Speculation: Bednar's future

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Let’s be honest; our organization simply doesn’t value coaching.

Crawford
Hartley
Granato
Quenneville
Granato
Sacco
Roy
Bednar

In almost 25 years, we have had one quality coach.

Crawford and Hartley were nobodies when we got them. Coach Q is the only guy we have had in a quarter of a century that had somewhat of a track record.

To no surprise, Coach Q also had the highest winning percentage while coaching us compared to the others in the salary cap era; Granato, Sacco, Roy, Bednar.

It doesn’t make sense to me. A ****ty team like the Islanders get a quality coach and turn it around. It can do wonders. We just bring in complete unknowns time after time.

Q was the only one with NHL experience too. They try to catch lightning in a bottle with the next young coach of the future every time.

One of many strategies I'm hoping they have realized is dumb. First they did away with not taking D in the 1st round. Now I'm hoping they do away with not drafting goalies until late in the draft, and not bringing in veteran NHL coaches. Whenever they decide to make the next change.

The funny thing is it might be Q again that bucks that trend.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Let’s be honest; our organization simply doesn’t value coaching.

Crawford
Hartley
Granato
Quenneville
Granato
Sacco
Roy
Bednar

In almost 25 years, we have had one quality coach.

Crawford and Hartley were nobodies when we got them. Coach Q is the only guy we have had in a quarter of a century that had somewhat of a track record.

To no surprise, Coach Q also had the highest winning percentage while coaching us compared to the others in the salary cap era; Granato, Sacco, Roy, Bednar.

It doesn’t make sense to me. A ****ty team like the Islanders get a quality coach and turn it around. It can do wonders. We just bring in complete unknowns time after time.

It's something that has really bothered me. They don't try to hire proven coaches, they put next to no effort into developing their players. It's like they assume players are just going to get it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bednar will get fired at some point, the question now is when it's the best time to do so.

The best time to do so will be at season's end, where Sakic can then conduct a full, comprehensive search and bring in a new staff.

The worst time to do so will be during next season, which is when I think it'll happen.

We're 40m under the cap and you guys want a good coach... lol

By that rationale the Oilers should be getting the Best Coach Ever because they've spent to the cap.

BUT...I'll say that this team has been notoriously cheap when it comes to paying their coaches and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's clear that last year was the anomaly for Bednar, because this is exactly the kind of fruitless, pointless losing that we saw the entire disaster season. The team has just underperformed too much while he's been here, there's no way he can survive 24 hours past game 82 at this point.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bednar will get fired at some point, the question now is when it's the best time to do so.

The best time to do so will be at season's end, where Sakic can then conduct a full, comprehensive search and bring in a new staff.

The worst time to do so will be during next season, which is when I think it'll happen.

By that rationale the Oilers should be getting the Best Coach Ever because they've spent to the cap.

BUT...I'll say that this team has been notoriously cheap when it comes to paying their coaches and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

My only hope against this is them actually paying Roy 5M or whatever (which was a lot for coaches then). I know he wasn't locked into that, but in a way Roy probably wasn't going anywhere for a while unless he wanted to. I choose to cling to that..

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Bednar is a good coach and I hope he stays long time with the Avs.

Only negative thing is our PK, Bednar needs to fix that. Even our powerplay looks good and fresh and when I say that I mean our second PP unit. First one has been laughable sack of s*** for a month now and should be blown to pieces.
Also can't stand Landy and Barrie. Put the first one on the second line and trade the other one as fast as you can.
Thank you.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Only negative thing is our PK, Bednar needs to fix that. Even our powerplay looks good and fresh and when I say that I mean our second PP unit. First one has been laughable sack of s*** for a month now and should be blown to pieces.
Also can't stand Landy and Barrie. Put the first one on the second line and trade the other one as fast as you can.
Thank you.

I'm in a good place right now. Something you said made me think of this.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Thank you.

I used to think Bednar was a good coach, but regardless if that is true (or not), Sakic is going to push for a fresh new look to this team in the off season. That will include a new coach, some shiny new draft picks, hopefully a top 6 winger signed through FA.

If that team has struggles (all teams do) then people will immediately jump all over Bednar, and then will turn their focus to Sakic.

Imagine we have a top 5 pick, and another top 10 pick, we have spent much closer to the cap, and we start losing?

Bednar will be gone immediately, and we will have to make a coaching change mid season. It's not an optimal situation at all.

Obviously things could go well, and Bednar could win a cup, who knows? Is Sakic going to risk it? Probably not.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

It's good to see Bednar call out JT for his mistake.

Continuing his long, and fair, habit of calling players out when they cost us a game.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Of course stopping short of benching him. That has been consistent as well.
It just looks bad. We've had lots of players cost us games. Some more than others. They are very rarely called out.

Compher took a really dumb penalty, but our PK let in 3 goals in like 75 seconds.

Toronto had 3 goals in their previous 40ish PP attempts.

There's a lot more going on there than Compher taking a dumb penalty.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Thank you.

Well f***, alright everyone I'm officially on the fire Bednar bandwagon. I now see the errors in my previous thoughts.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I really think he'll be let go after the last game this season. I know some still don't think there's an issue but I still think there is a concern of the team not playing for him anymore, especially Mack. That said, if we end up with McLellan to take Bednar's place I'll be upset.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I really think he'll be let go after the last game this season. I know some still don't think there's an issue but I still think there is a concern of the team not playing for him anymore, especially Mack. That said, if we end up with McLellan to take Bednar's place I'll be upset.
Outside of 3 or 4 seasons, guys "not playing for their coach" has been an issue with this organization since Q quit and left. At what point do we stop blaming the coach, and start blaming the players?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Not entirely sure Bednar is the problem. The team has no top pairing D, the bottom 9 is awful and the goaltending is terrible. We are mostly a one line team, that is a big issue for any coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad