OT: Beer Thread II

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Had a Pliney the Elder last year and was mildly impressed but I don't get the hype. I'm just not a beer expert at all. There is a beer cave in Camarillo that picks some up every year. I guess I'm just a ghetto drinker. Sam Adams and Negra Modelo fill my fridge.
My buddy and I will be doing an East Coast road trip with the Kings next year to Boston and New York and I'm really looking forward to the Sam Adams brewery! :handclap::handclap:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Had a Pliney the Elder last year and was mildly impressed but I don't get the hype. I'm just not a beer expert at all. There is a beer cave in Camarillo that picks some up every year. I guess I'm just a ghetto drinker. Sam Adams and Negra Modelo fill my fridge.
My buddy and I will be doing an East Coast road trip with the Kings next year to Boston and New York and I'm really looking forward to the Sam Adams brewery! :handclap::handclap:
If you have time for a little detour, take a trip up to Portland. Lots of good breweries here.

scryan

May 1, 2013

HEYO! was Just in Camarillo yesterday.

Made it out to Institution Ale Co.
What a small tasting room, and closed employee only door leading back to brewery area is lame. Open up that wall and let the tasting room spill out into the brewery area for better atmosphere, more area, and so people can check out your brewing setup!

Decent beer. I dunno, its easy to make decent beer, most people who give a **** do. Nothing really amazing. Their Golden stout was actually pretty good, and I liked "batch #200" a decent bit.
The nitro coffee stout was almost decent, but just not quite nailed down. No lack of flavor, but perhaps a bit watery. Somewhat like when your drinking a bottled water and it almost has a taste, but more of a feel or whatever of the minerals in it. I know I have gotten the same from beers I have made where I didn't bother to nail down water chemistry... I think they have a little more work to do on that last front.

Their saturday cask special was their hoppy amber with chocolate and oranges.
It reminded me of the time I dry hopped half a gallon of milk stout with a **** ton of citra. Kinda like those chocolate orange eggs wrapped in foil that you break into wedges.
Almost not bad,especially at first... But entirely weird, somewhat all over the place... and lets agree neither one of us to do that again.

Slightly better then I expected though. I always expect random tasting rooms to be OK but nothing to get exited about, nothing to get offended by. 2 of 9 rose above that while the rest was as to be expected, slightly better then I was hoping.

At least on Sat, standing room only though, which can suck when you order a flight :D

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
HEYO! was Just in Camarillo yesterday.

Made it out to Institution Ale Co.
What a small tasting room, and closed employee only door leading back to brewery area is lame. Open up that wall and let the tasting room spill out into the brewery area for better atmosphere, more area, and so people can check out your brewing setup!

Decent beer. I dunno, its easy to make decent beer, most people who give a **** do. Nothing really amazing. Their Golden stout was actually pretty good, and I liked "batch #200" a decent bit.
The nitro coffee stout was almost decent, but just not quite nailed down. No lack of flavor, but perhaps a bit watery. Somewhat like when your drinking a bottled water and it almost has a taste, but more of a feel or whatever of the minerals in it. I know I have gotten the same from beers I have made where I didn't bother to nail down water chemistry... I think they have a little more work to do on that last front.

Their saturday cask special was their hoppy amber with chocolate and oranges.
It reminded me of the time I dry hopped half a gallon of milk stout with a **** ton of citra. Kinda like those chocolate orange eggs wrapped in foil that you break into wedges.
Almost not bad,especially at first... But entirely weird, somewhat all over the place... and lets agree neither one of us to do that again.

Slightly better then I expected though. I always expect random tasting rooms to be OK but nothing to get exited about, nothing to get offended by. 2 of 9 rose above that while the rest was as to be expected, slightly better then I was hoping.

At least on Sat, standing room only though, which can suck when you order a flight :D
Institution became popular much more quickly than they expected, so the tasting room was built with their original expectations in mind. They are in the process of moving out to a larger place that will have a bigger tasting room. I'm not sure when that will be done, but eventually the tasting room issue will be taken care of.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
I don't know if anyone here has tasted Firemans Brew, and it's been a while since I have, but I've been getting info that they are going public in the near future. Just curious of anyone's opinions.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Institution became popular much more quickly than they expected, so the tasting room was built with their original expectations in mind. They are in the process of moving out to a larger place that will have a bigger tasting room. I'm not sure when that will be done, but eventually the tasting room issue will be taken care of.

I still think they can/should expand seating by not trying to keep it only in the office up front, but by using a more open floor plan with the tasting room more mixed in with the brewery in one big warehouse, as most places do.

Tried this **** for the first time the other day and it rules. It reminded me of a nut brown ale mixed with a cream soda.

cali-creamin.jpg

scryan

May 1, 2013
While not the best, I am very much enjoying
21a-back-in-black.jpg

Now I am going to need each of you to go out an buy some form of black IPA so more brewers make them... Because bitterness and black malts is just right, yet I have not had a completely amazing black IPA yet.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I really haven't had too much of their beer... But TBH more then anything in beer I like
Dark malt
Hopps
And they provide a consistently good mix of both that I can often find at a reasonable price.
They actually do some podcast ads, which are annoying as **** tbh.

Also, can art of Paul Revere on chopper is bad as ****.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I'm late to the thread, and not going back through all the pages to catch up, so a couple quick apologetic questions:

Are ciders considered for discussion in this thread? How about hard root beers?

That said, in terms of relatively inexpensive but not total mass-produced watered-down brew, I've been a fan of Shiner Bock (when I can get it) since I discovered it on a work trip to D/FW. I can't claim true beer snob status - my friend Kevin is FAR more into the whole thing than I am. And I think I'm disqualified from being considered a true beer aficionado because I really can't stand IPAs -- and that's all the local craft breweries seem to be interested in churning out. I'd like to see more Belgian triples and quads, honestly.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I'm late to the thread, and not going back through all the pages to catch up, so a couple quick apologetic questions:

Are ciders considered for discussion in this thread? How about hard root beers?

That said, in terms of relatively inexpensive but not total mass-produced watered-down brew, I've been a fan of Shiner Bock (when I can get it) since I discovered it on a work trip to D/FW. I can't claim true beer snob status - my friend Kevin is FAR more into the whole thing than I am. And I think I'm disqualified from being considered a true beer aficionado because I really can't stand IPAs -- and that's all the local craft breweries seem to be interested in churning out. I'd like to see more Belgian triples and quads, honestly.

1.) No, ciders make you a female.
(OK, maybe I just don't like apple juice or ciders... Talk about whatever....)
2.) IPAs are great. Also, so ****ing trendy. Fine not to like them... But they ARE making some DELICIOUS hops that produce amazing variety within the style... Aside from the fact that its what your "supposed to drink" this may in some way account for the popularity of the style. You ARE missing out, but thats OK :D
3.) Yes more Belgian triples and quads. Also more imperial stouts. Also more black IPAs....Oh, wait...

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Had a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale yesterday - it was kind of like a beer and a mocha frappachino had a baby, tastewise. Not something I'm going to be specifically searching for, but nice when I'm in the right mood, I think.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I had the Rogue hazelnut for the first time in Vegas a few months ago, I was drinking dogfish head Indian brown when they ran out and bartender suggested the Rogue. Its definitely tasty, but not something I would search for either on a regular basis.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
We have half-season seats for the Padres this year, so have gotten familiar with the offerings at Petco Park. There's a little "craft brewery row" of kiosks in one part, which among other things includes, I believe, Mission brewery's hard root beer.

I love me some sweet alcohols, so thought this would be awesome. I was mistaken. I cannot recommend this - it tastes like the worst chemical aftertaste of a root beer barrel candy all the way through.

Now, someone else had a "Not Your Father's Root Beer" hard root beer that I found down here a few weeks ago that was FAR better, but it's since disappeared -- perhaps they didn't realize it would sell as well as it did.

scryan

May 1, 2013
We have half-season seats for the Padres this year, so have gotten familiar with the offerings at Petco Park. There's a little "craft brewery row" of kiosks in one part, which among other things includes, I believe, Mission brewery's hard root beer.

I love me some sweet alcohols, so thought this would be awesome. I was mistaken. I cannot recommend this - it tastes like the worst chemical aftertaste of a root beer barrel candy all the way through.

Now, someone else had a "Not Your Father's Root Beer" hard root beer that I found down here a few weeks ago that was FAR better, but it's since disappeared -- perhaps they didn't realize it would sell as well as it did.

Havent tried the not your fathers. I may at some point... but like the ballast point cocktails, it does not really appeal to me.

I DID try the Mission Hard rootbeer.

Uggg, real heavy on the anise (that black liquorice flavor). The booze reminds me of the boozy part of a whisky and coke made with cheap whisky. I drank part of one bottle before deciding it wasnt for me. Gave the 5 pack to a coworker (who then subsequently gave away the 4 pack...)

scryan

May 1, 2013
Did three philosophers used to have a white label?

I swear I bought that a good few years ago, but that in no way looks familiar.

edit:
beer-451.jpg

Success!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino