Speculation: Bednar's future

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Sorry. I love Bednar. Players do too. But this overtime record to me is a coaching issue. They have no plays and get nothing done every time. No way a team with Mack Landy and Gabe consistently doesn’t look like a threat in 3v3
That’s like blaming coaching on SO loses. 3on3 is a side show to award 1 point. It’s all individual skill or flukey things like last change.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Oh, no...imagine two Landys out there!
no-no-es-too-sexy.jpg
CelebratedBlackDeermouse-size_restricted.gif

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
That’s like blaming coaching on SO loses. 3on3 is a side show to award 1 point. It’s all individual skill or flukey things like last change.
That’s ridiculous. You can run plays. Set borderline picks. Create space. How a guy like Mack doesn’t get multiple chances to score pretty much every OT is coaching. Period.

This is like watching the power play two years ago. Shit was unacceptable

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Huh? 3on3 is definitely something you can coach. There’s strategies and game planning you can use to give your skill players the best chance to shine. It is abundantly clear it’s also a part of the game the Avs have ignored completely

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Guys, in the last few games we had a second line of Wilson/Kerfoot/Compher. That says it all. NONE of them is a 2nd line player. You can hide one weak player on a scoring line but 3!?!? Not possible.

In addition to that we had a 4th line of Dries/Greer/Ghetto ... WHAT? AHL'rs 4 life.

No coach in the whole wide world can build a playoff team out of this forward group. You can bash Bednar all you want and for sure he has his flaws. But this is on Sakic, Sakic and maybe even Sakic.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
A higher end coach in the late 90's might have gotten us a few more cups. Hartley was outcoached by Hitch in those two series and took to the final game of the season to win the cup in 01'. He was fired not long after that cup win aswell if memory serves. Then who comes in to replace Bob? Tony Granato who was handed a solid solid team and was outcoached by Lemaire in a 7 game series.

He had another WCF series against Detroit in 01/02, and fired during 02/03 season.

Reactions: the_fan

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
3on3 is a side show to award 1 point.

Yeah, "1 point" that could make or break your season.

Let´s see: So far we lost 11 points (amirite?)... Enough said? :skeptic:

11 - ELEVEN - Points! :pullhair: :rant:

We are probably going to miss the playoffs because we are unable to win a single game in OT!

So much for "side show"...

Reactions: arun

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It is kind of ridiculous. Even if we manage to turn this ship around and stay in the hunt for the playoffs down the stretch, we're probably going to lose and a huge culprit for why we miss the playoffs will be our inability to get 2nd points in OT.

I mean even if we were just .500 in OT right now, instead of being 1-11 we'd be 6-6 for 5 extra points, meaning we'd still be 1 point up on both St. Louis and Minnesota, and just 1 point back of 3rd in the division.

Goaltending is the #1 reason why we are where we are, but our 3 on 3 play(And Bednar plays a big part in this one) is reason #2.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
My biggest pet peeve with Avs coaching for the better part of what, 15 years? is the inability to adapt to the opposing team with a different style of play. The Avs play "their" style, which might change a bit during the year. But it's always the same way game to game. There is never style matching to the other team or having a few different looks to the team depending on game situation.

Look at Cooper and TB as a perfect game matching example when we dominated them and they can back out, stifled us defensively and won 1-0. Or Trotz with NY and how heavy forechecking was used to neutralize us not once but twice! Avs coaches suck at adjusting on the fly or preparing the team accordingly.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Let’s be honest; our organization simply doesn’t value coaching.

Crawford
Hartley
Granato
Quenneville
Granato
Sacco
Roy
Bednar

In almost 25 years, we have had one quality coach.

Crawford and Hartley were nobodies when we got them. Coach Q is the only guy we have had in a quarter of a century that had somewhat of a track record.

To no surprise, Coach Q also had the highest winning percentage while coaching us compared to the others in the salary cap era; Granato, Sacco, Roy, Bednar.

It doesn’t make sense to me. A shitty team like the Islanders get a quality coach and turn it around. It can do wonders. We just bring in complete unknowns time after time.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm not an advocate of firing Bednar but I do think if this season heads in the direction it appears to be heading that a change needs to be made and coaching is the obvious one.

Some of his player personnel decisions have gotten increasingly frustrating. Plain and simple I dont think Bednar has ever had a truly quality lineup to work with on the Avs, we have always lacked forward depth while he's been the coach and our Defense has never been more then average either. So part of me wonders what he would be able to do with a roster next season that hypothetically included Hughes, a high end free agency signing like Hayes or Ferland, and another elite puck mover on the back end in Makar.

But especially if there's good coaches on the market to be had this summer I think it's probably time to part ways. Bring in an experienced guy who has proven successful before like Hitch, Quenville, McLellan, etc. and see what they can work with the new and much improved roster.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I still think we are a cheap organization, i can't see the team paying for two coaches.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
If Bednar is fired the successor must be Quenneville. McLellan didn't accomplish anything with the Oilers and wasted the prime years of Sharks core.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I completely get not wanting to put this at Bednar's feet, but we now have two of three seasons that have uncontrolled slides. Combine that with the NHL shelf life of coaches being about 3 years... it is simply time for Bednar to go.

Yeah I don’t think it’s all on Bednar. I think the roster construction was always going to limit a coach here but having the first season on his resume has made this slide a fireable offense for sure.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yeah I don’t think it’s all on Bednar. I think the roster construction was always going to limit a coach here but having the first season on his resume has made this slide a fireable offense for sure.

I think it's on the other coaches and trainers this team has, as well. Not just Bednar.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think it's on the other coaches and trainers this team has, as well. Not just Bednar.

I don’t disagree. But this coaching staff has been here for the 16/17 season and now for a season in which we’ve gone on a 6-18-2 stretch or whatever it is. That’s just unacceptable for any coach/ing staff.

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm not on the "fire Bednar" bandwagon, and I think a lot of our issues aren't due to his lack of ability as a coach.

That being said, firing him to bring in someone new is becoming a more intriguing idea.

Sometimes teams need a shake up, and a new coach who brings new ideas / strategies might be the right call at this point. The team might be at the point where what he's doing, just isn't working with this group. Maybe a new coach will be willing to make the changes that Bednar isn't comfortable with.

Clearly the current system isn't working. Even having 2 top forwards putting up insane offensive numbers, isn't going to drag this team out of this.

I have no idea who is available to replace him, and quality NHL coaches aren't easy to find. There aren't even 20 quality coaches in the league.

I'm sick of losing, and next season, the clock starts for this team, and it's time to get a winning system in place.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Calling it now...IF the Avs fire Bednar, I expect them to at least make some kind of run at Sheldon Keefe in Toronto. Whether they actually land him is anyone's guess.

But I also would still be surprised if they went ahead and fired him. I think, fair or not, if this team ends up truly bottoming out after the start they had, then goaltending, lack of depth scoring be damned, you have to fire him. You simply can't bring a guy back in there after 2 of 3 horrible seasons and expect a group of young players to follow him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->