Barzal vs Point , who would you rather have ?

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Dude, I'm not saying Point stinks, but he is not that much different of a player than Barzal. Barzal is playing in a system that strangles his talents. Imagine this, Barzal only played 11 minutes the other day against the Bruins because they needed the Zajac, Palmeiri, Pageau line to cover the Bergeron line which was on the ice for like 20 minutes. Trotz did this all season. Also, Point plays with like players like Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Palat,...etc. If Point gets hurt, Tampa doesn't miss a beat. If the the Isles lose Barzal, they probably miss the playoffs, that is a huge difference!!!
Dude, I wasn't implying you meant Point stinks! He obviously doesn't. I was complimenting you for finding an example where "better linemates" actually meant something. I take Point without a thought because "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Dude, I wasn't implying you meant Point stinks! He obviously doesn't. I was complimenting you for finding an example where "better linemates" actually meant something. I take Point without a thought because "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

Of course you would take Point, he won you a Stanley Cup, but disparaging another teams best player trying to win the Cup is elitest!(spelling)

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Of course you would take Point, he won you a Stanley Cup, but disparaging another teams best player trying to win the Cup is elitest!(spelling)
LMAO, take a compliment my man! Point has been basically as good as Hedman and Kucherov in the playoffs, honestly thought he deserved the Conn Smythe last year. Taking him over your teams best player is hardly disparaging.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
LMAO, take a compliment my man! Point has been basically as good as Hedman and Kucherov in the playoffs, honestly thought he deserved the Conn Smythe last year. Taking him over your teams best player is hardly disparaging.
Dude, my dream is having Point playing with Barzal on the Island!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Dude, I'm not saying Point stinks, but he is not that much different of a player than Barzal. Barzal is playing in a system that strangles his talents. Imagine this, Barzal only played 11 minutes the other day against the Bruins because they needed the Zajac, Palmeiri, Pageau line to cover the Bergeron line which was on the ice for like 20 minutes. Trotz did this all season. Also, Point plays with like players like Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Palat,...etc. If Point gets hurt, Tampa doesn't miss a beat. If the the Isles lose Barzal, they probably miss the playoffs, that is a huge difference!!!

The two wins NYI had against TB last year came in the games when Point was hurt.

This isn't all that close. Skill-wise, yeah, it's pretty even. But Point's mentality is what sets him apart from Barzal. He goes wherever he needs to go to score goals. Point's goals-to-assist ratio is more about his mentality than his skillset, because he actually has more of a playmaker's skillset. It's all about a willingness to get dirty ON TOP of the skills.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
The two wins NYI had against TB last year came in the games when Point was hurt.

This isn't all that close. Skill-wise, yeah, it's pretty even. But Point's mentality is what sets him apart from Barzal. He goes wherever he needs to go to score goals. Point's goals-to-assist ratio is more about his mentality than his skillset, because he actually has more of a playmaker's skillset. It's all about a willingness to get dirty ON TOP of the skills.
Most of of Barzals goals come when he is attacking the net, like when he scored the tying goal against the Bruins in game 3. Barzal plays a dirty game too!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Sure, and if he did that roughly twice as often, he'd be as good as Brayden Point.
And if Brayden Point wasn't playing with Kucherov, he would have half less the points and no Stanley Cup! You see what I did there!!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
And if Brayden Point wasn't playing with Kucherov, he would have half less the points and no Stanley Cup! You see what I did there!!
And we wouldn't have a Cup if Kucherov wasn't playing in front of Hedman, who isn't that good because he plays in front of Vaslevskiy, who isn't that good because he's coached by Jon Cooper, who isn't that good because he has Brayden Point, who isn't that good because he plays in front of Steven Stamkos...

Lightning tax in full effect.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
Sure, and if he did that roughly twice as often, he'd be as good as Brayden Point.
There are argument to be made from both sides, most likely coming down to personal preference on who you feel is better. I would prefer Barzy but understand why you'd pick Point. But if you think the difference is this wide, you're out to lunch

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Good comparison. If you need someone to lead your team, I'll take Barzal. If you need someone who can complement your stars (and even outperform them), then I'd take Point.

For my Sharks, I'm taking Barzal for that reason. We don't have anyone on that level. If it were the early 2010s or even 2016 Sharks, I'm taking Point.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Star Players on Tampa- Kucherov, Stamkos, & Hedman, Star Players on The Islanders- Barzal

Point has a distinct advantage on he plays with, Barzal is on his own!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
BTW, the one year Barzal was playing with another star player (Tavares) he put up 85 points and won the Calder trophy!

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Point AINEC. Much more complete franchise center, significantly better goal scorer, and wipes the floor with Barzal as a two way forward. That's not a slight on Barzal because he's a fantastic player too, but Point is as good as it gets short of the generational talents.

I don't know why people are bringing up the supporting casts as if we haven't seen what Point can do as the #1 guy on a team. He had 33P in 23 games last playoffs with Stamkos out and was robbed of a Conn Smythe. He led Tampa in scoring this year with Kucherov out, Stamkos missing time with injuries, and Hedman clearly playing through something. He was their #1 guy last year in the playoffs and he was their #1 guy this season and he kicked ass just like always. Stamkos is the one feeding off Point, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
BTW, the one year Barzal was playing with another star player (Tavares) he put up 85 points and won the Calder trophy!
Having Tavares on the team helped Barzal cause the opposing teams best d would shadow the former, but technically speaking they didn't play together much, even on the PP

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I do think that was his point. If he wasn't the only star focused on he would put up more points.
my mistake

agree 100% with the bolded... but I another factor is that Weight's system was more conducive to accruing points than Trotz'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad