Barzal vs Point , who would you rather have ?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's a difficult question as the Jets could use both but I think we need the dirty area scorer more then the playndriving playmaker.

Pretty similar talent levels but they play very different styles.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There are argument to be made from both sides, most likely coming down to personal preference on who you feel is better. I would prefer Barzy but understand why you'd pick Point. But if you think the difference is this wide, you're out to lunch

I'm not sure what the argument for Barzal over Point is. The argument for Point over Barzal is he produces a lot more in the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And if Brayden Point wasn't playing with Kucherov, he would have half less the points and no Stanley Cup! You see what I did there!!

Pretty much the only argument for Barzal over Point comes in hypotheticals rather than what actually happens on the ice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Put point with Leo Komarov and you’ll have your argument

His first playoff year he played with Johnson and Palat. 16 points in 17 games. Also, 7 goals that year, which is just 3 shy of Barzal's career total.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It’s Mr Clutch, Brayden Point for me. Combine his number of important and game deciding goals he’s already scored with his relentless forechecking game and speed and you get a lot to be excited about.

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
47 goals
Only time he has cracked 40
And yet despite NYI fans telling us for years that he'd be a hundert point player with star linemates, he wasn't even able to crack 90 that year, or since. Shouldn't be hard to figure out why there's skepticism about Barzal. Funnily, that same logic is coming from the same fanbase and being compared to yet another Lightning star, just like last time.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Switch Kucherov & Hedman for Mayfield & Komarov and we'll see if Brayden Point wins a Cup or even make the playoffs!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not all that convinced that Point would be as productive if you switched their teams
He would be in the playoffs. Maybe not the regular season, when Point plays a little more like Barzal. It's about the way he plays more than whom he plays with in the playoffs.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Point AINEC. Much more complete franchise center, significantly better goal scorer, and wipes the floor with Barzal as a two way forward. That's not a slight on Barzal because he's a fantastic player too, but Point is as good as it gets short of the generational talents.

I don't know why people are bringing up the supporting casts as if we haven't seen what Point can do as the #1 guy on a team. He had 33P in 23 games last playoffs with Stamkos out and was robbed of a Conn Smythe. He led Tampa in scoring this year with Kucherov out, Stamkos missing time with injuries, and Hedman clearly playing through something. He was their #1 guy last year in the playoffs and he was their #1 guy this season and he kicked ass just like always. Stamkos is the one feeding off Point, not the other way around.

The as good as it gets short of generational comment is as homer as it gets. McKinnon Matthews Kucherov might fall in that category not Point, not close, and one nice run doesn't change that. Heiskanen generational too now? 26 points last playoffs, 4 more than Mr. Conn Smythe, top 5 all time for a dman in the playoffs. One playoff run is great and it looks like he'll have more, but that doesn't make you borderline generational. He's this generations Joe Mullen, good small effective playoff performer on some good teams. Pretty forgettable as the years go by.

I don't know why it's all about his 33 points in 23 games, that's nice and all, but let's see why people are bringing up supporting cast... this season without the extra layer of HOF level support upfront he put up 48 points in 56 games, what roughly maybe a 70 point pace. Awesome, firmly in 33rd in the league in scoring right behind the legendary Ryan Strome. Barzal was 45 in 55. 3 less points in 1 less game in a system that somewhat hinders offence. You think he'd have 9 goals right now in the playoffs if he didn't have a borderline generational player like Kucherov making plays for him? Makes a difference, Point has the cast and Barzal doesn't to the same extent.

Last edited:

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
?

Point’s goal in tight was a thing of beauty. So was Barzal’s but I would hardly call today a point in either guys column. They both made a brilliant play.
No doubt, the ability for Point to elevate that puck in close without going over the net was impressive. I just felt Barzal's puck control and edge work in the zone created more chances offensively compared to what Point had done yesterday. IMO, the edge was minimal, but clear to see. I would not be surprised if Point comes back and outperforms Barzal tomorrow. That has never been my argument in this thread that Barzal is clearly the better of the two. Its been, to the lightning fans that claim there is no argument to be made for Barzal, that there is most definitely a case for Barzal to be the better player.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No doubt, the ability for Point to elevate that puck in close without going over the net was impressive. I just felt Barzal's puck control and edge work in the zone created more chances offensively compared to what Point had done yesterday. IMO, the edge was minimal, but clear to see. I would not be surprised if Point comes back and outperforms Barzal tomorrow. That has never been my argument in this thread that Barzal is clearly the better of the two. Its been, to the lightning fans that claim there is no argument to be made for Barzal, that there is most definitely a case for Barzal to be the better player.
Point doesn't have to outperform barzal , kucherov can

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Point

Although I watch Barzal all the time so I know his warts and get frustrated with him at times. Whereas I don't see Point a lot, but he always impresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad