Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
They one lost their head scout from the two notable picks he can hang his reputation on (Pettersson and Hughes). And, two, when you are drafting in the top 10 consistently, you should get good players. He also used top 10 picks on Juolevi over M. Tkachuk and took Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. Those aren't even hindsight picks, most fans would have taken those guys over who Benning left the draft with.
Further more:

Most crippling moves to the future from each year.

- picking Virtanen 6th, a meathead with a busted up shoulder
- Kesler deal which lead to Bonino )who we used to overpay for Sutter), Sbisa who we gave a crippling contract to and 24th overall(McCann) (who we then used for Gudbranson). That Kesler trade created multiple disasters. Literally would of been better off just terminating Kes's contract and letting him go for free. Like actually..
-2nd for Vey

- Bonino + 2nd rd pick + Clendenning(got for Forsling who still plays) for Sutter and a 3rd. Sutter crippling contract ensued. Good man, good player, I can't and won't hate on Sutter.
- Baertschi for 2nd
- Sbisa + Sutter big extensions ensued
-Willie D as coach
- Embarrassing playoff birth during the Mcdavid draft.. Projected deepest draft since 2003 and we pick 23rd and go pickless in round 2. What a troll job

- McCann + 2nd + 4th for Gudbranson + 5th
- Juolevi pick
- The holy grail. Sir Loui Eriksson, signed 6 x 6. This ****in guy is still on our roster. A blood sucking leech, essentially.
- Two straight drafts without a 2nd round pick at the beginning of a very important transitioning stage for the franchise

^^^^ This is when I realized that we truly heading in to a dark time.

Apathy kicked in 2017

- I'll never forget the Gagner signing, my personal most underrated "wtf" moment. Just such an unnecessary signing for too much term and too much money. We didn't need the player nor the contract. 3 years x 3.15 mil
- Delzotto almost the same feeling but got 1 less year on his deal at least. 2 years x 3 mil for a 6/7 d-man
- Gudbranson extension 1 year x 3.5. So you have one more year to realize he's a #6 d-man.

2017 might of been Benning's least destructive year but the damage had already been done

-Roussel 4yrs x 3 mil
- Beagle 4yrs x 3 mil
- Schaller 2yrs x 1.9mil .... like wtf, why?
- Gudbranson big extension after finding out he's a #6 d-man 3yrs x 4 mil
- Baertschi extension 3 yrs x 3.3 mil

Hughes falls into Jim's lap at the 2018 draft so all is forgotten and the casuals remain pleased

- Ferland 4 yrs x 3.5 mil. Signing a player with concussion history to come in and play heavy. Goes well with Virtanen and his bunged up shoulder I guess? Benning likes his damaged goods.
-On a serious note, hoping nothing but the best for Ferland as someone who has suffered PCS for approx 7 years myself I hope it goes away for him asap. No fun. I could easily see this one coming, judging his recovery timelines etc etc I've been there done that.
- Myers 5 yrs x 6 mil Too soon? Alright well let's revisit in like a year

- Getting in to a touchy subject here with the JT Miller deal but I am sorry folks, Miller is not the type of guy you want in the room or around any of your young players. His attitude can be a positive at times, I like his don't give an F attitude, he's one of those guys who grows 2 inches and 40 pounds when he's angry, great player but no, the sulking, the whining, the arrogance, the giving up babyish attitude he has when things don't go his way, the defensive zone turnovers happen because of his attitude. HE thinks he is above others, he doesn't need to make the safe smart play out of the zone he can try to exit with a fancy pass or an unorthodox clearing attempt

Do we really think Benning is going out getting good deals in trades? Do we really think other Gm's love JT when he's already been traded twice? This is Benning we are talking about here. He got fleeced.

If the extra sulking from Miller this year is because of offseason decisions made by Dim Jim and the crew then yes I will reserve a bit judgment on the matter because an enemy of gmjb is a friend of mine but I just feel like he's frustrated with the whole year in general covid included, but so is ****ing everybody else so either suck it up and quit bitching or take your leave of absence.

I would trade JT for assets asap except then that means I'm asking gmjb to trade JT for assets asap. No bueno

Thankfully Benning has mainly run out of assets to give away and has no money left to spend but he still did his worst

Madden + 2nd for Toffoli for 10 games............................... Resigned Jake
Holtby 2yrs x 4.4 mil
0 first round picks
0 second round picks

ZERO PICKS IN THE TOP 80

Benning has publically been trying to remain competitive, get to the playoffs each year, create a safe work environment and acquire youth. He has done none of this all while spending 3/4 of a BILLION dollars and recording the worst record in the NHL during his tenure. We have acquired some youth simply by finishing last and taking high rated prospects. We are at where we are now in terms of youth simply because time has passed

We are doing worse than teams who are publically not trying to win games, not remain competitive, not get to the playoffs and are spending as little money as possible. That is the definition of how and why someone should be fired...you're doing worse than teams that are trying to do worse than you

More crap from the earlier years 2014-2017.

3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendenning
4th + Pedan(3rd) for Pouliot
5th + Kassian for Prust(2.5mil)
Jensen + 6th for Etem.
5th for Larsen

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Benning is too busy being literally interested in EVERYONE besides the players he already has. No wonder Toffoli was ignored. Benning was in on everyone and had no time for him.

Reactions: bh53

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Cause mike gillis left us what? Bo horvat and nothing else is the right answer
Absolute nonsense that needs to end. Please re think such poor poor logic:

Gillis left Benning with the following desirable and non-expiring assets:
33yr Daniel Sedin
33yr Henrik Sedin
29yr Ryan Kesler
30yr Chris Higgins
32yr Alex Burrows
32yr Kevin Bieksa
31yr Dan Hamhuis
27yr Janik Hansen
24yr Chris Tanev
25yr Shawn Matthias
27yr Alex Edler

By 2021 Benning turned this into:
33yr Daniel Sedin - Good feelings

33yr Henrik Sedin - Good feelings

29yr Ryan Kesler +2016 33ovrall - Brandon Sutter, Derek Dorsett (had to retire, so no fault to Benning), Tanner Pearson and Will Lockwood

30yr Chris Higgins - Nothing

32yr Alex Burrows - Linus Karlsson

32yr Kevin Bieksa - Will Lockwood

31yr Dan Hamhuis - Nothing

27yr Janik Hansen - Nothing

24yr Chris Tanev - Nothing

25yr Shawn Matthias - Nothing

27yr Alex Edler - Older Alex Edler

29yr Jason Garrison - Nothing

25yr Yannick Weber - Nothing

Scream NMC if you like, but the fact is 9 of these 13 players were eventually traded after rotting on the vine for virtually nothing or switched teams in free agency. NMC doesn't mean unmoveable, it means the player has the choice. It's up to management to convince them that a better life awaits them on a new team than with the Canucks.

The value left to rot on the vine here is considerable.

Additionally, Mike Santorelli was allowed to walk. He signed a very affordable contract with Toronto and was then traded along with Cody Franson for a 1st round pick, Leipsic and the final gasp of Olli Jokinen.

To say that Mike Gillis left Jim Benning with nothing is demonstrably false. The truth is that Jim Benning did nothing with what he was left.

Reactions: bh53

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Benning would have to suck at drafting to be considered the worst GM. He doesn't. In fact, he's been better at drafting for the last few years than any GM in the league.

He infuriates me. So bad, yet so good. If he traded and managed assets as well as he drafts, he'd be tops in the league.

Reactions: Xanlet

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah he got nothing cause they were worth nothing.
Perhaps a competent GM could have aquired some assets with those pieces. Unfortunately Benning is not fit for the job as these seven years of failure have shown

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
Another Edmonton boy further tarnishing the already tarnished Canucks franchise. Dem good ‘ol Berta boys done make me proud....
CDC356BE-4D43-45E8-9C71-CC552D665899.jpeg
846CE3D0-B4BD-430A-8680-CED3E722A043.jpeg

Reactions: Del Preston

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Bergevin and Benning are battling it out for who can survive the longest while providing nothing for their teams but misery. Bergevin has a slight advantage because he’s used Covid seasons to secure a job. But it’s up in the air for whose the absolute worst between a few teams.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Bergevin and Benning are battling it out for who can survive the longest while providing nothing for their teams but misery. Bergevin has a slight advantage because he’s used Covid seasons to secure a job. But it’s up in the air for whose the absolute worst between a few teams.
How is the canucks top 6 misery? Quinn and demko addibg a top 10 pick this year? Not sure you know what real misery is

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Yup, easily worst in the game right now (others historically have been worse).

Was just talking about the near OEL trade last year with my buddy who's a Nucks fan. He says now that Virtanen may never play again, maybe Dim Jim nearly accidentally won a trade... Virtanen + other assets + getting rid of Eriksson for OEL might actually be feasible. But I reminded him that several rumoured scenarios involved *not* Virtanen.

Imagine this debacle of a Nucks roster with $14 mil tied up annualy between Myers and OEL, no Rathbone and no 1st round pick.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Benning would have to suck at drafting to be considered the worst GM. He doesn't. In fact, he's been better at drafting for the last few years than any GM in the league.

He infuriates me. So bad, yet so good. If he traded and managed assets as well as he drafts, he'd be tops in the league.

Benning’s drafting has been good, but his management is otherwise so bad that it doesn’t matter.

I don’t understand how this team is worse than Detroit this year. He has signed multiple of the worst contracts over the past 5 years across the entire league.

I suspect the Canucks will eventually be good since they sucked for long enough to accumulate a lot of young players. Maybe that’s benning’s plan? He’ll sadly be fired before that happens

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Cause mike gillis left us what? Bo horvat and nothing else is the right answer

Quality vets lmao mmmk

for the benefit of anyone who's reading this who, unlike canucks fans, haven't followed every move, this is what benning did with the stable of vets he inherited—

pieces of real value

kesler, had two more selke finalist seasons left — traded for nick bonino, luca sbisa (anaheim's sixth best young dman), and the lower of their two first round picks (used on jared mccann)

a year later, bonino (who had two more years on a $1.9 AAV and would go on to immediately score 25 pts over back to back cup runs) was downgraded to brandon sutter (one year left on a $3.3 AAV, only before even playing a game he given a five year $4.475 AAV extension with trade protection for no reason), with benning also sweetening the deal with a 2nd rounder (from the bieksa trade, more on this later) and swapping adam clendening for a 3rd

the 24th overall pick (anaheim also had the #10) was used to take jared mccann, who a year later was packaged with a 2nd and a 4th for erik gudbranson and a 5th

gudbranson was given a one year $3 AAV extension, then a three year $4 AAV extension before being traded for tanner pearson, who himself got a three year $3.25 AAV extension in the same year we couldn't afford to keep toffoli, tanev, markstrom, or stecher
garrison, immediately went on two deep runs as tampa's #3 dman (finals, then game 7 of the ECF) — traded for a 2nd rounder, which was then immediately traded for linden vey

bieksa — traded for a 2nd rounder, which was used as the sweetener to downgrade bonino to sutter

hamhuis — walked to UFA, signed with dallas, played until last year

burrows — traded for jonathan dahlen, who never played

hansen — traded for nikolai goldobin and a 4th, which was then traded for a 5th and a 6th

pieces of minor value

brad richardson, walked to UFA, signed with phoenix, is still in the NHL six years later

shawn matthias, walked to UFA, signed with the leafs, who then traded him for a 4th

higgins — played a regular shift the first year, then demoted to the minors in year two, probably could have gotten something for him before he fell off a cliff

pieces we kept longerm

edler — still there today, was our #1 in icetime in last year's playoffs

tanev — held onto him for five years, was our #3 in icetime in last year's playoffs and babysat quinn hughes before letting him walk

then there are the non-veteran pieces: horvat (our captain and leading goal scorer in last year's playoffs), markstrom (our MVP last year, 4th in vezina voting), eddie lack (who was traded for a 3rd and a 7th), and zack kassian (traded with a 5th for toxic human garbage, rehabilitated to back to back 15 goal seasons before falling off this year)

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Jimbo is an awful GM who gets credited for picks his previous scouting group actually made and a team president died for (Linden). He is absolute garbage, a true old boys club member.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Just wait what Jimbo does in July. And this is the year he needs to draft poorly, can't manage to draft well every year. Unsustainable.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He’s got to go. I’m not a blind hater and will credit his strengths, but it’s time.

This team will go no where with him at the helm.

Jim “Meat and Potatoes” Benning is a dinosaur, not fit for how modern game is run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad