Barzal vs Point , who would you rather have ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This debate was settled in last year's playoffs pretty decisively.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Point has the best team in the league infront of him.

Barzal is the key offensive weapon for the isles. Reverse their teams and Barzal would absolutely light it up.

Both tremendous players, but I'll take the kid doing it in Trotts super defensive system.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Barzal has better skating and better stickhandling. Educate yourself.

If this claim were true it would lead to more scoring. It doesn't, because it isn't. Barzal has 33 career playoff points, Point had 33 points in last years playoffs alone, while injured. Literally across the board Point has the upper hand, pick any stat you'd like. Barzal is closer to Tyler Johnson than Point.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
If this claim were true it would lead to more scoring. It doesn't, because it isn't. Barzal has 33 career playoff points, Point had 33 points in last years playoffs alone, while injured. Literally across the board Point has the upper hand, pick any stat you'd like. Barzal is closer to Tyler Johnson than Point.

One has Palat and Kuch on his line the other has Eberle and Komarov.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Objectively false. There's not one thing Barzal does better than Point, literally not one thing.

It's Point by a considerable margin. His scoring ability alone is enough to give him a big edge.

Your clueless and too much of a homer! Brayden Point in his best day will never out skate Matt Barzal! You put Barzal between Kucherov & Palat and nothing changes in Tampa!

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep

I'm neutral on this and I like both players, very good core pieces on quality teams. But it's posts like this that make me want to see Tampa eat shit. And for Barzal to be serving it to certain Bolts fans on a platter. Tyler Johnson? The same Tyler Johnson no one wanted for free? Wow.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Of course the team with Drouin thinks that, you guys love perimeter players.

It's not an attack, man. Do you think I'm going to suddenly change my opinion about a player because you change the subject? Grow up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Your clueless and too much of a homer! Brayden Point in his best day will never out skate Matt Barzal! You put Barzal between Kucherov & Palat and nothing changes in Tampa!

Yup watched Barzal skating in elite circles while turning it over the entire series. You put Barzal between Kucherov and Palat and Tampa doesn't have a cup, he's just not good enough. Doesn't exactly show up in big moments either.

Last edited:

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Yup watched Barzal skating in elite circles while turning it over the entire series. You put Barzal between Kucherov and Palat and Tampa doesn't have a cup, he's just not good enough. Doesn't exactly show up in big moments either.

Wow you are Clueless! Without Barzal, the Isles lose to Boston!! Shoot the Isles might not have made the playoffs!! Can't say that about Point! Without Point Tampa is still a contender!!!

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
So a question to my previous point, if anyone, especially NYI fans can answer, what's the reason Tavares failed spectacularly to up his production in a meaningful way with far better linemates? But apparently Barzal might? Anyone have an example of this actually happening?

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
So a question to my previous point, if anyone, especially NYI fans can answer, what's the reason Tavares failed spectacularly to up his production in a meaningful way with far better linemates? But apparently Barzal might? Anyone have an example of this actually happening?

Tavares was already at his peak when he was an Islander playing in a system similar to the Leafs which failed miserably! Isles had the worst goals against average when Tavares was Islander, he was just not a commited back checker thats why. It doesn't matter who he plays with, the guy is just an offensive player with no defensive commitment and guess what, you can't have 3 of them on one line with Tavares, Matthews, & Marner. Plus, Matthews is the better 1st liner.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Imagine if Barzal got to play with Kucherov?

Sweet Jesus..... it would be 3 passes taking like 28 seconds considering Kucherov would throw the puck to Barzal, he holds it and spins and circles the whole ice, passes it to Kucherov.... Only for Kucherov to just throw it right back to him seconds later for a turnover

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Tavares was already at his peak when he was an Islander playing in a system similar to the Leafs which failed miserably! Isles had the worst goals against average when Tavares was Islander, he was just not a commited back checker thats why. It doesn't matter who he plays with, the guy is just an offensive player with no defensive commitment and guess what, you can't have 3 of them on one line with Tavares, Matthews, & Marner. Plus, Matthews is the better 1st liner.
Thanks for the answer. Might you know any example where an already elite player was able to up his production going from meh linemates to elite ones? Not trying to be a smarta**, genuinely curious..

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Thanks for the answer. Might you know any example where an already elite player was able to up his production going from meh linemates to elite ones? Not trying to be a smarta**, genuinely curious..
Not sure, to lazy to do research on that. A lot of the times when elite players move to another team, nothing really happens, because most of the times elite talent stay with their teams. Panarin upped his production with Zibanajad and vise-versa, thats one on the top of my head.

Reactions: bobbob

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Not sure, to lazy to do research on that. A lot of the times when elite players move to another team, nothing really happens, because most of the times elite talent stay with their teams. Panarin upped his production with Zibanajad and vise-versa, thats one on the top of my head.
Would still take Point without much thought, though I'm certainly a Bolts fan. That said, that's an excellent example, thanks!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Would still take Point without much thought, though I'm certainly a Bolts fan. That said, that's an excellent example, thanks!

Dude, I'm not saying Point stinks, but he is not that much different of a player than Barzal. Barzal is playing in a system that strangles his talents. Imagine this, Barzal only played 11 minutes the other day against the Bruins because they needed the Zajac, Palmeiri, Pageau line to cover the Bergeron line which was on the ice for like 20 minutes. Trotz did this all season. Also, Point plays with like players like Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Palat,...etc. If Point gets hurt, Tampa doesn't miss a beat. If the the Isles lose Barzal, they probably miss the playoffs, that is a huge difference!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad