Speculation: Bednar's future

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
This organization doesn't hire coaches with any sort of NHL success or proven track record. The closest we ever came to that was hiring Q, and that was only because he started his coaching career here as an assistant.

They have this strange, backwards, engrained ideology that you don't need a higher end coach to win a Cup because they got carried by elite teams twice and won Cups with Crawford and Hartley, who had begun their NHL coaching careers as Avs HCs.

Well guess what boys at KSE, that same mindset has failed you ever since. The process of hiring some rookie coach, having them give one flash in the pan season before crashing and burning out has been repeated over and over again. No other organization would have kept on their HC after the monumental disaster that was Jared's first season.

But here we are, watching the organization make the same blunders they've always made and expecting a different result, then being surprised at the outcome.

We've become complacent and naively hopeful every time a rookie coach is hired, when really we should be demanding a proven coach that can win in the NHL.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
No other organization would have kept on their HC after the monumental disaster that was Jared's first season.
He was walking into a buzzsaw on that one, so I was ok with him getting a mulligan.

The losing streak has some utility. Should take everyone off the fence about reupping certain players and coaches.

Reactions: Grackle Party

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This organization doesn't hire coaches with any sort of NHL success or proven track record. The closest we ever came to that was hiring Q, and that was only because he started his coaching career here as an assistant.

They have this strange, backwards, engrained ideology that you don't need a higher end coach to win a Cup because they got carried by elite teams twice and won Cups with Crawford and Hartley, who had begun their NHL coaching careers as Avs HCs.

Well guess what boys at KSE, that same mindset has failed you ever since. The process of hiring some rookie coach, having them give one flash in the pan season before crashing and burning out has been repeated over and over again. No other organization would have kept on their HC after the monumental disaster that was Jared's first season.

But here we are, watching the organization make the same blunders they've always made and expecting a different result, then being surprised at the outcome.

We've become complacent and naively hopeful every time a rookie coach is hired, when really we should be demanding a proven coach that can win in the NHL.
A higher end coach in the late 90's might have gotten us a few more cups. Hartley was outcoached by Hitch in those two series and took to the final game of the season to win the cup in 01'. He was fired not long after that cup win aswell if memory serves. Then who comes in to replace Bob? Tony Granato who was handed a solid solid team and was outcoached by Lemaire in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Unless Colorado gets off to a horrendous start next season, Bednar isn't going anywhere.

The guy is a good coach. Most of the recent losing streak can be blamed on bad goaltending; most of the rest can be blamed on a bad roster. We're not not in a Patrick Roy-esque situation where the Avalanche are getting outshot 37-25 every night.

Reactions: James G

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh, no...imagine two Landys out there!
no-no-es-too-sexy.jpg

Reactions: missionAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Let's not say it's ALL goaltending though. The only reason they stayed as long as they did is because the Western Conference has become a raging hotbed of mediocrity.

This is still the most penalized team in the NHL, this is still the team with the 27th-worst penalty kill in the league, and this is still the team with the worst record in OT by a huge, huge margin. Goaltending would be covering up some of these huge flaws but in a normal league year they'd be getting buried anyway.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Let's not say it's ALL goaltending though. The only reason they stayed as long as they did is because the Western Conference has become a raging hotbed of mediocrity.

This is still the most penalized team in the NHL, this is still the team with the 27th-worst penalty kill in the league, and this is still the team with the worst record in OT by a huge, huge margin. Goaltending would be covering up some of these huge flaws but in a normal league year they'd be getting buried anyway.
There’s absolutely things that need to be improved for this team to move into contender status, but mediocre goaltending over that 2 month span would have literally given us anywhere from 8-15 points. That puts us in 8th-12th place in the entire NHL.

The west is bad but the Avs were an absolute wagon to start the season. They were tied for 1st in the conference at the end of November. Mediocre goaltending these last two months would absolutely have us in a good place.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think Bednar in necessarily the issue or a bad coach. But his first season and this stretch of games is completely unacceptable for someone in 2/3 seasons honestly.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I said back last July we had mediocre roster and that every team in the division sans maybe Chicago was significantly better than ours. I was told by many in here that I was wrong.

Well it turns out that I was right We have a shit roster, no consistent secondary scoring and meh defense. What I did not predict was our goaltending collapse.

Needless to say we are a long way from having a middle of the road NHL roster. We have tons of holes and Sakic seems to be that dog that sits in the chair when the room is on fire saying everything is fine.

This crap is not on our coaching staff they are forced to ask too many guys to pay roles they simply aren't capable of doing.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I said back last July we had mediocre roster and that every team in the division sans maybe Chicago was significantly better than ours. I was told by many in here that I was wrong.

Well it turns out that I was right We have a **** roster, no consistent secondary scoring and meh defense. What I did not predict was our goaltending collapse.

Needless to say we are a long way from having a middle of the road NHL roster. We have tons of holes and Sakic seems to be that dog that sits in the chair when the room is on fire saying everything is fine.

This crap is not on our coaching staff they are forced to ask too many guys to pay roles they simply aren't capable of doing.
IMO coaching is neither good or bad but when or if this team ever puts together a winning roster, and I mean a cup contender, they'll need a better coach if they're ever gonna win the cup. I just dont see Bednar being the guy for that

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Give Bednar Hughes , Kakko , Makar , Timmins, a serviceable Tyson Jost , and a good goaltender (Francouz) , and a free agent winger. Then I think he will be fine.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't think Bednar in necessarily the issue or a bad coach. But his first season and this stretch of games is completely unacceptable for someone in 2/3 seasons honestly.

Exactly. I believe he is a good coach and players like to play for him, but these two stretches are too bad in general. We need to find a new coach. He is done here.

Give any coach those and they will be good..

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Give Bednar Hughes , Kakko , Makar , Timmins, a serviceable Tyson Jost , and a good goaltender (Francouz) , and a free agent winger. Then I think he will be fine.
Highly unlikely we get Hughes and Kakko, or a Jost who isn't a complete bust.

I'm hoping Jost has some trade value as a reclamation project. I don't care if he's 20. He can't play 2c or bottom 6.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think our assistant coaches are a bigger issue, Power play, penalty kill, 3 on 3 and goaltending are what have faltered. Now 3 in 3 is probably Bednar, but special teams and goaltending not so much.

Reactions: burgundyblue

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
You can give me those dudes and I’ll win multiple cups. He’s literally been carried by Mack’s line to this point. I genuinely disagree that he’s gotten enough out of the roster they have.

Also to the Gabe and Landy thing. I’m not GabeTheBabe for no reason... but y’all knew what I meant lol

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4