Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
It makes no sense letting him stay. If Green isn't coming back, that means Benning will pick the next coach. So if Benning is fired a year from now, the next GM will have to inherit Green's replacement unless that coach also gets fired with Benning next year.
It hasn’t made sense for awhile.

This cap wizard will now be negotiating two major contracts when he can’t even sign fourth liners to market value.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
We don’t have any words and we know you don’t want to hear them. We understand your anger, your frustration, your sadness. Everything you’re feeling – we get it. This isn’t the ending we imagined, and certainly not the one we wanted. Thank you for being there the entire way.

Reactions: Del Preston

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
People don't understand how f***ed this franchise is.

Vancouver is not a sports city and people will avoid a team that's horribly run. The Vancouver Whitecaps have been perpetually near the bottom in spending because of a cheap consortium of billionaires that refuse to invest in the team. That team will likely see record low attendance once fans are given the option to come back. Now the Vancouver Canucks franchise is being run by a spoiled millionaire son who has no idea how to operate a hockey franchise and who now appears to be trying to cut costs in the front office. The Vancouver Canucks org has one of the leanest front offices in the league. The team is going to be near the bottom of the league again next season.

Fans are not going to support the product and the franchise value is probably going to tank.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
People don't understand how f***ed this franchise is.

Vancouver is not a sports city and people will avoid a team that's horribly run. The Vancouver Whitecaps have been perpetually near the bottom in spending because of a cheap consortium of billionaires that refuse to invest in the team. That team will likely see record low attendance once fans are given the option to come back. Now the Vancouver Canucks franchise is being run by a spoiled millionaire son who has no idea how to operate a hockey franchise and who now appears to be trying to cut costs in the front office. The Vancouver Canucks org has one of the leanest front offices in the league. The team is going to be near the bottom of the league again next season.

Fans are not going to support the product and the franchise value is probably going to tank.

I’m with you until that last sentence. Someone I know who has worked with the Aquilinis has made it very clear that, no matter what is said publicly, the primary interest of the family in owning the team is real estate. And given what’s happening with real estate values right now, I doubt we’re going to see tanking value.

The fan apathy will be real though. I can’t stand the Benning Derangement Syndrome from this fan base, but 7 years is enough and I wish they’d clean house.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I’m with you until that last sentence. Someone I know who has worked with the Aquilinis has made it very clear that, no matter what is said publicly, the primary interest of the family in owning the team is real estate. And given what’s happening with real estate values right now, I doubt we’re going to see tanking value.

The fan apathy will be real though. I can’t stand the Benning Derangement Syndrome from this fan base, but 7 years is enough and I wish they’d clean house.

The Aquilini group owns large parcels of lands in the Lower Mainland and Southern Interior. They probably stand to gain a few billion in development deals over the next decade. That said, the Vancouver Canucks franchise can quickly become a liability. The land around the arena has mostly been developed save for the arena itself which doesn't appear to be going anywhere the next 15 years or so.

The fact that Francesco Aquilini is rolling back expenditures in the front office and arena operations staff is pretty telling where the priority lies. If the franchise value begins tanking, the team will get sold.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
The Aquilini group owns large parcels of lands in the Lower Mainland and Southern Interior. They probably stand to gain a few billion in development deals over the next decade. That said, the Vancouver Canucks franchise can quickly become a liability. The land around the arena has mostly been developed save for the arena itself which doesn't appear to be going anywhere the next 15 years or so.

The fact that Francesco Aquilini is rolling back expenditures in the front office and arena operations staff is pretty telling where the priority lies. If the franchise value begins tanking, the team will get sold.
Here’s hoping.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I don't know how to say this, unless you've been in a position where you are dealing with Millions of dollars or operate at least a company that generates around 2 million in money in your pocket per year.

First off I am by no means defending Aquilini, I am not a fan of this guy, but I I've put myself in his situation and I can see the hardships of the hit, he has taken as even as a owner due to covid 19.

Now someone can say, "well he's a billionaire and that's his issue if he didn't manage himself properly to go through another recession that's on all on him blah blah blah.

It's not really like this... the number he is seeing right now is a huge loss without having any ticket sales. The Canuck side of his business is used to pay off his players. Not his other businesses. Canuck ticket sales used to Pay off Canuck players and management.

So right now, that side of the business is taking a huge hit, he needs to compensate that portion through his other business which is really tough since right now, that part is also not doing too well because of Covid 19. The Vancouver Canucks franchise is not really a liability well I guess 31 other NHL clubs right now is a liability to it's owners since right now they will not be generating any revenue for the owners.

Here’s hoping.

no one is stupid enough to a professional sports team right now. Out right dumb investment. Also there is a chance an American owner might buy it, which means Vancouver might flat out lose their team. I've lived through that time before, it's no fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad