OT: Beer Thread II

scryan

May 1, 2013
Probably not. :(

I bet it will vary from place to place, ect... But the last place I saw with Self Righteous and Levitation were stater brothers. Those two disappeared there way after they disappeared everywhere else, with a fresh enjoy by date too. If your gonna go looking, I would make sure its on the list of places you check.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
TapRoom21_Beers_Belgian_White_bottle-04.png

scryan

May 1, 2013
I think this Ruination 2.0 is one of my more favorite common beers. Really like this combination of hops.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I went to Beer and Sausage festival in Cherry Valley yesterday, and I had the opportunity to try a few So Cal breweries I didn't even know about. I was pretty impressed with all four selections from Wick's Brewing. The Bard's song, Squire, Paladin and Battle Cry were all tasty, complex, yet super easy drinking.

Captain Mittens*

Anyone go to Taste of Brews in Long Beach over the weekend? It was good but not sure if I'll go next year. $40 is a lot of money to drink 1 ounce pours. If the 5 friends I went with bought $40 worth of craft beer each, we could have had one hell of a party!

I picked up a bottle of this over the weekend and it's pretty damn good!

tumblr_md4xu259EK1qd0jy3.jpg

I have had that beer. Insanely good, but I do love saisons

Captain Mittens*

Bottle-Logic-Brewing-Tattered-Prince-6-1024x869.jpg

:handclap:

I don't really like saisons actually, but this has been favorite so far (of the few I try).

Thank you. I have been meaning to head there. I tried their POG ipa at a beer festival, it was the ****. I need to go there now.

What did you like about this vs other saisons?

scryan

May 1, 2013
Thank you. I have been meaning to head there. I tried their POG ipa at a beer festival, it was the ****. I need to go there now.

What did you like about this vs other saisons?

I don't even remember tbh.

I like IPAs a good bit, but otherwise light colored beers that are more or less base malts and yeast flavors are not my preference... But I had their mini flight that is 5 of their core beers and it was in it, and about half way through (the glass, not the flight), I found myself really enjoying it. Most other saisons are like "yup, thats a saison... I don't really like those" :D

Currently we're subletting a shop thats like 2 minutes from Bottle Logic, so we make it over there a bit. They are ****ing delicious with hops. They usually do a pretty solid milk stout, and their porters are alright but very few tap rooms get real serious with dark beers I found...

Noble is great too, and only a short distance away... You should definitely hit them both.

Captain Mittens*

I don't even remember tbh.

I like IPAs a good bit, but otherwise light colored beers that are more or less base malts and yeast flavors are not my preference... But I had their mini flight that is 5 of their core beers and it was in it, and about half way through (the glass, not the flight), I found myself really enjoying it. Most other saisons are like "yup, thats a saison... I don't really like those" :D

Currently we're subletting a shop thats like 2 minutes from Bottle Logic, so we make it over there a bit. They are ****ing delicious with hops. They usually do a pretty solid milk stout, and their porters are alright but very few tap rooms get real serious with dark beers I found...

Noble is great too, and only a short distance away... You should definitely hit them both.

Will do

OK. So I looked it up and I think you like the hop and also that it spiced. A saison usually relies on its yeast for flavor, which is usually pepper and earth
Those spices ate usually used in a wit or Christmas beer.

That Sorachi ace is a great hop. It is really lemony. It is usln some ipas. I think that is why you like it.

This traditional Saison is brewed with new world ingredients such as Sorachi Ace hops, fresh ground ginger, coriander, orange peel, and then fermented with an authentic French farmhouse yeast. Tattered Prince takes the standard Saison and adds citrus and spice complexity.

Last edited by a moderator:

scryan

May 1, 2013
Speaking of which, Noble has an imperial stout right now apparently... And I need to try their Citra Showers...

scryan

May 1, 2013
Just to be cheap, and because a co-worker was talking about it, I picked up some Sam Adams Rebel IPA.

There may be some truth to the fact that my taste buds are fairly blown out... As I grew up eating skittle and sour candy, always felt weird through my 20s buying candy and belgian doubles at the same time, and now greatly prefer stouts that can block light with a single drop, and hugely over hopped IPAs, dry and pungent as possible.

But jesus. It took me 3/4 a beer to taste hops. Couldn't smell much, and it basically tasted like base malt and caramel 60? A brewer friend of mine was *****ing that caramel malts have no place in a good ipa, and that super dry base malts was the answer to showcase hops. I think I am REALLY starting to agree.
I don't know what I think of Sam Adams. You hear reports that they are so great, because they share so much with smaller brewers, and help re-allocate some of their excess hops to the needy... Kinda sound like they are just selling off surplus? Same **** of having a bunch of breweries hide under different names when they are the same corporation. Greg Cook seems like a dumbass, but respect for his passion.
Though to be honest, with refined expectation this has a nice semi fruity hop character. Probably not buying more rebel anytime soon, I tend to look to Sierra Nevada for a budget 12 pack... but meh ok.
I should buy more Deschutes Black Butte porter?

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Modern Times has a beer thats new to me called Oneida. It has a really smooth set of hops over a IPA base. It has some newly manipulated experimental hops and delivers all the fruity aromas and a hop bite and manages to not be "Pinesol-ion" at the finish. Plays very nicely with food.

Last edited:

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
No, there is a session and a regular IPA too as I remember. Ain't it a great days when there are this many beers to swill.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
f9467e1819af9d93b99872b30c937211_640x640.jpg
16a55684eef20ee2d6fb5755da0ac68b_640x640.jpg

I got to try these the other night. Brand new brewery that is trying to open up next year near my town. The nose on the Galassia was incredible; all you could smell was tropical fruit (mango, papaya, guava etc) and grapefruit. It was made as a Saison IPA, but according to the brewer falls more in line with an imperial IPA. Unlike anything I've ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad