Speculation: Bednar's future

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I thought it might be fun to speculate a little about coaching. I don't mind Bednar (minus the 16/17 season..), and I don't think this slide is all on him.

However, there are some issues that need to be addressed:

-Special teams are absolutely killing us right now. Something has to be done
-None of our goalies could stop a mime from talking right now
-Player allocation (everyone has different things they would change)
-Mac's blowup last night. Might be a big deal, might just be heat of the moment. Who knows?

I think that something has to change. We can't keep missing the playoffs, and it'd be a real punch to the dick for the top line having the kind of season they are having right now.

I don't know that Bednar needs to be fired yet. I imagine his seat is getting pretty warm right now, and I'd rather him get axed while there is a good coach sitting at home doing nothing in Q. I'd hate to see a situation where he gets fired and there isn't any decent options for coaches so we go trolling for a new guy again.

My biggest question is: If Bednar was fired today, would he ever coach in the league again? If so, where? If we are hanging onto a guy who nobody else would want either, why?

If I was Sakic, I'd be calling up some hungry blood from the Eagles at the bare minimum right now. We can't keep sliding like this. We can't be wasting Mac's budget contract years.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think Bednar is doing a damn good job personally.
Agree. He could do certain things differently of course (Soda, Greer when up with the team, etc.) but all coaches do things that upset the fans. Giving Frankie a shot is not really on him as Varly came back before he had a chance to give him a game.

Just like the other players on the team Bednar needs some saves from his goalies.

Reactions: MacBradley

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
he's been fine so far. you need more then 15 games before giving up on grubs or varly. they'll play through it. they just dominated the best team in the west coming off a back to back game while traveling, obviously he hasn't lost the locker room yet.

Kosty17

Jan 1, 2019
The Avs are built for the future, not for the now. We’re a young team going through some adversity. It’s going to happen. They aren’t even thinking of firing bednar. And Mack’s blow out is just part of the game, he’s a fierce competitor and hates losing. Nothing comes of this at all

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think last night was a big deal at all. I do think its probably set a precedent that if we miss playoffs this year we'll see a coaching change but overall I'd say it's a pretty minor event. Players vent frustration on the bench all the time.

I also dont really see how people can be getting particularly angry at Bednar right now tbh. The PK is run by one of the assistant coaches, yeah Bednar has some input but.

On B2B games against the two top teams in the West, and on the road we outshot them by 75+ shot attempts.

We're doing things right and starting to play decent hockey. The issue is individual mistakes from guys who weren't making those mistakes earlier this season(Cole, Girard) and goaltending that plain and simple has not been good enough.

Girard needs to have his minutes cut back I think, and Cole and EJ need to switch roles. I actually think EJ has looked very good again the last 5 games or so. He was really moving his feet and making plays last night. He and Barrie have been our 2 best Defendeds again lately and that's very good to see. Getting Zadorov back should help cut Girards minutes down a bit.

I dont think you can put these struggles on Bednar. Everyone deserves some blame and everyone has to be better.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
when the Avs start winning games again.
wk-aq090_tvrevi_g_20090611130514.jpg

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'd be surprised if he got another head coach gig after this one. Some team will hire him on as an assistant, just like every other coach we've suffered through not named Q or Hartley.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
I think he’s doing fine. It’s not his fault we’re out shooting teams but letting in 5 goals a game. That’s something Sakic needs to figure out for the future of goaltending.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He also coached them to that 48 point season too.

I don't see Bednar getting an NHL head coaching job next if he's done with the Avs this season. Assistant coach or AHL head coach seems more likely.
He had like 2 weeks notice before the season, and didn't even have time to put together a staff. The roster was garbage, and key players had injuries.

He's literally won at every level he's coached. He has an ECHL title, and an AHL title.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He had like 2 weeks notice before the season, and didn't even have time to put together a staff. The roster was garbage, and key players had injuries.

He's literally won at every level he's coached. He has an ECHL title, and an AHL title.
That's not enough to guarantee you an NHL head coaching job.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Bednar's the problem but coaches are hired all the time mid season with much less time than Bednar had his first off season. I'm sure he would have jumped at the opportunity to be hired mid season with 0 prep time.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Where are you getting the idea that he might be fired?
His 3 wins in his last 15 games while the Avs slide down the standings. Avs are only in a playoff spot by 3 points and that team has 2 games in hand. Playoffs and now in jeopardy.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
His 3 wins in his last 15 games while the Avs slide down the standings. Avs are only in a playoff spot by 3 points and that team has 2 games in hand. Playoffs and now in jeopardy.
And why is the blame for all of this on him?

Reactions: James G

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad