

possibly the worst GM in the modern history of the NHL.

Peter-Chiarelli.jpg

Reactions: Del Preston

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
GM’s don’t draft. It’s 90% other peoples work.

Also drafting is about 95% draft position.
He actually does draft though. That’s his background and he said he wouldn’t give bracket the powers he wanted and would be taking over once he officially left. He wants to focus on drafting. Dude needs to just be a scout. He’s not even an elite scout. He drafted virtanen when most of the base wanted Nylander. He wanted to draft glass I think it was but linden overruled him and went with brackett and the scouting dept to draft petey. He has hit on some later picks, but overall not an impressive record

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Haha, that's him looking at his phone after hearing Toffoli signed elsewhere and wondering why Tyler didn't respond to his offer, but instead seeing this in his text convo:

DRAFT: Hey Ty, thanks for being patient, had some things on the go for a goalie. Love to bring you back, what do you say to 6x6?

Knowing how shit this guy is at his job i could totally see him being like "i offered him a contract and he ignored me", only to realize he never clicked send.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Dude is best known for helping with the colossal fail of an offersheet CGY made to O'Rielly, being fired shortly into his tenure, and messing up the Orlando Magic so bad (including trading Tracy McGrady for peanuts), he constantly received death threats from their fans during his tenure.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s a terrible GM. A complete joke. His drafting has been good, but every year he signs some washed up has-been vet, either too long in term or for too much term. This past offseason it was Holtby, who is one of the biggest washed up sack of shit goalies in the league. Just a complete has-been. For two more years in term, Benning could have signed Toffoli. Any replacement level goalie could have given him what Holtby did this year and Holtby hadn’t even had a good season in 3 years, so that was easy to see coming.

Who the hell signs someone like Jay Beagle for 4 years? A 33 year old useless 4th line plug. Because he was with the Capitals for years and they just won the cup? He isn’t even an acceptable 4th line player.

Reactions: bh53 and Szechwan

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Benning is actually pretty good at scouting and player development. He just isn't cut out for the top job in a front office.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Jim Benning is in the heads of every hockey fan. Ive never seen so many ppl care so much about a GM before. He lives rent free, pretty impressive actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad