OT: Beer Thread II

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Duvel, the Belgium brewery? I really like Duvel, and their Tripel Hop even more, so this might be a good thing. They really know beer.

Yeah, sorry, Duvel.
FW is a really modern facility. I would also think there would be Duvel brands brewed there soon. I hear a Lagunitas brewery in Irwindale area too. ...
Proof God loves us.

scryan

May 1, 2013
02-beers-primary-CBTS.png

So damn disappointed.

The date code is 15223 where we would be at 15248 now (year followed by jullian date), so 25 days since bottling... It tastes old.
Possibly my fault, I was really hoping for a "cheap" 6 pack of Naughty Sauce, as its a similar concept, but really not that comparable. You can taste the malt much more in the Ballast Point beer, and the coffee is significantly flatter, I dunno just much less rich. Noble IIRC uses some special process which was the only part of their beers they weren't looking to go into from the interview I remember from them... Perhaps that really makes the difference, the nitro may really help too... and It may also just be a more conservative approach by Ballast Point.

Not outright bad, but I have been meaning to pick it up for a while... and not quite what I expected.

Captain Mittens*

Cream Ales are an art. IMO, the best one out there is Summer Solstice.

From reading the label and your description, it looks like they tried too hard.
I understand the vanilla but question the coffee

scryan

May 1, 2013
Its mostly coffee, but then the one that I reference is as well. I think the idea started by trying to make a golden stout? Regardless, its like a mediocre coffee, mixed into a pale ale... maybe with less hops, considering the coffee brings its own bitterness. Its just not rich enough. That is why I say it may be at a disadvantage not being on nitro, but even then the coffee is just not deep or that enjoyable.
The vanilla, to me at least, is much more of a side note on the aftertaste... I think its there to kind of help coat the mouth and add a creamy feel, but isn't heavy enough to give much flavor. I guess vanilla isn't typically an overwhelming flavor anyways...

Still not trying to say its bad, just that I was hoping it would be a lot better... because it could be.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
I'm getting a beer care package in a few days, and in them are Ballast Point's Sculpin and Habanero Sculpin. So damn excited to try them. Also have some Lagunitas, Stone, Green Flash, Southern Tier and Dogfish Head in it. Gonna be a good few weeks for me :naughty::D:partytime:

kingscups

Jun 5, 2008
California
I'm getting a beer care package in a few days, and in them are Ballast Point's Sculpin and Habanero Sculpin. So damn excited to try them. Also have some Lagunitas, Stone, Green Flash, Southern Tier and Dogfish Head in it. Gonna be a good few weeks for me :naughty::D:partytime:

That habanero Sculpin sounds good. I work right next to Left Coast Brewery, and occasionally walk over to their tasting room, anyway they had an anaheim chili beer that was really good. The heat from the chilis was mild and more of an aftertaste, I wonder if the Sculpin is similar?

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I had this over the weekend. The Australian hops were mellow to me. A tasty beer all around.
93fdd010cad734a4a03c9435b96ba54d.jpg

scryan

May 1, 2013
I'm not a Lagunitas fan. I find them to be pretty overrated.

The last few times I have had them I completely agree. TBH their IPA tastes like dry hopped water. Decent water, with decent dry hopping... but its like they completely forgot there is more to it then that.

Will have to look for thunderstruck... If only for that it reminds me of the Thundergun episode of Its Always Sunny.... And because stone IPAs are good for drinking.

Its too ****ing hot, beer was needed and I am broke.
Bevmo wanted ****ing $19 for a 12 of Torpedo? lol gg, but no.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
The last few times I have had them I completely agree. TBH their IPA tastes like dry hopped water. Decent water, with decent dry hopping... but its like they completely forgot there is more to it then that.

Will have to look for thunderstruck... If only for that it reminds me of the Thundergun episode of Its Always Sunny.... And because stone IPAs are good for drinking.

Its too ****ing hot, beer was needed and I am broke.
Bevmo wanted ****ing $19 for a 12 of Torpedo? lol gg, but no.

That's what it costs over here for a six pack (or six bottles) of anything other than Italian, Slovenian, Croatian and sometimes Austrian. I paid over €20,00 for six bottles of Anchor Steam a few months ago. Overpaid for sure, but a distinct lack of American micro can make a man crazy.

scryan

May 1, 2013
That's what it costs over here for a six pack (or six bottles) of anything other than Italian, Slovenian, Croatian and sometimes Austrian. I paid over €20,00 for six bottles of Anchor Steam a few months ago. Overpaid for sure, but a distinct lack of American micro can make a man crazy.

home.
brew.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
I just had a 6er (over the weekend) of "Pliny the Younger". It is a triple IPA and was really great. Crisp and full of flavor. My friend brought it down from up north and said that he got it at a tour of the brewery. Really good beer.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I just had a 6er (over the weekend) of "Pliny the Younger". It is a triple IPA and was really great. Crisp and full of flavor. My friend brought it down from up north and said that he got it at a tour of the brewery. Really good beer.

I've heard really good things.

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Russian River Brewing Santa Rosa. When they release the Pliny the Elder they line up around the block to get 2 pints then get back in line. I've seen P the Y on tap at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena. At the pub the also have their light and dark belgians, Salvation and Perdition. Good Stuff

scryan

May 1, 2013
I had this over the weekend. The Australian hops were mellow to me. A tasty beer all around.
93fdd010cad734a4a03c9435b96ba54d.jpg

Like!

When you said mellow hops, I thought it might be lighter hopped and malty...
Still very hoppy, That nice pungent piney with a little grapefruity citrus? But there is a mellowness to it, I can see what your saying.

Very good, I picked up this, and a 6 pack of Ruination and both were bottled in July, so they are marked enjoy by next month. The Ruination was off the shelf warm, and tastes like some of the hops have definitely started to fall off. This one was in the fridge, and still tastes pretty fresh. May have to go find more of this, I think they only have bombers not 6 packs?

Semi-iron because of this:
Since this beer is labeled as "100% Australian hops"
The label says Galaxy, Topaz, Vic Secret hops, so maybe look for local ipas made with those? I think its Heavy on the galaxy as I know I have had that a bit before, never heard of the others... And this tastes familiar.
How is the beer scene where you are? Are small breweries with "tasting rooms" or basically a bar that server only their beers a thing? What styles are popular? What are some of the more common or reasonably price American Beers and what is the general opinion of them, or American Beer in general?

Is it easy to find a wood fire pizza cooked in a minute or two?

Last edited:

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
Like!

When you said mellow hops, I thought it might be lighter hopped and malty...
Still very hoppy, That nice pungent piney with a little grapefruity citrus? But there is a mellowness to it, I can see what your saying.

Very good, I picked up this, and a 6 pack of Ruination and both were bottled in July, so they are marked enjoy by next month. The Ruination was off the shelf warm, and tastes like some of the hops have definitely started to fall off. This one was in the fridge, and still tastes pretty fresh. May have to go find more of this, I think they only have bombers not 6 packs?

Semi-iron because of this:

Since this beer is labeled as "100% Australian hops"
The label says Galaxy, Topaz, Vic Secret hops, so maybe look for local ipas made with those? I think its Heavy on the galaxy as I know I have had that a bit before, never heard of the others... And this tastes familiar.
How is the beer scene where you are? Are small breweries with "tasting rooms" or basically a bar that server only their beers a thing? What styles are popular? What are some of the more common or reasonably price American Beers and what is the general opinion of them, or American Beer in general?

Is it easy to find a wood fire pizza cooked in a minute or two?

The beer scene is very small, but growing. There are some microbreweries, with tasting rooms, but beer price wise usually goes for between 4-5 euro per pint, and 9-11 euro for a 750ml bottle of craft brew. Some of it is really really good...Birra Baladin and Birra del Borgo are two of my favorites here.

Style wise, Italians seem to like Pilsners, lagers, hefeweisens (hooegarten is huge here), and double malts. Stouts, Porters and IPA's not so much.

American beer wise.....ha. Hahaha. :cry::cry::cry:

Since my family is here on a military commitment, we get easier access to American Beers. Sometimes get really lucky (we've gotten shipments of Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter and Torpedo, Rogue, and New Belgium recently). But it's very hard to find what suites my tastes out in Italy. Most places don't serve IPA's because they don't sell. Actually just found out a local brewery stopped selling a Coffee Stout because the Italians don't like it (but they love espresso....:help:) So if I can find American in a bar, it's usually Miller or Bud or Corona (which remain on their shelf, because clear water is cheaper than that crap). There are a few specialty bars that get some rarities in....Abita, Shipyard, Red Hook....sometimes if I'm really lucky I can find Founders or Victory. That should pretty much sum up their opinion of American brews...unless they are really really into beer.

Finding great brews from Belgium is so much easier. Like Duvel, Chimay Red and Blue, La Chouffe, Trappistes Rochefort 6,8,10, St. Bernadus Prior 8 and Abt 12. No luck yet on Westy 12.

As far as pizza's, almost all of them are wood fired, and there are probably 7 around me within a 15 minute walk:naughty::yo:

Captain Mittens*

There was talk of stone opening a brewery in Europe. I don't know whatever became of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad