Barrie vs Brodie

Who is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A defensemen who's capable of shutting McDavid down in back to back games with fantastic puck moving abilities or a glorified rover who's a net negative on the ice?

What a hard choice.
Well, he has shut down McDavid in 2 games, but didn't for multiple seasons. I think there is more to this scenario than you are suggesting. The Leafs played very good team defense the last two games. That is systems based primarily. The player has to be good enough to follow the system. And Brodie is, but that doesn't make him this premier #1 defenseman like some are suggesting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, he has shut down McDavid in 2 games, but didn't for multiple seasons. I think there is more to this scenario than you are suggesting. The Leafs played very good team defense the last two games. That is systems based primarily. The player has to be good enough to follow the system. And Brodie is, but that doesn't make him this premier #1 defenseman like some are suggesting.
I don't think people (or at least rational people) are calling him a premier #1 D-man. But, he's an ideal partner for Rielly, who minimizes what Rielly is weak at, who can then excel as a 55-65 point defender, which is towards the upper echelon of defenceman if they can also PK and eat tough minutes.

Reactions: hamzarocks

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

I have not seen anyone say that.

Leafs have a great system because they fired Babcock and have a top NHL coach now.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I do agree that Dubas should have not re-signed Barrie in Toronto but the whole situation blew up in his face. His first choice was Brodie but when that failed he rushed to trade for Barrie who is completely different player.

Instead, Dubas probably should have held on to Kadri and waited to sign Brodie in Free Agency. The difference in salary between Kerfoot and Kadri is $1 M.
But think, why was Dubas rushed? Was he in a rush or was he being pressured by the higher ups to move Naz? Remember, this was fresh off of his second straight suspension in playoffs. He costed Leafs young core 2 potential playoffs by being emotional and selfish.

We all love Naz, but let's call a spade a spade. He's a hot head and was costing the team, he also was ineffective in 3C role with arrival of JT. So a few things mixed together created perfect storm for his departure.

I still try to catch as many games I can of Avs to watch him. He was one of my favs here but sometimes you gotta move on.

Reactions: XXIV97

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Dubas needs to win GM of the year. Leafs are set up nicely for years because of his work. Who cares if he's made 1 or 2 mistakes. All Gms do.

Kadri screwed up big time. Never in NHL history has a player been suspended back to back years for the exact same thing.

Oh and interesting fact: Alex Keefoot is playing better than Kadri right now. Is Kadri regressing?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Lol, almost like it was a joke, even! How crazy that you still have to come and jump on HF and be Leaf fan police even though it was clearly a tongue in cheek post.
Must not have been that clear I guess. How crazy that you still have to come and jump on me and police my posts even though they were clearly sarcastic.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Must not have been that clear I guess. How crazy that you still have to come and jump on me and police my posts even though they were clearly sarcastic.
My post wasnt clear or are you pretending you were sarcastic after the fact? I've seen you post for a long time in every leaf related thread trying to be a hero against leafs fans. Nothing new in this one. Cant even take a simple joke anymore, youre jaded.

Reactions: zeke

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
My post wasnt clear or are you pretending you were sarcastic after the fact? I've seen you post for a long time in every leaf related thread trying to be a hero against leafs fans. Nothing new in this one. Cant even take a simple joke anymore, youre jaded.
So you’re allowed to be sarcastic, but I’m not. And I’m the one that’s jaded? I’m in threads that I find interesting, not just ones that involve the team I cheer for, if I wanted to do that I could just stay in that teams board. Not really sure what the issue is with commenting on main board threads. Should that only be allowed for leaf fans?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Head to head it hasn't gone so well. Basically we're debating a d-man who shuts things down versus an offensive PP d-man. Toronto needs the former not the latter and you're seeing the results of it.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Color me shocked that the league slept on Brodie until he went to a bigger market. He's one of the best Dmen in the league

Honest question:

Before the season started, I heard a lot of "now we'll see how much Giordano carried Brodie" and I had countered that with "couldn't we equally say now we'll see how successful Giordano is without Brodie"? I've read a lot of negative on Giordano this year. Is it just hitting the cliff or does Brodie's complementary play get undersold?

I've never been a fan of investing big bucks on a defender.....I prefer D by committee. As a result I highly value guys who on their own might not be world beaters but that are very complementary in allowing others to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weakness. It's the reason I was a much bigger fan of Hainsey than most.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honest question:

Before the season started, I heard a lot of "now we'll see how much Giordano carried Brodie" and I had countered that with "couldn't we equally say now we'll see how successful Giordano is without Brodie"?
I've read a lot of negative on Giordano this year. Is it just hitting the cliff or does Brodie's complementary play get undersold?
Gio carrying Brodie is a myth perpetuated mostly by Oilers fans. Brodie's other partners were the corpse of Dennis Wideman and a Travis Hamonic who now has one foot out of the league. When Giordano went down in 2015, Brodie carried the team to clinching a playoff spot in game 81 with Engelland of all people opposite him. Giordano also had 2 Norris caliber seasons alongside Brodie and could never replicate that form with Hamilton as his partner. We never accomplished anything with them together for various reasons but they're easily one of the best post-lockout pairings the league has seen.

The cracks in Gio's game really showed last season but Brodie covered them as well as he could. His new partner in Andersson is too green to do so and now we're seeing the full effects of his age - plus how many 37 year olds can comfortably play >20 mins a night and look good?

I've never been a fan of investing big bucks on a defender.....I prefer D by committee. As a result I highly value guys who on their own might not be world beaters but that are very complementary in allowing others to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weakness. It's the reason I was a much bigger fan of Hainsey than most.
Brodie skates well and thinks the game well. I wouldn't worry about his contract at all. If it were up to me, I would've given him Jeff Petry money

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Gio carrying Brodie is a myth perpetuated mostly by Oilers fans. Brodie's other partners were the corpse of Dennis Wideman and a Travis Hamonic who now has one foot out of the league. When Giordano went down in 2015, Brodie carried the team to clinching a playoff spot in game 81 with Engelland of all people opposite him. Giordano also had 2 Norris caliber seasons alongside Brodie and could never replicate that form with Hamilton as his partner. We never accomplished anything with them together for various reasons but they're easily one of the best post-lockout pairings the league has seen.

The cracks in Gio's game really showed last season but Brodie covered them as well as he could. His new partner in Andersson is too green to do so and now we're seeing the full effects of his age - plus how many 37 year olds can comfortable play >20 mins a night and look good?

Brodie skates well and thinks the game well. I wouldn't worry about his contract at all. If it were up to me, I would've given him Jeff Petry money

Shocker. :eyeroll:

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

The cracks in Gio's game really showed last season but Brodie covered them as well as he could. His new partner in Andersson is too green to do so and now we're seeing the full effects of his age - plus how many 37 year olds can comfortably play >20 mins a night and look good?

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked that question before the season wasn't a knock on Giordano but just the observation that he wasn't a guy who was in Norris discussions year after year but tended to get the votes when he was with Brodie, which for me leads me to question how much his success is a product of Brodie. Again, not that Brodie "carries" him but that he plays a very complementary game. For me that kind of player is gold.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Were his "Gardiner moments" an Oiler thing too? I've seen him make a bad pass maybe twice this season, he's shockingly consistent at moving the puck safely and effectively.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Dubas needs to win GM of the year. Leafs are set up nicely for years because of his work. Who cares if he's made 1 or 2 mistakes. All Gms do.

Kadri screwed up big time. Never in NHL history has a player been suspended back to back years for the exact same thing.

Oh and interesting fact: Alex Keefoot is playing better than Kadri right now. Is Kadri regressing?

At least one of Dubas or Keefe need to win the Gregory or Adams.
The Presidents trophy will help.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Barrie is good and was significantly better under Keefe (unsurprisingly), but he just wasn't the right fit. Brodie on the other hand, is what the Leafs have needed for ages and if it wasn't for Kadri rejecting a trade to Calgary, Brodie would have been a Leaf last season and Barrie would have never been one.

Still don't know why this is a 42 page thread.

Reactions: leafsfan5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad