Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Maybe Blues paid Canucks to give their prospect more ice time?
Even then. How much could have they possibly paid. I can bet if anything not enough to be dictating what roster decisions are made compared to the owning team. That’s like letting parents that pay their kids college tuitions that make teams over the students selected on scholarships dictate who gets to play because the college isn’t paying for their kid to be there

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Vancouver Canucks are one of the worst run organizations in pro-sports. Anyone that has shown signs at being competent have been shown the door or have fled when they can. Gilman, E. Crawford, Malhotra, Brackett, Clark. Benning is getting too much credit for his drafting.

Whoa, whoa whoa whoa.

Let me present to you, the Buffalo Sabres.

Since 2011:

-Signed Ville Leino to a 6 year, 27M deal after 1 50 pt season to play center, a position he had never played in the NHL (Bought out)
-Signed Cody Hodgson to a 6 year, 24M deal (bought out)
-Signed Ehrhoff to a 10 year, 40M Deal (bought out)
-Traded 2x 2nd round picks, Braydon McNabb for Hudson Fasching and Nick Deslaurier
-Intentionally tanked an entire season to guarantee one of McDavid/Eichel
-Traded a 3rd round pick for the rights to Jimmy Vesey before he turned college UFA (didn't sign)
-Traded RoR for Sobotka, Berglund, Thompson, and a 1st and 2nd round pick (Berglund hated Buffalo so much he walked away from 15M+ remaining on his contract)
-Traded Brendan Guhle and a 1st round pick for Montour (after several meh seasons, he was traded for a 3rd at the deadline)
-Signed Jeff Skinner to a 8 year, 72M deal with a full NMC despite him never having a season above 65 pts
-Hired a NHL coach with 1 strike shorted season head coach experience who had been a soccer executive for the previous 5 years
-Traded another 3rd round pick for Jimmy Vesey (he actually played in Buffalo this time for a single season)
-Traded a 5th round pick for a trade deadline rental Wayne Simmonds despite being nearly certainly a non playoff team (they couldn't make a 24 team playoff)
-Refused to fire a GM (Jason Botterill) who had made several obvious bad trades during his time and team took steps back under his watch
-Then fired that same GM for refusing to fire/furlough most of his staff 2 months later and put in a GM with zero Front office experience at any professional or major amateur level. He was given no AGM, President of Hockey, or Special Advisor to assist with the day to day running of both the NHL and AHL franchise. Many scouts and support staff were also fired. Krueger, the coach with more experience running a soccer club than coaching a NHL team, was given a larger voice in roster decisions.
- The new braintrust assembled a team that finished dead last and had an 18 game losing streak despite signing a former MVP in the offseason
- The players that were acquired from finishing dead last in two consecutive seasons (Reinhart and Eichel, who was intentionally tanked for) both have signaled they are not on board for another rebuild
-Rather than try mend fences or fix the core reason for them wanting to leave (losing), the GM who only NHL experience they have is taking a 25th place team and making it a 31st place team, noted in his season ending press conference that they only wanted players who "wanted to be here"

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Why am i supposed to care not getting a 1st for bieksa 5 years ago? I see whats happening with my team. A great top 6 soon, a #1 dman. Top pick in this years draft and a great goalie signed for 5 years. Crap salarys that will be off the books very soon. I dont have to be a whiny bit*ch like u and most of this forum.

Well he is my gm. Im not the one that makes a new JB curse thread every week on here.

I have no opinion about what you should care about from 5 years ago. I just find it funny that you're on here crusading for Benning because he's "your GM" and it's "your team", with the idea that anyone who is down on the guy does it because they are whiny idiots. You aren't the only Canucks fan dude and those people have as much right as you do to say what they want about "their GM" and "their team"...that's how actual discussions take place.

Instead, 1/4 of this thread is you thinking you have a monopoly over having opinions about Jim Benning and getting mad at anyone who thinks he sucks at his job. Which is ironic because you claim everyone but you is mad. I'm an Oilers fan, I hope Benning stays employed by FA for the next 10 years.

You sound like a oilers fan. Content with sucking for 10 years . Having bad management but getting bailed out with top picks.

Hey! I resent that! :laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

You giving us false hopes. Matt sekeres is the furthest thing from a legit source anything Canuck related. He’s just taking his chances by saying this because it can happen with our team doing so bad for so many years.

Matt sekeres again not a legit source.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bennings biggest achievement are the young core players..His downfall are the UFA players he has signed, which have decimated his cap flexibility.

Speaking of young core players..He picked a beauty in Nils Hoglander..would be a 1st round pick in a redraft..Podkolzin and Hoglander are going to be a treat to watch.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning’s drafting has been good, but his management is otherwise so bad that it doesn’t matter.

I don’t understand how this team is worse than Detroit this year. He has signed multiple of the worst contracts over the past 5 years across the entire league.

I suspect the Canucks will eventually be good since they sucked for long enough to accumulate a lot of young players. Maybe that’s benning’s plan? He’ll sadly be fired before that happens
Covid might have something to do with it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They one lost their head scout from the two notable picks he can hang his reputation on (Pettersson and Hughes). And, two, when you are drafting in the top 10 consistently, you should get good players. He also used top 10 picks on Juolevi over M. Tkachuk and took Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. Those aren't even hindsight picks, most fans would have taken those guys over who Benning left the draft with.
I seem to recall a lot of deliberation at the leafs table at the 2014 draft..They were not entirely convinced that Nylander was their guy, or Nick Ritchie was.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Calgary and New York can maybe make an argument their front office has more dumb ass goobers per capita.

I was gonna ask, "Which New York", and then realized it doesn't make sense either way.

Still trying to figure out how you can amass a group of talent like Gorton did and then get a brown box and a kick in the ass as a, "Thank you." Dolan is the king goober.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And what was the final result?
Great pick for the Leafs (he was my pick for the Canucks that year)..I was just trying to demonstrate that even the leafs picking Nylander was no slam dunk decision...a lot of bad picks in the top 10 that year.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Even if Sekeres is full of shit again, at least he has legit hockey people like Lalji talking about it. Hopefully the media takes this and runs Benning out of town with it.

Reactions: CanuckCity

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Even if Sekeres is full of shit again, at least he has legit hockey people like Lalji talking about it. Hopefully the media takes this and runs Benning out of town with it.
Even the media knows that if the team continues to be crap, then people will stop paying attention and their ratings are going to drop. They need the team to be somewhat relevant and that is more important than having a friendly GM that will be nice to them.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
How about the countless posts on this site about Toffoli being just a 20 goal scorer while you could easily there was so much more potential and the fact he was playing for LA.

These same people are probably making fun of Benning now.

Toffoli made the Oilers' Eakins era swarm look silly several times. With raw talent. Incredibly under utilized player until now.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Benning brought up players this week he cant use. What kind of GM looses track of how many call ups he has?? This guys incompetence is unbelievable

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
It’s not hard to draft 1st round picks that make the nhl when you’re constantly drafting top 10. Right now he has hit on 2/4 top 10 picks. Virtanen is a bust relative to draft position. Juolevi is a bust. You could literally have a random schmuck pulled off the st that knows nothing about hockey, give him bob mckenzie’s mock draft list with a brief description of the players and hit just as well when picking top 10. This doesn’t even include how Benning had to be vetoed by linden into picking pettersson

Juolevi just turned 23 years old and looked solid in the sheltered minutes he had this year. He will almost certainly never be as good as the four players taken after him, but after working through some injuries early in his career, he will likely carve out a spot for himself in the NHL. Again, I am more focused on Benning's ability to convert draft picks with value into players with value. (Boeser at 23, Hoglander at 40, Demko at 36, ect.).

The Canucks history is quite painful on this account, with such gems as Shinkaruk at 24, Gaunce at 26, Jensen at 29, Schroeder at 22, Patrick White at 25, Ellington at 33, ect. And those are all just between 2007 and 2013! Comparing different eras of Canucks drafting is pretty night and day, with huge stretches of drafting just being an absolute waste. So far with Benning, he has left every draft with a quality NHL player even if he missed better players he could have taken.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad