Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Now there have been countless stories on Benning's mismanagement of the team, especially lately. This has to take the cake though.

I Was Meant To Be a Hab | By Tyler Toffoli

That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business, I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am.

Benning traded a 2nd round pick + Tyler Madden, whom insiders said had a value of a late 1st to early 2nd round pick at the time around the league, for 2 months of Toffoli. Toffoli comes in and instantly fits in and is one of our top players. Benning proceeds to not even make an offer to a player that wanted to end his career here after pissing away top assets for him.

Stetcher and Tanev both said this happened to them too this past offseason. In their cases, they were told to wait and the Canucks would get back to them. They waited a few days and never heard back so they ended up signing with other teams. With Tanev, once Benning got wind of Chris signing elsewhere, He tried calling Tanev but Tanev ignored his calls due to the lack of communication leaving him feeling disrespected.

Benning did deny the stories about Tanev and Stetcher, saying he made them offers and was in constant communication with them, but where theres smoke theres fire. Thats now 3 players + Friedman who have said this management just waits and waits and does nothing unless they are 100% committed to the player. Thats when they get things done right away like they did with Demko and Pearson. We saw this with Tryamkin 2 years in a row as well.

Hard to believe Benning when JT Miller has to publicly come out and be the voice of the team for their return to play. It turned out what happened with their return was the original plan if players didnt feel well enough after their 1st skate back, it just wasn't communicated to the players properly. This has soured quite a few players on this management team.

Its not just the players that get dicked around. the coach has too. It was reported the Canucks made an offer to Green a few weeks ago when they were in Toronto. Everyone knew it was the Canucks leaking this as reports surfaced 1-2 weeks before this that the Canucks would make an offer when they are in Toronto. Then the next week after the reported offer was made it came into question as to whether the Canucks actually tabled an offer! Now it has been confirmed they havent made an offer at all to Green!

So Benning has a clear history of lying to the media and having poor communicational skills. I would not trust anything he says.

To summarize, Benning has been in charge of the front office for 7 years now. In 5 of 6 end of year pressers, he has come out and used injuries and depth as an excuse for those 5 poor seasons. How has he identified a clear issue (depth) and not been able to address it in 7 years? The GM has been caught with his pants down saying he ran out of time, but then when asked about timelines for upcoming decisions he says he's not worried about it right now because he has a lot of time (in the case of the quote it was around 2 weeks he had to sign or trade Pearson). He has made sure to ruin relationships with past and current players with his inability to pick up a phone and communicate and then publicly call them liars when he's been exposed. He's proven he cant even follow basic NHL rules when he was charged for tampering by talking about PK Subban in an interview.

He cant even construct a roster. Our worst 6 skaters have a higher cap hit combined compared to our best 6!

Can anyone really say there is a worse GM and or front office after this year?

EDIT: word is coming out our best goalie prospect (dipietro) missed games on our farm team SOLELY owned and operated by the Canucks because we allowed the STL Blues to loan their players to our team since their affiliate opted out, and that they wanted their goalie to play more games. Now this guy is mismanaging his own prospects in favour of other teams for absolutely 0 reason!

this is actually just unbelievable

it keeps getting worse. Green confirmed gadjovich and Lockwood are ineligible to play the rest of this season as the Canucks are out of call ups. How does Benning not know this before he sent these guys off to quarantine and miss ahl games and practices?!?

May as well botch all our prospects careers since he can’t do it any further with the nhl team

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Calgary and New York can maybe make an argument their front office has more dumb ass goobers per capita.
I dont think so. Benning fired or let go anyone that was actually good at their job and replaced them with yes men. The reason being was that there needs to be less opinions and different voices and more like minded thinking

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
How about the countless posts on this site about Toffoli being just a 20 goal scorer while you could easily there was so much more potential and the fact he was playing for LA.

These same people are probably making fun of Benning now.
If Benning thought that of toffoli why would he pay the value of at least 2 2nd round picks for 2 months of toffoli? After toffoli goes ppg in Vancouver, why not even make an offer even if it was somewhat of a lowball? I expected toffoli to get 5M and the Canucks could have fit that in if they let markstrom walk and have not signed Holtby to his horrible contract. 4.25M could have easily fit. Hell toffoli probably would have taken a hometown discount from the 4.25M based off his public comments

Reactions: Jeremy2020

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I am hopeless homer (educated at the school of John Garrett) who wasted a lot of time defending some of Benning's moves, hoping like hell that they would turn out better than I expected. At this point, I have been disappointed by this management team so many times, I can't help but want the whole lot of them kicked to the curb. Once you take off the rose-colored glasses, it's painfully obvious just how many incredibly stupid moves this man made. I'm not wrapped up in the hyperbole of an "anti-Benning" agenda, so I can at least give the guy some credit, but the poor decisions outweigh the good. And, in all honesty, the actually hockey moves are secondary to the complete lack of intelligence in running a competent business that cares about it's brand, it's culture and, most importantly, it's people.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We needed this confirmed? It’s well established for a while now.

possibly the worst GM in the modern history of the NHL.

No. Milbury will forever have that title. Benning isn't great but isn't nearly at Milbury's level of incompetence.

Benning had no choice in a lot of moves that he made last offseason because he hamstrung himself into stupid contracts with Eriksson and a few bottom-6ers. In many ways, he took a step back so that he could afford Hughes, Demko, and Pettersson the next offseason.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The Vancouver Canucks are one of the worst run organizations in pro-sports. Anyone that has shown signs at being competent have been shown the door or have fled when they can. Gilman, E. Crawford, Malhotra, Brackett, Clark. Benning is getting too much credit for his drafting.

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
He is the worst of GMs and the best of GMs. I completely agree with the mismanagement of pro contracts and the disrespect towards players, but in another critical area to the success of a team he has been the best GM probably in Canucks history. What is that area? Drafting.

The Canucks drafting history is abysmal, with many drafts containing zero actual NHL players. Year after year we've seen first round picks wasted on the likes of Brendan Gaunce (16 points in 118 games), Nicklas Jensen (6 points in 31 games), Nathan Smith (0 points in 26 games), Josh Holden (14 points in 60 games), Libor Polasek (0 NHL games), Alex Stojanov (7 points in 107 games), Jason Herter (only played 1 NHL game), Dan Woodley (2 points in 5 games) and on and on and on.

Benning has come in and selected some of the best rookies in Canucks history in Boeser (23rd overall pick), Petterson (5th overall pick), Hughes (7th overall pick) along with some amazing picks in later rounds like Hoglander, Demko, Gaudette, Rathbone and others. Even his drafting "misses" have managed to make the NHL with Virtanen at over 300 games and Juolevi starting to rack up some games this season.

As a Canucks fan its just refreshing to see first round picks that actually play in the NHL. Don't take that for granted, and don't forget what it's like to have GMs who are bad at drafting.

Canucklehead94

Jul 5, 2012
He is the worst of GMs and the best of GMs. I completely agree with the mismanagement of pro contracts and the disrespect towards players, but in another critical area to the success of a team he has been the best GM probably in Canucks history. What is that area? Drafting.

The Canucks drafting history is abysmal, with many drafts containing zero actual NHL players. Year after year we've seen first round picks wasted on the likes of Brendan Gaunce (16 points in 118 games), Nicklas Jensen (6 points in 31 games), Nathan Smith (0 points in 26 games), Josh Holden (14 points in 60 games), Libor Polasek (0 NHL games), Alex Stojanov (7 points in 107 games), Jason Herter (only played 1 NHL game), Dan Woodley (2 points in 5 games) and on and on and on.

Benning has come in and selected some of the best rookies in Canucks history in Boeser (23rd overall pick), Petterson (5th overall pick), Hughes (7th overall pick) along with some amazing picks in later rounds like Hoglander, Demko, Gaudette, Rathbone and others. Even his drafting "misses" have managed to make the NHL with Virtanen at over 300 games and Juolevi starting to rack up some games this season.

As a Canucks fan its just refreshing to see first round picks that actually play in the NHL. Don't take that for granted, and don't forget what it's like to have GMs who are bad at drafting.

No doubt his drafting record is better than previous Canucks GMs. I think most Canucks fans would be okay with him being a scout. Probably not a head scout, because he's a little too old school for that, but he'd make a decent scout. Everything else a GM needs to do, he is terrible at.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
The Vancouver Canucks are one of the worst run organizations in pro-sports. Anyone that has shown signs at being competent have been shown the door or have fled when they can. Gilman, E. Crawford, Malhotra, Brackett, Clark. Benning is getting too much credit for his drafting.

It's undoubtedly time for a change, but if you genuinely think the Canucks are the worst run organisation in sports then you evidently don't watch much sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad