Barzal vs Point , who would you rather have ?

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Barzal is the best player on the Islanders by a country mile. Point is the 4th best player on Tampa behind Hedman, Kucherov, and Vasielvsky. If Tampa had to trade one of them it would be Point. Barzal is the Isles franchise player, they ain't trading him for anything unless it's for Kucherov, McKinnon, or McDavid. That's all you need to know between the two.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Barzal is the best player on the Islanders by a country mile. Point is the 4th best player on Tampa behind Hedman, Kucherov, and Vasielvsky. If Tampa had to trade one of them it would be Point. Barzal is the Isles franchise player, they ain't trading him for anything unless it's for Kucherov, McKinnon, or McDavid. That's all you need to know between the two.

But that just shows how important they are to each particular team. If Barzal was on Tampa, he would be down the pecking order big time too and Point would be the top player on NYI by a landslide.

But if they were both up for grabs and just a straight up question of who I'd rather have, I'd have to say Point. And that is zero disrespect to Barzal cause I am a giant Barzal fan

I can see people's preference flip flop year by year tho forsure

I think this thread is a very good debate... I will say tho, I think it would be extremely fun to see Barzal on Tampa for a year playing with all those high flying guys!!.. his point total would be insane playing with them and being on that PP.. my god!!

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This makes no sense
Point isn’t better because he isn’t the best C in the league is basically what you’re saying lol

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
This makes no sense
Point isn’t better because he isn’t the best C in the league is basically what you’re saying lol
No, I'm saying that Barzal is more valuable to the Isles than Point is to the lightning. The Isles may have similar type players like Point in Pageau, Palmeiri, or Nelson, but not a dynamic talent like Barzal who is a puck possession god. Love to have Point on the Island though next to Barzal.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
At this stage of their development slight edge Point, but in the near future probably Barzal.

Points 200 ft play, high motor, chippiness, ability to get his shot off from tight spaces and elevating

Barzal is an electric offensive talent, but has committed to a 200ft game in a Trotz led system. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Barzal these playoffs, responding to his coach’s challenge. If the Isles move past TBL these playoffs I can see a continued evolution from Barzal as a big part of it.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Yup watched Barzal skating in elite circles while turning it over the entire series. You put Barzal between Kucherov and Palat and Tampa doesn't have a cup, he's just not good enough. Doesn't exactly show up in big moments either.
Barzal has cut out most of the "elite circles". He is a work in progress, and no shrinking violet. Point is the better player, but this year's Barzal is not last year's.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
And we wouldn't have a Cup if Kucherov wasn't playing in front of Hedman, who isn't that good because he plays in front of Vaslevskiy, who isn't that good because he's coached by Jon Cooper, who isn't that good because he has Brayden Point, who isn't that good because he plays in front of Steven Stamkos...

Lightning tax in full effect.
Stamkos is a whole 'nother subject.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
If Point was on the Islanders, he wouldn't be the 4th best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad