• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What? lol

I am a huge fan of Barrie and defended him with the Leafs because under Keefe he played at 55 point pace etc and played well.

But guys like that are not easier to find than Brodie, Brodie is an actual top pairing Dman(I think he's a high end #3 low end #2). Those are much, much harder to find than Barrie types.

Just my two cents.
I think it’s a lot harder to find a 55 pt dman than a dman who’s decent at everything but not great at anything? I mean scoring 50 points as a dman means you’re basically top 10 in d scoring for the year.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think it’s a lot harder to find a 55 pt dman than a dman who’s decent at everything but not great at anything? I mean scoring 50 points as a dman means you’re basically top 10 in d scoring for the year.

I normally argue in favour of offensive dmen in these cases, but there is always a give and take and Barrie's "give" was painful to stomach on the Leafs. The guy was good on lower pairing, but he got burried against good comp in HDCF%.

Looks like with Edmonton, the give and take equation is worthwhile. It wasn't in Toronto.

upload_2021-2-26_9-34-37-png.400784

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I normally argue in favour of offensive dmen in these cases, but there is always a give and take and Barrie's "give" was painful to stomach on the Leafs. The guy was good on lower pairing, but he got burried against good comp in HDCF%.

Looks like with Edmonton, the give and take equation is worthwhile. It wasn't in Toronto.

upload_2021-2-26_9-34-37-png.400784

Also worth noting that Barrie has 18 points compared to Brodie’s 5 points.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Also worth noting that Barrie has 18 points compared to Brodie’s 5 points.

I think that gap is larger statistically than it is in talent. Slap Brodie on our Powerplay for 3-4 mins a game and I have a feeling the number would be quite a bit closer.

His 5v5 production has been a bit disappointing, though. Can't complain when he's defending so well. I believe the fact that he defers to Rielly for zone exits might affect his points too. He will never catch up in goals, though - Barrie is several tiers above when it comes to their shot.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think that gap is larger statistically than it is in talent. Slap Brodie on our Powerplay for 3-4 mins a game and I have a feeling the number would be quite a bit closer.

His 5v5 production has been a bit disappointing, though. Can't complain when he's defending so well. I believe the fact that he defers to Rielly for zone exits might affect his points too. He will never catch up in goals, though - Barrie is several tiers above when it comes to their shot.
Is it though? Last year was Barries worst year and he still paced for Brodies peak offensively. Like offensively it isn't even close between the two really.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Is it though? Last year was Barries worst year and he still paced for Brodies peak offensively. Like offensively it isn't even close between the two really.
I wonder if both teams are more than happy with what each guy brings to their respective teams?

I'd imagine so.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What? lol

I am a huge fan of Barrie and defended him with the Leafs because under Keefe he played at 55 point pace etc and played well.

But guys like that are not easier to find than Brodie, Brodie is an actual top pairing Dman(I think he's a high end #3 low end #2). Those are much, much harder to find than Barrie types.

Just my two cents.
Actual top pairing D aren't high end 3s.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I’m not saying they aren’t. I just think it’s disingenuous to say Brodie would be a similar player offensively if he was on the PP.
Oh I agree, he absolutely would not. Barrie is a guy Edmonton needed, and the kind of dman Toronto absolutely didn't.

It's a strange poll. It's like Yandle vs Morrissey or someone like that.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd say Barrie's kind of expected to play the McDonagh role in Tampa. A guy who put up points on his previous team, but is leaned on more for his defense/transition game on his new team behind other offensive guys (in Tampa, Hedman and Sergachev).

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

The gap in points between Barrie and Brodie has been apparent their whole careers. At this point it does speak to their talent, Barrie is MUCH better offensively and nobody should deny that. If we want to debate the difference between Barrie's offence and Brodie's defense that is subjective. Both teams are happy with the change, let's move on.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I love playing against Tyson Barrie, the offense flows so easily. Unforced turnovers, losing battles, always out of position, love to see it. Brodie absolutely locked McDavid down back to back games, love it. Not many players can say that. The importance of solid defending, Barrie is a massive liability and always will be, you can't win with him in your top 4.

Reactions: Auston 316

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Michael Hutchinson's stats

With Toronto Pre Barrie:
GP 5 W 2 GA 13 GAA 2.64 SV% .914 SO 1

Toronto With Barrie
GP 15 W 4 GA 48 GAA 3.66 SV% .886 SO 1

Toronto Post Barrie
GP 4 W 3 GA 7 GAA 1.76 SV% .943 SO 1

Coincidence!?!

Probably, yes.
That’s wild that the only thing that changed on the team that whole time was Barrie.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Color me shocked that the league slept on Brodie until he went to a bigger market. He's one of the best Dmen in the league
He do recall him getting quite a bit of acclaim in Calgary just not last year. Dubas really wanted him for Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad