Speculation: Bednar's future

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just my gut feeling. We sucked balls for too long. If things kept going the way they were going before our hot streak, he should have been sacked by all means.

Of course, most of the blame goes to our goaltender tandem. Varly disappointed us big time.
Oh...by all means then....keep believing he was close to being fired then. Just don't say it like it was a matter of fact. That's all I'm saying.

Joe has been in his corner from day one and it looks like his faith has paid off. Not sure why you would say such a thing....unless you were trying to stir up some conversation over nothing. You seem to gloss over the very quick and red-hot start the Avs had to the season and don't give him any credit whatsoever for it. Whatever....

Reactions: madman

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Oh...by all means then....keep believing he was close to being fired then. Just don't say it like it was a matter of fact. That's all I'm saying.

Joe has been in his corner from day one and it looks like his faith has paid off. Not sure why you would say such a thing....unless you were trying to stir up some conversation over nothing. You seem to gloss over the very quick and red-hot start the Avs had to the season and don't give him any credit whatsoever for it. Whatever....

If we dropped to fifth overall from a clear playoff spot, do you think he would have deserved to continue? I don't. Now things are different because he made the playoffs and we made the second round.

Go read the forums when we were on our bad streak. We were talking about top-5 pick at worst. We were in that bad shape, but Grubauer decided to show up and things turned around. It was close.

I am not trying to stir up anything. Other people thought he should have been fired as well, not all, but it was close to getting that point.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Source please....

Yeah a better way to phrase that would have been saying "in my opinion, he was close to getting fired this season..." and the explanation for that would have been that in 2 of his 3 seasons there were horrendous slides. In year 1 he got a pass because of his situation, this year it would have been fair for Joe to question if he should continue with him behind the bench if they squandered that hot start into nothing.

I also believe that if the Avs missed the playoffs that he would have been let go, but that is 1000% just my opinion.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Dont think Sakic would fire Bednar if the Avs missed the playoffs. When Avs struggled those couple of months in the middle of the season, Sakic made it clear that coaching wasnt the issue

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought they'd give him more than just the one year but this works.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I thought they'd give him more than just the one year but this works.
I think he would have got a longer extension if not for the bad two months we had. But he had a great start and a great finish hence the one year extension. If the team goes further next season and is more consistent throughout the season he will get a longer one next time IMO. The players like to play for him.

Reactions: Avs_19

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
He was close getting fired this season, but in the end, he made the second round of playoffs so he will be saved for the next season. Next season pressures higher, though. I expect a better position in the regular season and similar run in playoffs. No more playoff bubble team, but regular playoff team.

While I do understand the pressure will come, we still need a better roster overall to want that.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Dont think Sakic would fire Bednar if the Avs missed the playoffs. When Avs struggled those couple of months in the middle of the season, Sakic made it clear that coaching wasnt the issue
Sakic said what he had to say at that point. I still think Bednar would have been fired if the Avs hadn't made the turnaround. It doesn't matter, though, because the Avs got their crap together, made the playoffs and looked pretty good in two rounds.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sakic said what he had to say at that point. I still think Bednar would have been fired if the Avs hadn't made the turnaround. It doesn't matter, though, because the Avs got their crap together, made the playoffs and looked pretty good in two rounds.
I don't think Bednar would have been fired. The eye test and the stats showed that the team was still playing very very well during that bad stretch. The problem was mostly goaltending and the way our goalies were playing that was not on Bednar.

The only other thing that could be put on Bednar during that stretch were the OT losses. He was making other little mistakes such as player preferences and so on but no coach is perfect. The OT losses are another issue though. I kept saying it at the time...he kept going back to Mack/Rants/Barrie to start the OT and those three should not be played together in OT. They are all fairly high risk players. OT is about puck possession and being patient while having the puck waiting for the right opportunity. Those guys together were taking way too many low probability shots, losing the puck and giving a breakaway in the process. Bednar finally started sending them separately and he finally got through to them on how to play in OT and they started to do very well. From Feb 27th they went 4-1 in OT. They also went 2-1 in SO which means another three games that they did pretty well in OT.

I think Bednar did an admirable job in getting them ready to play each game during that stretch as it was very deflating for the players playing that well and the goalies would screw it up for them. It would have been easy for him, especially with a young team, to lose the locker room and he didn't. He kept them focused and believing in the system and it finally turn around. I don't think he was ever in any danger of losing his job.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Size Queen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If he had just missed the playoffs, then no, I don't think he would've been fired (but he likely wouldn't have gotten another extension). If the team never recovered from their early 2019 swoon, then I think there would've been a very good chance he would've been shown the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad