Barrie vs Brodie

Who is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Gaudreau is a prolific offensive talent, he can make most D men look foolish. These things happen.

Thats as a forward checking him and then leaving him the open lane to the net while the dmen covered their men in the slot. JT chased the puck. Not sure why you posted this but as usual you were terrible in your assessment.

Also there is a big difference between missing an assignment and getting deked out of your jock, falling down and being embarrassed on a goal.

Reactions: 1specter

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thats as a forward checking him and then leaving him the open lane to the net while the dmen covered their men in the slot. JT chased the puck. Not sure why you posted this but as usual you were terrible in your assessment.

Also there is a big difference between missing an assignment and getting deked out of your jock, falling down and being embarrassed on a goal.
That was Brodie's man. He left his position, and Gaudreau scored right where he should have been, not chasing an already covered fwd in the high slot.. If we are scoring Gaudreau vs Barrie and Brodie. Then they are even.

That's why this video response to another video posted was so effective. Everyone can see it for themselves.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
That was Brodie's man. He left his position, and Gaudreau scored right where he should have been, not chasing no one in the high slot.. If we are scoring Gaudreau vs Barrie and Brodie.
Then they are even.

That's why this video response to another video was so effective. Everyone can see it for themselves.
Tavares had him in the corner, as the centerman on that lineup he switched with brodie to take defensive responisbility so brodie went to the slot to cover Tavares' position, JT switched back and didnt communicate, chased the puck and left HIS MAN open.

[MOD]

JT made an error, brodie didnt see it and made his own error on the play as well by chasing a little too high/too late into the slot. At no point did either of them get embarrassed, it was missed assignments.

Your new favorite player, Barrie, got embarrassed and screwed his d partner who was left in no mans land.

You dont see the difference because you dont want to though, we all know what you post like and how you switch your opinion to be anti leaf no matter what.

Tell us again about how Barrie scored that GWG when he scored the 3rd goal in a 3-0 win again though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marner to Matthews

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tavares had him in the corner, as the centerman on that lineup he switched with brodie to take defensive responisbility so brodie went to the slot to cover Tavares' position, JT switched back and didnt communicate, chased the puck and left HIS MAN open.
I disagree. It's hockey 101 for a D man not to leave your side of the crease chasing the high slot when there was a fwd already covering Monahan. That was 100% Brodie's man by right of the crease, he decided to go for a skate in the high slot. Gaudreau snuck behind him and scored where he should have been. But as I said, Gaudreau is a prolific offensive player, and he can make D men look foolish, as he did on Brodie there.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I disagree. It's hockey 101 for a D man not to leave your side of the crease chasing the high slot when there was a fwd already covering Monahan. That was 100% Brodie's man by right of the crease, he decided to go for a skate in the high slot. Gaudreau snuck behind him and scored where he should have been. But as I said, Gaudreau is a prolific offensive player, and he can make D men look foolish, as he did on Brodie there.
You must have skipped hockey 101 then because thats not how defensive zone play works. Gaudreau undressed Barrie, embarrassed him in the corner. He was left open by Tavares while brodie covered too high in the slot.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We desperately needed puck movement and offence. Offence still does matter when the game between him and Brodie is this massive. Barrie is presently 2nd amongst all D men with 15 points.

Barrie: 19 GP - 3G + 12A = 15 points

Brodie: 18 GP - 0G + 5A = 5 points

Barrie has three times the amount of points and he’s looking very confident and playing well on the top pairing. Made a clutch defensive play at the end of the game to deflect a Tkachuk shot from point blank range with under a minute left.

Thanks for the update and for making my point for me. Offense matters if that is what you want the guy for. Everyone knows Barrie is very gifted offensively but at a price. By your metric Barrie is vastly superior to Chara and always has been. Do you think that's true?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
38 pages of this? Jesus Christ, imo PP qb dwingers are over rated, Leafs have had many over the years.

A solid 2 way damn like Brodie is IMO a lot more valuable, especially in the playoffs. Barrie was really bad last year tho.

Btw Brodie has been a lot better than Rielly this year, Mo has really taken a step back this year, his IQ seems to really stagnate as a defenseman
Taking a step back is the opposite of stagnating :P

Most sane people would say he has had a bad start, not suddenly become worse.

Barrie was mostly misused but performed well when given first powerplay usage. Coaching was his issue.

The only thing you got right was Brodie is more valuable and even then that is only to a team needing defense over offense.

All in all a terrible post.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
TWS was probably a huge Barrie hater last year when he was on the leafs - and argued how the leafs new a more defensive minded dman like Brodie.

Now that Brodie is on the leafs and Barrie is on another team - Barrie is all of a sudden way better dman and Brodie isn’t good anymore lol.

Don’t even respond and feed the trolls

I mean at the end of the day, the Leafs are a better team with Brodie than Barrie. Barrie scored at his 60 point pace under Keefe but he didn't help us at all where we needed it. Leafs can score at will. Having someone be dependable and play a quiet game in the top 4 was very welcome.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean at the end of the day, the Leafs are a better team with Brodie than Barrie. Barrie scored at his 60 point pace under Keefe but he didn't help us at all where we needed it. Leafs can score at will. Having someone be dependable and play a quiet game in the top 4 was very welcome.
It's cool if he's a superior fit, but unfortunately that isn't very relevant to "who is better?".

BTW, Barrie with Leafs was superior in just about every advanced stat, for example CF% Barrie had 53% Brodie 47%.

I'd say you just focused on Barrie's visible mistakes and completely ignored the rest of his game, which is pretty typical of people who don't really understand puck-carrying offensive defensemen as an archetype.
Gaudreau made him lose an edge.
You can't "make" someone lose an edge, unless you trip them I guess. You can "make" someone turn, that's all.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's cool if he's a superior fit, but unfortunately that isn't very relevant to "who is better?".

BTW, Barrie with Leafs was superior in just about every advanced stat, for example CF% Barrie had 53% Brodie 47%.

I'd say you just focused on Barrie's visible mistakes and completely ignored the rest of his game, which is pretty typical of people who don't really understand puck-carrying offensive defensemen as an archetype.

You can't "make" someone lose an edge, unless you trip them I guess. You can "make" someone turn, that's all.

If people want to crown him better, or better yet give him the contract such a player is worth, I don't think Leaf fans will lose any sleep over it.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

In terms of isolated defensive impact, they are not even close. Barrie is dogshit in his own zone.

Reactions: WillyNy

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Brodie after 18 GP. 45.5 CF%, -3.9% CF% rel. 46.8 FF%, -2.3 FF% rel. 107.2 PDO

A regression is coming for him.

Yup.

Doesn’t really add anything offensively either, especially not nearly what Barrie brings. Barrie would likely win this poll if it was redone.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Barrie is a good dman but ya he’s prone to blunders last night he fell down in the corner and allowed gaudreau to set up the flames goal. Overall he’s been great for Edmonton still great value at his contract

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
In a vacuum, barrie is the better player but brodie is a much better fit for the leafs and barrie is a good fit with the oilers

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
The funny part about this thread is how much I would hear flames fans whine about how crappy Brodie was then seeing Leafs fans rejoice at how they had somehow made a huge upgrade by replacing Barrie with him. They are very comparable from what I can tell but Barrie is having the much better season

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Barrie shot tipped by McDavid. Another assist for Barrie.

What a great signing he’s been.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Another win for the leafs, vaulting themselves way into first place in the division. Great pickup Brodie helping the stability on the defensive end.

Winning the poll by over 200 votes too, wow. Seems pretty evident who's the better defender.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Taking a step back is the opposite of stagnating :P

Most sane people would say he has had a bad start, not suddenly become worse.

Barrie was mostly misused but performed well when given first powerplay usage. Coaching was his issue.

The only thing you got right was Brodie is more valuable and even then that is only to a team needing defense over offense.

All in all a terrible post.

Okay? Does putting other people down make you feel better? Pathetic existence

Rielly is terrible this year, Brodie is better.

Barrie was not misused he was objectively terrible despite Keefe giving him ample opportunity.

The only thing right with your post is your inflated ego, BTW taking a step back in IQ and stagnating as a player makes perfect sense, don't know what I said or did to you for that response, maybe not alot going on in your life eh Bud?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Okay? Does putting other people down make you feel better? Pathetic existence

Rielly is terrible this year, Brodie is better.

Barrie was not misused he was objectively terrible despite Keefe giving him ample opportunity.

The only thing right with your post is your inflated ego, BTW taking a step back in IQ and stagnating as a player makes perfect sense, don't know what I said or did to you for that response, maybe not alot going on in your life eh Bud?
Barrie was very obviously misused under Babcock. Once Keefe took over his play improved dramatically and the advanced stats confirm that.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Barrie was very obviously misused under Babcock. Once Keefe took over his play improved dramatically and the advanced stats confirm that.
Yeah but he still wasn't a top 4 D, he got points , but in the playoffs and in tight games he was non existent, especially in the playoffs. Rielly got injured and Barrie was not ready to play big minutes.

I guess that's not what the Leafs needed but I'm sure his advanced stats improved under Keefe, but he was still not very good IMO. I wouldn't even take him for a minimum contract on the Leafs tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad