Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Bergevin isn't a good GM, but Benning legit comes across as incompetent at basic tasks required of a GM. He's the guy in your fantasy football league who drops a top player because they are on a bye.
Whatever, if he stays or goes im pretty happy with the core we have. Plus adding a top 10 pick this year seems like a bonus. Personally pretty excited to see how this team looks when petey and quinn are like in their mid 20s

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No doubt his drafting record is better than previous Canucks GMs. I think most Canucks fans would be okay with him being a scout. Probably not a head scout, because he's a little too old school for that, but he'd make a decent scout. Everything else a GM needs to do, he is terrible at.
They one lost their head scout from the two notable picks he can hang his reputation on (Pettersson and Hughes). And, two, when you are drafting in the top 10 consistently, you should get good players. He also used top 10 picks on Juolevi over M. Tkachuk and took Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. Those aren't even hindsight picks, most fans would have taken those guys over who Benning left the draft with.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Theres so many more bone headed things he has done over seven seasons, it boggles the mind. He has no plan at all and clearly cant multitask.

Dont forget his regimes strength was drafting, but now Brackett is gone. The team has been kept competitive the last few seasons by goaltending masking the weak defense.....and now there is still no offer for Ian Clark. Boggles the mind

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
There's very little question as to if he's the worst GM in the league, but there is absolutely no question that he is the least intelligent.

Reactions: Fatass

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's weird that several hockey men who were part of the bruins brain trust that won the cup were also in the room pushing Chiarelli into the Seguin trade, and are now considered horribly incompetent.

On the other hand, who cares about toffoli. He's not going to make or break your team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Benning traded a 2nd round pick + Tyler Madden, whom insiders said had a value of a late 1st to early 2nd round pick at the time around the league, for 2 months of Toffoli. Toffoli comes in and instantly fits in and is one of our top players. Benning proceeds to not even make an offer to a player that wanted to end his career here after pissing away top assets for him.

Not that I'm a Benning proponent, but 2nd+prospect tends to be the going rate for most deadline rentals of Toffoli's ilk. It's not like he's the only GM who's ever done that sort of deal without the intention of extending the player. As much as we think it's Cup or bust, sometimes there's an ownership directive to make the playoffs. Back in the day, many teams didn't turn a profit for the year without a round (or two) of home playoff revenue.

The Covid shutdown was a curveball for everybody. If I recall correctly, Brock Boeser was out with an injury and wasn't projected to return until the very end of the regular season / beginning of the playoffs. Maybe the trade doesn't happen if the league had shut down a couple weeks earlier?

Covid wrecked a lot of teams' plans with the flat cap. I'm sure there's teams who were anticipating the 3-4 million increase and had to change their plans.

Reactions: BCNate

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Not that I'm a Benning proponent, but 2nd+prospect tends me the going rate for most deadline rentals of Toffoli's ilk. It's not like he's the only GM who's ever done that sort of deal without the intention of extending the player. As much as we think it's Cup or bust, sometimes there's an ownership directive to make the playoffs. Back in the day, many teams didn't turn a profit for the year without a round (or two) of home playoff revenue.

The Covid shutdown was a curveball for everybody. If I recall correctly, Brock Boeser was out with an injury and wasn't projected to return until the very end of the regular season / beginning of the playoffs. Maybe the trade doesn't happen if the league had shut down a couple weeks earlier?

Covid wrecked a lot of teams' plans with the flat cap. I'm sure there's teams who were anticipating the 3-4 million increase and had to change their plans.
Canucks we’re definitely one of those teams

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
He isn't a great GM but part of the issue is ownership tying his hands regarding this year's payroll budget. It will be interesting to see what, if any, front office moves are made this off-season. EP and QH's contracts are up and they are coming off less than stellar seasons. What kind of contract each merits, especially QH (-25 +/-) is subject to much conjecture. Good luck to the new GM if a change is made.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
MS on our board put it succinctly. The following is based on just one day of Jim Benning’s incompetence.

Today in the Wonderful World of Jim Benning :

1) Official confirmation that we didn't even make an offer to the player 7th in the NHL in goals this year for $4 million because we were too busy signing a backup goalie for $5 million and trying to trade for a negative-value OEL contract!

2) Word that we can't play the prospects we called up in the closing games because the team mucked up their recall numbers!

3) We're being bullied out of starting our prospects on our AHL team THAT WE OWN by the team that is loaning players to us because they don't have a team!

Just another day. Anyone who has ever defended this stupid lump of shit should be ashamed.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
It's weird that several hockey men who were part of the bruins brain trust that won the cup were also in the room pushing Chiarelli into the Seguin trade, and are now considered horribly incompetent.

On the other hand, who cares about toffoli. He's not going to make or break your team.

Well rounded 2-way player who's a top-10 goal scorer in this f***ed up season, but yeah, who cares.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Firing Benning and hiring Gorton would be an easy PR boost for the Aquilini’s

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
No. Milbury will forever have that title. Benning isn't great but isn't nearly at Milbury's level of incompetence.

Benning had no choice in a lot of moves that he made last offseason because he hamstrung himself into stupid contracts with Eriksson and a few bottom-6ers. In many ways, he took a step back so that he could afford Hughes, Demko, and Pettersson the next offseason.

tbf milbury was a way better gm than benning

he worked for the insanest ownership group of all time, gave away an all-star team, and still managed to put together a lovable and entertaining team that made the playoffs three years in a row.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Spoiled fans had a tantrum when their team had a bad 30-game stretch after winning 5 straight division titles and traded two goalies in a 'goalie fiasco'.

Both of those goalie trades turned into landslide wins for the team, but Gillis was fired because of them.
Gillis reportedly wanted a rebuild back in 2013 but the owners thought it was a bad idea. They argued and argued and the owners eventually fired Gillis a year later after the team missed the playoffs anyways. Then came the self quoted "impatient Benning" who wanted wins right away and BAM here we are, competing with the Sabres for joke of the league

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
There's very little question as to if he's the worst GM in the league, but there is absolutely no question that he is the least intelligent.
Jim-Benning-draft.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad